PDA

View Full Version : PicoDrive for PSP v1.35a - Genesis/Sega CD Emulator for the PSP

wraggster
November 20th, 2007, 06:36
http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/pico1.jpg

Notaz has posted a small update to his excellent Genesis/Sega CD emulator for the PSP

Heres whats new:

Well that test-a-bios-and-you-are-screwed bug was quite a serious one, so I've done an update:

fixed a bug which prevented to load any ROMs after testing the BIOS.
fixed incorrect CZ80 memory map setup, which caused Z80 crashes and graphics corruption in EU Mega CD model1 BIOS menus.
added additional "set to 4:3 scaled" display option for convenience.
added an option to disable frame limitter (works only with non-auto frameskip).

Download from the release thread in our forums here --> http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=545839#post545839

Add to the PicoDrive for PSP Compatability list here (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=79605)

Veskgar
November 20th, 2007, 07:22
I spotted this in the original PicoDrive thread and I'm so glad to see another thread on the main news page announcing it. It may be a small update but any update to this impressive emulator is news worthy if you ask me.

I've already upgraded 2 of my PSP's to this latest release.

Notaz pointed out that although this emulator may have seemingly come out of nowhere, this emulator has actually been a project 2 years in the making. Learning that really made me appreciate the time and effort that went into this.

Thanks for everything Notaz and also to all who have helped you along the way. This is the type of homebrew release that has potential to attract many more people to the wonders of PSP homebrew & emulation.

DarthPaul
November 20th, 2007, 08:49
Wiii!! Awesome!

Keep updating this thing, everyone loves it.

V3N0M
November 20th, 2007, 08:57
Well I'm hoping notaz will see how much everyone appreciates this emulator and give him some motivation to continue it now instead of later. Thank You notaz!

Baboon
November 20th, 2007, 08:58
Ideal, its great your ironing out the little bugs for us all! ...Keep em coming! :)

I know it will take a quite a bit more time but if you could implement adhoc multiplayer then that would be great (then I can truly delete Dgen from my memory stick). :)

John Vattic
November 20th, 2007, 11:22
Very nice emulator man! :thumbup: Also a bonus that you update it!

good work!

Sharpy
November 20th, 2007, 12:50
phenomenal emulator, Notaz, thanks for the update of this top sega emu.

Sonicboy 101
November 20th, 2007, 12:53
Fantastic update, thanks a lot notaz! :)

armyStrong
November 20th, 2007, 12:56
Thanks a ton...This emulator has very quickly become one of my favorite reasons to turn on my psp.

darthhaze420
November 20th, 2007, 13:25
yes best emulator in a wile thank you for the hard work

Vega
November 20th, 2007, 14:07
nice! Thanks for the update notaz!

One of the best emulators on the scene right now! I loved the modest release :) (no year long hype, no alpha releases, etc), just on the scene , released , no BS , perfect emulator!

Thanks man... playing Sonic CD on the PSP is awesome

kharaboudjan
November 20th, 2007, 15:19
its the best that could have happened to the psp. now we got it all besides N64 :D

Vampy
November 20th, 2007, 15:53
its the best that could have happened to the psp. now we got it all besides N64 :DSNES still sucks tremendous ass.

DarthPaul
November 20th, 2007, 15:59
I still can't get why people keep saying that SNES emulation sucks on PSP. I can play all games full speed and pretty smoothly using Snes9xTYL.

Mr. Shizzy
November 20th, 2007, 16:22
This is very exciting indeed :)

Much thanks to notaz for blessing us with an update.

*begins praying notaz decides to continue the updates*

Vampy
November 20th, 2007, 16:55
I still can't get why people keep saying that SNES emulation sucks on PSP. I can play all games full speed and pretty smoothly using Snes9xTYL.
I still can't get why people keep saying that SNES emulation is practically perfect on PSP. I can't play any games full speed using Snes9xTYL.

DarthPaul
November 20th, 2007, 16:59
I still can't get why people keep saying that they can't get any SNES game at full speed. I bet they're noobs and they don't know how to change the options of the emulator.

