PDA

View Full Version : strategy guides

shadowprophet
November 26th, 2007, 05:49
I was looking at my game collection. I tend to do this from time to time. It makes me feel like scrooge mcduck swimming though his money bin:cool:. I've got a collection any or most gamers would be proud to own. But I noticed a trend that seems to be fading away. Strategy guides. What ever happened to strategy guides:confused: There was a time when ever I bought a title. I'd have to have the strategy guide to compliment it. "Of course Id never user them. As I view a strategy guide as cheating. No It just really made my games feel like a cut above the rest or a more complete collection. Just having the strategy guide to accompany it. In the years past, I've bought less and less of those little devil books. And I've noticed most people in general tend to pass them by these days too.

I personally credit that to the internet. Sure people never for the most part use the online walkthroughs either. But just knowing they are there and free is enough to ward away a useless $15.00 purchase. So ive just got to ask. Am I alone in leaving the strategy guides on the store shelves? Or am I right? Is almost everyone passing them up these days?

Let me hear something Guys. SP.

PSPdemon
November 26th, 2007, 06:11
nah, your not the only one :p

i never really became interested in strategy guides due to me not needing them... i find it better to learn a puzzle on your own rather than having a guide tell you how to do it :) ( theres a reason why that puzzle was put in there...and that was to puzzle you...lol )

also, the fact that you can get free strategy guides on the net... ( as you said.... FREE or $15....hmmm...i think ill get free ;) )

thats just my opinion but im sure others do think that way too :P

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

shadowprophet
November 26th, 2007, 06:14
nah, your not the only one :p

i never really became interested in strategy guides due to me not needing them... i find it better to learn a puzzle on your own rather than having a guide tell you how to do it :) ( theres a reason why that puzzle was put in there...and that was to puzzle you...lol )

also, the fact that you can get free strategy guides on the net... ( as you said.... FREE or $15....hmmm...i think ill get free ;) )

thats just my opinion but im sure others do think that way too :P

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon
Brother demon :D How have you been bro :p I came by irc last night. I think you where already AFK though.

How have ya been bro :cool:

PSPdemon
November 26th, 2007, 06:21
Brother demon :D How have you been bro :p I came by irc last night. I think you where already AFK though.

How have ya been bro :cool:

been good..... been good

get on IRC tonight! ill be up!

was meaning to talk to you anway.

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

Napalm-Death
November 26th, 2007, 06:21
The only time that I will actually feel the need to get a strategy guide now is if it has exclusive artwork (as in, I can't find it online), and that's pretty rare now.

shadowprophet
November 26th, 2007, 06:22
been good..... been good

get on IRC tonight! ill be up!

was meaning to talk to you anway.

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon
I will be there at some point, it may be late though. I've been playing mario galaxy a lot. It's really good bro.:cool: But I should still be by in a few hours :p

The only time that I will actually feel the need to get a strategy guide now is if it has exclusive artwork (as in, I can't find it online), and that's pretty rare now.
Yeah I'm still known to pick up a guide for my final fantasay games for that very reason. Most final fantasy strategy guides are known to have art work by yoshitaka amano. So I still pick them up just for the art work :cool:

PSPdemon
November 26th, 2007, 06:25
I will be there at some point, it may be late though. I've been playing mario galaxy a lot. It's really good bro.:cool: But I should still be by in a few hours :p

...lol.....

its 1:24 am....ill probably be sleeping by then....

oh well...ill work more on HR-D mod then :D

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

shadowprophet
November 26th, 2007, 06:28
...lol.....

its 1:24 am....ill probably be sleeping by then....

oh well...ill work more on HR-D mod then :D

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon
If you ever need me bro you know how to reach me. Even if im not on. Leave me a message via msn. I will get it as soon as I turn my 360 on :p

I am almost always on the 360 btw. I stay in invisible a lot now. Some x-box live person kept messaging me relentlessly while I was playing halo3 on legendary ((seriously. 27 messages while I was beating the two scrabs tword the end))... And I decided invisible was the way to go lol

kcajblue
November 26th, 2007, 06:57
ive only gotten strategy guides in the past because my mom used to get them for free.

but i never use them as i want to figure out what to do in the game myself.

and if i really cant figure it out after infinity and forever, i turn to gamefaqs. :D

shadowprophet
November 26th, 2007, 07:08
ive only gotten strategy guides in the past because my mom used to get them for free.

but i never use them as i want to figure out what to do in the game myself.

and if i really cant figure it out after infinity and forever, I turn to gamefaqs. :DIndeed. I rarely ever use a strategy guide. I beat halo3 on legendary. "Without co op help all single player" Im really proud of that. And I never used a walkthrough or the first cheat code "if there are any cheat codes for halo3":confused:

But I did use the walkthrough to find the skulls. I mean damn those are hid pretty well and unless you have the time to check every nook and cranny in the game and try every possible thing you can do you get from point a to point b you wont find them all. So I just used an online walkthrough to find them

Shrygue
November 26th, 2007, 21:28
If I'm really stuck on a game and think I won't be making any progress no matter what, that's where I look online for any hints for it. A lot of the time when that happens it points at stuff that would have been so easy to do which leave me thinking: "What, I can't belive it was easy as that.? DOH! No way, I should have picked up on this earlier..."

kcajblue
November 26th, 2007, 22:29
i hate it when that happens.
its so annoying to find out that what you needed to do was so easy.

Triv1um
November 26th, 2007, 22:41
I dont like stratagy guides.

You have to pay like £10 for something that takes the fun out of a £40-£50 game. Waste.

Shrygue
November 26th, 2007, 23:18
I don't buy them either. I might quickly flip though them to see if there was anything good but only after someone had removed the wrapping that the magazines usually come in.

Napalm-Death
November 27th, 2007, 01:02
If I'm really stuck on a game and think I won't be making any progress no matter what, that's where I look online for any hints for it. A lot of the time when that happens it points at stuff that would have been so easy to do which leave me thinking: "What, I can't belive it was easy as that.? DOH! No way, I should have picked up on this earlier..."

I promised myself that I wouldn't use a FAQ for Ninja Gaiden Sigma (it's the only game outside of fighters that I'm playing atm), and I ended up having to do this; it made me hate myself.

dejkirkby
November 27th, 2007, 16:30
The only time I ever bought a strategy guide was when I was stuck on one of the Tomb Raiders (No. 2 I think). I was at the part where you must cross the piranha infested river. The strategy guide said you have to run and jump then swin quickly before the piranha got you. Codswallop!
You actually had to distract them with a dinosaur that was in the trees, all tied up. I vowed to never buy one again.

acn010
November 27th, 2007, 17:30
internet was my solution cause im cheap, and i hate to read long walkthroughs with pictures...

ICE
November 27th, 2007, 17:53
The net has all but killed the strategy guide business. Why buy what you can view on the net for free?