PDA

View Full Version : Uberjack - The infernal question

wraggster
November 22nd, 2007, 21:34
Our Forum Member Uberjack has posted this on his blog (http://0xff.akop.org/2007/11/22/the-infernal-question/):

One question that I’ve been asked time and time again (and most recently by zx-81) is “why bother porting an emulator when there are other ports already?” This question was beaten to death when SMS Plus PSP was first released, and still comes up occasionally.

The number one reason is simply that I enjoy porting software to PSP, especially classic computer emulators. I like pushing the limits and capabilities of the (yet unnamed) psp library that I’ve been developing since the first fMSX release. The fact that another emulator may already exist (and may, in fact, be better) is a non-issue for me, as I don’t do it for any reason other than my personal satisfaction.

Second reason is that I believe having a choice in emulators is great. The only reason I got into programming for PSP is because I thought that the MSX emulators of the time could be a lot better.

I attempt to port in a manner that makes it possible to merge the PSP port with the main branch of the emulator, and I’m happy to let any interested maintainer of the emulator merge my code with theirs. I don’t generally touch emulation code, unless it results in significant optimization—the only exception to this rule has so far been fMSX and inclusion of SCC/MSXMusic/MSXAudio - and it’s largely thanks to the efforts of Vincent van Dam and his excellent fMSX SDL port.

When possible, I attempt to port a different emulator than one that’s already available. For example, as mentioned earlier, Caprice32 was not my first choice for a CPC emulator. Unfortunately, Arnold’s performance was nowhere near “acceptable,” so Caprice was my second choice.

And finally, there are a number of ported, working, but unfinished emulators that are currently littering my svn repository’s trunk branch, some of which may eventually see the light of day.

Hope this was enlightening. Comments are welcome.

I agree, competition amongst coders only improves the emulators.

gelon
November 22nd, 2007, 22:39
I love the ZX81 and Uberjack work

This is not an infernal question ... this is an stupid question :mad:

FOL
November 23rd, 2007, 16:36
Nice post, its always nice to have alternatives. Keep it up uberjack, Goodluck with everything you do.

Murdock
November 24th, 2007, 11:27
Our Forum Member Uberjack has posted this on his blog (http://0xff.akop.org/2007/11/22/the-infernal-question/):

The number one reason is simply that I enjoy porting software to PSP, especially classic computer emulators. I like pushing the limits and capabilities of the (yet unnamed) psp library that I’ve been developing since the first fMSX release. The fact that another emulator may already exist (and may, in fact, be better) is a non-issue for me, as I don’t do it for any reason other than my personal satisfaction.

Thank you for your work and contribution to the PSP Scene!

I am really glad to see that SOME ppl. here in the scene work on their projects mainly because they enjoy their work and try to improve themselves. More and more "successful" coders around seem to do it mainly for the fame and the glory ... and that's just SAD!

So keep working and improving your projects as long as it gives u satisfaction!

Greetings,

Howling Mad Murdock

xcjzerox
November 25th, 2007, 23:03
nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

zx-81
November 26th, 2007, 13:23
I love the ZX81 and Uberjack work

This is not an infernal question ... this is an stupid question :mad:

You're right, that's why Uberjack and i, share informations and source code to improve our/others work. There is no competition between coders (we are not a company trying to make money and to kill competitors). Only the pleasure to code, port , and improve emulators, and to share the passion of old-school stuff (as far as i'm concerned).

I've asked Uberjack why he ported existing emu, because there are many emulators left (unfinished, dead project, or not started), and it might be "better" to port those ones.

But i was wrong, we are all differents, and we code for distinct reasons. I've begun a "porting quest of all old school stuff" from a year and half now, but Uberjack isn't me, and he is doing those ports for his own reasons :).

Keep up the good work Akop ;)

Baboon
November 26th, 2007, 13:36
Keep the ports and releases coming please!... having a handheld that plays all my fav old skool stuff is why I still keep booting up my psp! :)

@ Uberjack and ZX:
How hard would it be to port 'Arculator' the Acorn Archimedes to psp? http://b-em.bbcmicro.com/arculator/download.html

....or any other Archimedes emulators I dont know about?

Zarch, Syndicate, Elite, Battlechess etc would kick ass on the psp plus the Archimedes was a good alternative to the Amiga/ST. :)