Mew
November 20th, 2007, 17:16
you rock! :)
I'm playing now SonicCD flawflessly :D
great!!

Vampy
November 20th, 2007, 17:32
I still can't get why people keep saying that they can't get any SNES game at full speed. I bet they're noobs and they don't know how to change the options of the emulator.
Yeah, I'm sure you have everything running perfectly at 60FPS, no frame drops, 0 frameskip, and vsync on.

repuken2
November 20th, 2007, 17:44
Snes works great for me! wich games you tried that play so bad?
Anyway GREAT EMU notaz, i always wanted to play Final Fight CD on the psp. Great piece of work, thanks for your efforts.

carpy
November 20th, 2007, 18:02
I still don't get why people make such a fuss about SNES one way or the other.

Nintendo Systems Suck and the SNES is the worst of them.

jurkevicz
November 20th, 2007, 18:12
Whatever.... you probably have no clue what videogames are all about... Nes and Snes have the best classic games ever. Sequels from today's systems came from those two systems.

ab88
November 20th, 2007, 18:20
I still don't get why people argue on the internet. We all know the rest of the sentence ;]

repuken2
November 20th, 2007, 18:20
Snes is the best system ever!!! period.

Mr. Shizzy
November 20th, 2007, 18:40
Please, lets stay on topic about notaz's Picodrive

Johnny_Mcbride
November 20th, 2007, 19:10
Please, lets stay on topic about notaz's Picodrive

Agreed.

Great update notaz. Thanks mate :)

carpy
November 20th, 2007, 20:44
Whatever.... you probably have no clue what videogames are all about... Nes and Snes have the best classic games ever. Sequels from today's systems came from those two systems.

I prefer my Atari 7800 and Sega Master System/Genesis, thanks.

It just irks me when there's a thread about a absolutely perfect, great new Sega Emulator, and all the jerkoff Nintendo Fanboys mess it up with their complaints about SNES Emulation speed.

this thread isn't about any Nintendo product. Shut it.

da1writer
November 20th, 2007, 21:36
Holy Crap!
Would some of you guys stop *****ing and get over yourselves about other emulators. Some of ya'll are so off-topic it's not even funny.
What is this thread about? Hmmm...
Oh wait, if I remeber correctly after sifting through a few people's spam...
Notaz's Picodrive update!
Stay on topic people, you hop on this thread to discuss and give thanks to Notaz and his newest update only, not other things.
I am going to see if a wraggster could sift through the spam and delete the posts that don't add to the topic of this thread.
Lesson to learn for today: Keep your eye on the ball, looking in other directions is not going to get you to hit it...

Robert de Clair
November 20th, 2007, 21:50
Yeah Fantastic Dizzy working with music :)
Shadow of The Beast working perfectly :)
thank yoou thank you thank you

Vega
November 20th, 2007, 22:03
Yeah Fantastic Dizzy working with music :)

crap dude, I forgot to try Fantastic Dizzy on this emulator :thumbup: If it works as you say, then Im very pleased!

Also its great that Wonder Boy in Monster World now works perfectly. Dgen couldnt even get passed the title screen!

Aaah... dizzy and wonderboy for me then... that will take up a good few hours :D:D:D:D:D

wraggster
November 20th, 2007, 22:30
Yes please stay on topic this is a fantastic release by Notaz and even better he has updated because of so much exposure and the overall great feeling about this emulator.

