PDA

View Full Version : Daedalus News - And the winner is..

wraggster
November 20th, 2007, 02:00
News from our friend StrmnNrmn:

This has been one of the hardest posts I've had to write, because I know whichever entry I pick as winner of the icon competition, a lot of people are going to be disappointed that I didn't pick their favourite.

Trying to select a winner has forced me to think about what I wanted to get out of this competition. On the surface, the main goal of the competition was just to replace the ugly default icon on the PSP's XMB. However as I've checked out all the entries over the past couple of weeks, I've come to realise that the main objective of the competition should be to define an identity for Daedalus.

In the end, one of the main criteria I've used to select the winner is how well the design works as a logo, or identity, for the project as a whole. For this reason I've picked Patrick Ahmann's design:

I think Patrick's design is wonderfully clean and stylish, and the colours look especially crisp and vibrant on the PSP's screen*. The typography, particularly for the 'daedalus' logo is very simple and distinctive and I think it would work well as a logo on the web. What's more, I got quite excited about using the cog motif on the logo as a progress indicator on loading screens :)

So, well done Patrick!

I want to say a big 'thank you' to everyone who contributed. Many people put a lot of work into this and I'm really sorry that I could only pick one winner. I think the quality of the final 10 was excellent, so if you disagree with my choice hopefully there's something there for you :)

-StrmnNrmn

More Info --> http://strmnnrmn.blogspot.com/2007/11/and-winner-is.html

Johnny Rash
November 20th, 2007, 02:05
Is it just me, or does it look like the standard model for the earth's interior?

pibs
November 20th, 2007, 02:06
Good choice, I also thought that was the most creative and original out of the rest. It kind of reminds me of irshell for some reason lol

CaptainMorgan4
November 20th, 2007, 02:06
I hate to say it but he picked what I thought was the ugliest one of the ten, but I respect his decision none the less.

BloodLust8
November 20th, 2007, 04:48
I agree to captianMorgan4. It was by the ugliest skin.

It would be nice if strmn could make it skinable, using zip files for the icons etc.... but then again we don't use Daedalus to surf the menu all day:)

Raziel-chan
November 20th, 2007, 10:16
Heh, he picked the one I liked the most.

It kind of reminds me of HAL 9000 and few other things... Oh, yeah, those Squid Robots' eyes in Megas XLR.

cya
Raziel-chan

kjetil1991
November 20th, 2007, 18:12
i saw some others that i liked more but it was good enough =)