PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Icon Arranger

znamezsame
July 19th, 2005, 22:41
I made a program called IconsUp and attached it to this post. I don't know if this had done before or not, but I needed something to do.

The program allows you to specify the order that your memory stick games are displayed, and automatically brings the valid icons up above all "corrupt" icons.

1.) Put on memory stick and run
2.) Select folders with the mouse and move with up and down keys
3.) Click Arrange

You should be all set. (YES, IT MUST BE RUN FROM THE DRIVE WITH THE GAMES ON IT i.e. THE MEMORY STICK).

How it works: It moves all % folders to your temp directory, and moves them back to the memory stick in reverse of the order you sepcify. (The PSP displays them from newest to oldest.)

Please confirm this works for you.

wraggster
July 19th, 2005, 23:39
thanks for the news :)

deathspal
July 20th, 2005, 01:43
Thanks Worked like a charm

cklee
July 20th, 2005, 02:11
i presume this is NOT for firmware 1.0 :confused:
am i right?
thanks

I made a program called IconsUp and attached it to this post. I don't know if this had done before or not, but I needed something to do.

The program allows you to specify the order that your memory stick games are displayed, and automatically brings the valid icons up above all "corrupt" icons.

1.) Put on memory stick and run
2.) Select folders with the mouse and move with up and down keys
3.) Click Arrange

You should be all set. (YES, IT MUST BE RUN FROM THE DRIVE WITH THE GAMES ON IT i.e. THE MEMORY STICK).

How it works: It moves all % folders to your temp directory, and moves them back to the memory stick in reverse of the order you sepcify. (The PSP displays them from newest to oldest.)

Please confirm this works for you.

znamezsame
July 20th, 2005, 02:19
i presume this is NOT for firmware 1.0 :confused:
am i right?
thanks

I guess not. Never played with a 1.0, but my understanding is that you guys don't have % directories, right?

If that's the case, you are already 1 up on us, because you don't have to deal with all the corrupt icon crap we do, so IconsUp is already half as useful. And if I adapted it for 1.0, you might not like it. Moving the main directories off then back on the card would be very time consuming with all the ROMs, WADs, Full EBOOTS, etc.

mechagodzilla
July 20th, 2005, 07:39
nice work... thank you

iapetus2k2
July 20th, 2005, 10:45
How it works: It moves all % folders to your temp directory, and moves them back to the memory stick in reverse of the order you sepcify.

That seems more than a little wasteful. You should be able to just update the modified date of the directory without changing it (under Linux or Cygwin you can just use 'touch *%' to move all corrupted data files to the bottom, for example). Failing that, try making a cheaper change - rename the folders and rename them back, for example. That would change the ordering, but wouldn't involve moving large chunks of data between your memory stick and hard drive.

znamezsame
July 20th, 2005, 12:38
That seems more than a little wasteful. You should be able to just update the modified date of the directory without changing it (under Linux or Cygwin you can just use 'touch *%' to move all corrupted data files to the bottom, for example). Failing that, try making a cheaper change - rename the folders and rename them back, for example. That would change the ordering, but wouldn't involve moving large chunks of data between your memory stick and hard drive.

I did try renaming on Windows, it failed to reorganize the icons on the PSP. I believe it is based on which FAT entries are made first. Renaming seems to alter the FAT entries, but not move them around. I can't speak for Linux or Cygwin, I'm a Windows sheap. But with 1.5 the EBOOTS in the % directories are not large, and the method I choose takes only a few seconds for about a dozen folders.

Heran_Bago
September 27th, 2005, 01:59
1.0 Does not use the exploit whic hresults in corrupt data icon. 1.0 Users may ignore this post.
1.51+ users can ignore this too, as you can't run homebrew anyway.

arm1tage
October 27th, 2005, 00:45
cool just what i was looking for. now i can keep my games and apps in order of how often i use them

PSP_Newbie
October 27th, 2005, 01:26
im just wondering, but will this work if you run it through ftp?

skyd1v3r
October 29th, 2005, 07:08
great job. thank you for it.

DarksaberJ
November 23rd, 2005, 03:16
Just curious, but I noticed that some homebrew show up as their icons and the corrupt file is somehow already hidden. A good example of this is DGEN ver 1.11.
Otherwise, why not use this?> http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7215

znamezsame
November 23rd, 2005, 04:33
Just curious, but I noticed that some homebrew show up as their icons and the corrupt file is somehow already hidden. A good example of this is DGEN ver 1.11.
Otherwise, why not use this?> http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7215

I don't mess with hiding corrupt icons, because not all icons can be hidden. To hide, directories are renamed, which some homebrew applications cannot handle, as they look for files in specific directories. I did it this way, because I simply do not scroll down past the valid icons. Plus with my most used icons at the top of the list, I rarely scroll at all.

Ultimately, it was just a quicky fix to my personal problems (can those ever be truely fixed?) that I slapped in the forum. Others have certainly written better stuff by now.

znamezsame
November 23rd, 2005, 04:36
im just wondering, but will this work if you run it through ftp?

Sorry, I never got notification of your message.

No. It uses "current directory" as the drive on which to find the PSP directory. It can only be run from the memory card, using a PC. (I think the idea of running an application of any kind via File Transfer Protocol is fundamentally flawed in itself though, but even without understanding the question, I still say no.)

DarksaberJ
November 23rd, 2005, 05:51
I don't mess with hiding corrupt icons, because not all icons can be hidden. To hide, directories are renamed, which some homebrew applications cannot handle, as they look for files in specific directories. I did it this way, because I simply do not scroll down past the valid icons. Plus with my most used icons at the top of the list, I rarely scroll at all.

Ultimately, it was just a quicky fix to my personal problems (can those ever be truely fixed?) that I slapped in the forum. Others have certainly written better stuff by now.

Yup. I see what you mean. The Solitaire homebrew (quite nice, by the way...) needs folders listed as Solitaire and Solita~%. I tried to hide the corrupt one but ended up rendering the game useless until I changed the name back on the folder. So I now see the wisdom of using the icon arranger.
:D

THE ANSWER
December 22nd, 2005, 10:01
thanks that help, I still looking for away to totally remove the currupted data icos from the menue but while I find it this will do :)

Nono-O
January 3rd, 2006, 14:51
Geart work

cbrown
January 28th, 2006, 04:47
kick ass man, not a bad app, i appreciate it man

nmkrapper
March 13th, 2006, 14:03
This looks sweet man.
i'll try it now