So please just discuss this emulator only

hack.fool
November 20th, 2007, 23:15
Awesome work Notaz
this emulator really rock, it got solid 60 fps as the Mega CD itself! (n_n)

i only got some issue entering Picodrive folder in the menu to load rom, but with my other memory stick everything works fine..I guess why.

anyway thanks so much for the release

geise69
November 21st, 2007, 11:50
Hmmm I've been playing Picodrive on my GP2X since April, but I'm curious to try this psp version out. I have been having issues with the GP2X version freezing with Vay at random. It doesn't even matter what settings I use or clock speed. It's really the only game that has this random freezing issue for me. How is Vay in this release?

argor
November 21st, 2007, 12:25
Hmmm I've been playing Picodrive on my GP2X since April, but I'm curious to try this psp version out. I have been having issues with the GP2X version freezing with Vay at random. It doesn't even matter what settings I use or clock speed. It's really the only game that has this random freezing issue for me. How is Vay in this release?
trust me if vay will not run on gp2x version then it will not run on psp version the Compatability is loler in psp version

DarthPaul
November 21st, 2007, 13:12
How is Vay in this release?

It is perfect. :)

Just downloaded it to test it and reply to your comment and plays and sounds very well.

Baboon
November 21st, 2007, 13:30
It is perfect. :)

Just downloaded it to test it and reply to your comment and plays and sounds very well.

I'm sure you actualy ment:

Just ripped my Sega CD disk to test it and reply to your comment and plays and sounds very well. ;)

DarthPaul
November 21st, 2007, 13:32
Lmao. :rofl::rofl:

Well, I like saying the truth.

Edit: And another fact, is that I just deleted it after testing it. Like most of the ISOs say in a read-me. "Please delete in 24 hours." :rolleyes:

JKKDARK
November 21st, 2007, 13:38
Glad to see a Sega CD emu for PSP finally :)

Baboon
November 21st, 2007, 13:53
Lmao. :rofl::rofl:

Well, I like saying the truth.

Edit: And another fact, is that I just deleted it after testing it. Like most of the ISOs say in a read-me. "Please delete in 24 hours." :rolleyes:

I also like saying the truth... and the truth is you will get you banned from this site if you brag about downloading ISO's. :rofl: :rofl: :D

drchoihui
November 21st, 2007, 17:54
It runs much faster than Dgen and PSPGenesis.

It hangs when loading the genesis game "Lighting in the dark".

kharaboudjan
November 21st, 2007, 18:48
yeah, both dgen and pspgenesis was too slow to be playable. so i never really cared about sega 16 bit emulation on the psp.

but notaz has now "unlocked" hundreds of games for the megadrive that we can enjoy =)

i have been playing picodrive since it came out a couple of days ago!

i have noticed a couple of small bugs. but they are just charming, the emulator would be scary perfect otherwise =)

notaz
November 21st, 2007, 20:04
It hangs when loading the genesis game "Lighting in the dark".
You probably mean Shining in the Darkness?
Confirmed as a bug.

Vega
November 21st, 2007, 21:55
yeah, both dgen and pspgenesis was too slow to be playable.

come off it. Dgen was very playable. The only thing bad with Dgen was small sound bugs with a few games and a few games needing +1 frameskip. It was extremley playable. I completed Fantastic Dizzy, Sonic 2,3,&knuckles, Revenge of Shinobi and Kid Chameleon using Dgen and not once was it an annoying experience.

That said, Picodrive is superior. Picodrive is one of the best emulators for PSP now. As I stated before... its not only the awesome porting that makes it so special, but the fact that it was a modest release with no year long buzz and no alpha releases. It makes a world of difference when a project surprises the community.

But the recent disregard for dgen now and saying that it was unplayable is kinda dumb. It was a very playable emulator.

odino
November 21st, 2007, 21:56
Notaz, is possible an option for high brightness/contrast?

trust me if vay will not run on gp2x version then it will not run on psp version the Compatability is loler in psp version

Uhm a C code is more stable that an recompiler.

notaz
November 21st, 2007, 22:30
Notaz, is possible an option for high brightness/contrast?

Yes it is planned.

Uhm a C code is more stable that an recompiler.
GP2X version doesn't use a recompiler, just a fast interpreter.

odino
November 21st, 2007, 23:22
Yes it is planned.

Good!:cool:

GP2X version doesn't use a recompiler, just a fast interpreter.

:eek: Wow a fast interpreter, it's also very very fast on my old smartphone! but is it an asm core?

