PDA

View Full Version : DS hits 20 million sales in Japan

Shrygue
November 19th, 2007, 18:08
via Games Industry (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=30753)

Nintendo's DS handheld has sold over 20 million units in Japan since launch, according to data from Media Create.

The system was originally launched in December 2004, and in February 2006 was relaunched at the DS Lite, with Nintendo reducing the size of the handheld as well as making other cosmetic changes.

Since release, the DS and DS Lite have accounted for 50.26 per cent of the hardware market in the region, with 83.95 million software units sold, or 40 per cent of the entire software market.

wiggy fuzz
November 19th, 2007, 19:44
putting things into perspective the original gameboy and gameboy color took what? 8 or 9 years to reach 111 million sales, and the GBA took 6 to top 80 million

the DS has been around for just under 3 years (it's 3rd birthday for its US release is in a few days time) andit's already topped 50 million sales. if you ask me, that's just plain incredible, and nintendo have proved for the third time that a cheaper less powerful handheld system is more popular than a handheld powerhouse.

i just find it truly outstanding, i'm amazed nintendo have managed to do this three times in a row with its handheld systems (four if you count the game and watch :p)

now, if they could just lower the price of the wii...

JKKDARK
November 19th, 2007, 23:06
Congratulations Nintendo :) This handheld is kicking PSP ass :)

Cerepol
November 21st, 2007, 01:46
^all I can say is

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMNN NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Now that's what you call successful