PDA

View Full Version : Custom Firmware questions

TTownEP
November 23rd, 2007, 13:57
Hey guys,

I have been out of the loop for awhile. I am running 3.03 OE-A on my fatty PSP, but I would like to upgrade to get some more of the new features. Like the Playstation store won't connect without an upgrade. What is the best way to get there? Do I need to upgrade in steps to get to the latest version?

I can't believe there is not a dedicated firmware section on the forum, with just the zips and readmes for these firmwares. I always have a hard time trying to find what I need.:confused:

nyrtrublue
November 23rd, 2007, 23:06
i was trying to ugrade to the latest custom firmware as well but i got stuck at 3.52 m33-4...im trying to install cfw 3.71 and i get an error saying i need cfw 3.52 m33-3 but i have 3.52m33-4

kosmos5457
November 24th, 2007, 08:56
I was on 3.02OE-B custom firmware and I've just upgraded directly to 3.52 CFW and then run the update to get to 3.52 M33-4. I've not tried upgrading again since.

Some people say that downgrading to the 1.5 firmware is the best thing to do first but I'm not sure why there's a need to do that. Perhaps it's just safer.

I don't go for the latest firmwares now because of people reporting problems, so I let other people do the testing and I stick to using a more stable firmware that should allow me to play most of the latest games.

I think that you should perhaps upgrade to 3.52 M33-3 instead of 3.52 M33-4 because of the problem that nyrtrublue is saying he's having.

Handojin
November 24th, 2007, 18:08
I have an original PSP that's running 3.40 OE-A and I'd like to upgrade to something more modern too.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Josh

TTownEP
November 24th, 2007, 18:10
Yeah, that seems much safer. What is the most current Official Sony Firmware? 3.72? I just got a PS3 and I am looking to use the Remote Play on it, just to see how it works. It told me to get at least 3.72 to be able to use it. Are there any updates past that?

TTownEP
December 11th, 2007, 05:00
So let me go over this, and bump my own thread a bit here.

To upgrade a slim, I need a Pandora battery. The steps that I need to take are as follows, as I understand it:

1. Make a magic memory stick with my cfw fatty PSP
2. Run the magic memory stick on my fatty to make a Pandora battery.
3. Put the Pandora into the slim.
4. Run a 1.5 downgrader
5. Run a cfw upgrader, like 3.52 m33-4 or something.
6. Play homebrew! :thumbup:

My questions:

1. Is this right?
2. Do I need a certain cfw on my fatty, or will any cfw homebrew-enabled version do?
3. Will my 1800mAh battery work, or do I need a specific one?
4. a. When I put the regular battery back into the slim, and this Pandora back into my fatty, what will happen to both?

b. Or, do I need to leave the Pandora in the slim, or take it out?

c. Will I need a new battery for my fatty?

Besides upgrading my own firmware, I want to cfw my cousin's new slim, so he can play homebrew and emulators. I am leaving to go over there on Sunday, and I need to get all my stuff gathered up on a disc before I leave. Thanks in advance, and Happy Holidays to all.

GobboFett
December 11th, 2007, 07:51
My questions:

1. Is this right?
2. Do I need a certain cfw on my fatty, or will any cfw homebrew-enabled version do?
3. Will my 1800mAh battery work, or do I need a specific one?
4. a. When I put the regular battery back into the slim, and this Pandora back into my fatty, what will happen to both?

b. Or, do I need to leave the Pandora in the slim, or take it out?

c. Will I need a new battery for my fatty?

I went recently went through the process of giving my new PSP-Slim custom firmware and it's no easy task so i'll help where possible. Take a look at this thread (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75006) more detailed info on the process of CFW on a Slim PSP.

1. You are right up to step 4, the Slim cannot accept the 1.50 kernel and therefore no downgrade is possible. The Pandora method in a Slim updates the Slim to CFW 3.60 M33.

2. Any Phat-PSP custom firmware is fine, so long as it can run hombrew.

3. The only battery that can be made into a Pandora Battery now is the battery that comes with the Phat PSP (i'm not sure of the mAh rating) but just use the battery the Phat comes with.

4a. The Pandora battery in the Slim works just like it does in the Phat PSP but the Slim does not have the proper LCD driver support to display a menu, just press the corresponding button to install the Firmware (look at the guide linked above for more info).

4b. Once the Slim has the new CFW installed the Pandora can safely be removed.

4c. You won't necessarily NEED another battery as you can make your Phat battery back into a regular one after being made into a Pandora, but having a second for just Pandora needs is always helpful.

TTownEP
December 11th, 2007, 14:12
Whoa, thanks for the quick reply. I started the Magic Stick and Pandora battery process last night on my fatty, and realized the 1.5 kernel part.

Also, I saved the eeprom.bin file, and that is what I need to un-Pandora my battery right?

-=me=-
December 13th, 2007, 03:21
So what does 3.71 m33 do that 303 oec doesn't? I too have been out for a while...

TTownEP
December 13th, 2007, 04:35
There is expanded PS1 game compatibility, if you have a PS3, you can connect using the remote play feature, and they took out some of the unused icons.

This is important to me because there's a PS3 under my tree. Also, the newer version allows you to use the PS store with your PSP through your PC. You can download the PS1 games and demos and stuff without a PS3.

TTownEP
December 23rd, 2007, 23:51
For anyone who wanted to know, I got the Slim hacked, as smooth as could be. Except when I went to un-Pandora my battery, it wouldn't load the file I thought I backed up. So I broke down and bought the 2200 mAh battery to replace it, and now I have a Pandora in case anyone I know needs to hack a slim. Did you know that the battery comes with new battery covers for the slims, to accomodate the larger size? I didn't, until they fell out of the box...

Anyone know where to get the new emulators for use in a slim? The ones I had for my fatty don't work.