Anyway, thanks for the reply.;)

Veskgar
November 22nd, 2007, 01:50
The only game Genesis game so far that has slowed this emulator down when using 0 frameskip is Ristar. But just pressing triangle to swich to fast renderer and the game plays perfect.

The only thing bad with Dgen was small sound bugs with a few games and a few games needing +1 frameskip. It was extremley playable.
Yes, it was certainly playable (except on Slim PSP's) and very good for casual gamers or as a novelty to be able to show off. However, even just +1 frameskip can get in the way of gameplay and become an annoyance to those like me who usually notice every little detail, slow-down, sound crackle, etc.

It makes a world of difference when a project surprises the community.
That is so true. When something like this is released without any rumors speculation, it causes a massive shock wave throughout the scene. So much so that it attracts newcomers to start taking part in using homebrew.

But the recent disregard for dgen now and saying that it was unplayable is kinda dumb. It was a very playable emulator.
I do agree that respect should be given to all the work that went into DGEN. Coders shouldn't have to worry or feel pressured that their project or emulator might not be the best and therefore frowned upon. Work on DGEN seems to have been ceased and many were left wanting more.

The release of PicoDrive has been more of a joy to me because I use a Slim & Lite PSP and the latest DGEN won't work without the 1.50 kernel.

Vega
November 22nd, 2007, 03:52
The release of PicoDrive has been more of a joy to me because I use a Slim & Lite PSP and the latest DGEN won't work without the 1.50 kernel.

Ah I see. I'm a PSP Slim noob to be quite honest. Never even had my hands / claw on one of 'em yet (I know, for shame).

I can understand now why this is big for Slim users :thumbup:

Gibb
November 22nd, 2007, 05:01
This is a really fantastic release, thanks so much for making this! :)

Unfortunately I ran into a problem with one of my favorite games of all time! Snatcher...

It boots, and plays fantastically every inch intact, till I get to the turbo cycle to go to the factory ruins, it just shows an animation of you driving, it never freezes but just gets stuck at that point.

No buttons do a thing. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Thanks for your help! (By the way, I have not tried messing with settings, if there is anything that might work, tell me.)

Gibb
November 22nd, 2007, 05:26
Tried all those, still hangs. I'll take a look at the readme. :)

notaz
November 22nd, 2007, 09:09
:eek: Wow a fast interpreter, it's also very very fast on my old smartphone! but is it an asm core?

Yes.

When something like this is released without any rumors speculation, it causes a massive shock wave throughout the scene.
Well I already had it working around a month ago (it was buggy and unstable), but I chose to surprise the community with a quality release, and it seems it worked.. Maybe except a few bugs which I missed (my ability to find bugs alone is nothing compared to hundreds of PSP users, so there is nothing strange about that..)

Unfortunately I ran into a problem with one of my favorite games of all time! Snatcher...

It boots, and plays fantastically every inch intact, till I get to the turbo cycle to go to the factory ruins, it just shows an animation of you driving, it never freezes but just gets stuck at that point.

You are not the first reporting this, I will try to reproduce it myself.

Gibb
November 22nd, 2007, 20:11
You are not the first reporting this, I will try to reproduce it myself.

Apparently its a rip problem.

http://forums.segaxtreme.net/showthread.php?t=550

So it seems I need to go into audacity and adjust the audio length. I'll report back if it works.

notaz
November 23rd, 2007, 09:02
Apparently its a rip problem.

http://forums.segaxtreme.net/showthread.php?t=550

Makes sense, as it works fine for me.

Gibb
November 23rd, 2007, 13:32
Well my Snatcher makes a good ISO, but my mp3s are fudged, is it bad to ask for the mp3s? :confused:

PS2MAN
November 23rd, 2007, 16:40
Hey notaz great emulator, its extremely impressive as it wasnt designed for the PSP, yet is pretty much flawless. You've done an amazing job.

Considering the PSP is more powerfull than a gp2x, do you recon in the possible future 32x support could be possible? I know 32x sucks ass but Knuckles Chaotix is a good game, would be great portable.

kharaboudjan
November 23rd, 2007, 20:46
Hey notaz great emulator, its extremely impressive as it wasnt designed for the PSP, yet is pretty much flawless. You've done an amazing job.

Considering the PSP is more powerfull than a gp2x, do you recon in the possible future 32x support could be possible? I know 32x sucks ass but Knuckles Chaotix is a good game, would be great portable.

so, you are asking notaz to do 32x support for 1 game, Knuckles Chaotix? you really dont understand how difficult it would be to do a 32x emu. so please give notaz some peace! he has done a fantastic job dont push him to do those kind of projects.

it would be better if he could port some other gp2x emulators, like their amiga ;) but im not asking for it, if notaz wants to he will do it without my wish :p

PS2MAN
November 23rd, 2007, 21:10
so, you are asking notaz to do 32x support for 1 game, Knuckles Chaotix? you really dont understand how difficult it would be to do a 32x emu. so please give notaz some peace! he has done a fantastic job dont push him to do those kind of projects.

it would be better if he could port some other gp2x emulators, like their amiga ;) but im not asking for it, if notaz wants to he will do it without my wish :p

no was asking if it was possible since he has experience with Genesis emu and the PSP/GP2X hardware. And if its a yes, I know someone who could prob encorperate their 32x emu into this. But since I am clueless, its worth asking first before I bother them :cool:

darknight88
November 24th, 2007, 12:56
The only thing i would request of notaz, is to add 9~10 save state slots to each individual ROM/game. I noticed that i saved Earthworm Jim and Sonic CD and only have like 7 open save slots. I'd rather have each game have its own set so you dont run out. Besides that, this thing awesome!!

SpacemanSpiff
November 24th, 2007, 15:25
What are you talking about? Each game has separate save slots.

SpacemanSpiff
November 24th, 2007, 19:41
Notaz -- would it be possible to add an option to force PAL games to play at 60 Hz? Mega Man Wily Wars feels too slow playing at 50.

Saracchini
November 24th, 2007, 22:21
Notaz -- would it be possible to add an option to force PAL games to play at 60 Hz? Mega Man Wily Wars feels too slow playing at 50.

Just play the Japanese version. The texts are in english too and the it runs at 60 Hz speed , the unique difference is "Rockman" instead "Megaman".

notaz
November 24th, 2007, 22:45
The only thing i would request of notaz, is to add 9~10 save state slots to each individual ROM/game. I noticed that i saved Earthworm Jim and Sonic CD and only have like 7 open save slots. I'd rather have each game have its own set so you dont run out. Besides that, this thing awesome!!
Pico takes basename for savestates from the ISO filename. Just name the ISOs differently and they will not use same save slots.

Just added it, for fun. Needed only 2 lines of code.

SpacemanSpiff
November 25th, 2007, 03:37
Just added it, for fun. Needed only 2 lines of code.

darknight88
November 25th, 2007, 18:49
Pico takes basename for savestates from the ISO filename. Just name the ISOs differently and they will not use same save slots.

Well you see, my Sega Cd games are in ISO+MP3 format so each sega cd game is in it individual folder but inside all the game's iso's are name "track 01.iso" and if i change that format, i think the MP3s that go along with the game wont work with it. Any ideas and i hope i make sense.

(ex:

+Earthworm Jim[folder]
|- Track01.iso[image]
|- Track02.mp3

+Sonic CD[folder]
|- Track01.iso[image]
|- Track02.mp3

)

Maybe thats why the 10 or so slots are shared between my Sega CD games?

SpacemanSpiff
November 25th, 2007, 19:05
Your mp3s will work as long as they have the same name as your iso. For example, just rename your sonic cd files sonic cd 01.iso, sonic cd 02.mp3, sonic cd 03.mp3 etc. and it should still work.

darknight88
November 26th, 2007, 03:48
Really^^??

Awesome! I didnt know that. Alright then, i do that when i get the chance.

**Also remember version "b" has been released!**