PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo, Microsoft shamed by Greenpeace survey

Shrygue
November 27th, 2007, 18:33
via Games Industry (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=31002)

Greenpeace has publicly shamed Nintendo and Microsoft for lacking any environmental credentials when it comes to electronic waste.

The latest Greener Electronics Guide sees Nintendo become the first company to score 0/10 for its policies and practices on toxic chemicals and takeback.

"The Greener Electronics Guide is our way of getting the electronics industry to face up to the problem of e-waste," detailed Greenpeace.

"Nintendo completely fails to show any environmental credentials and Microsoft and Philips do little better," said the organisation, which for the first time is including home consoles and TVs in the report, alongside PCs and mobile phones.

"Companies shouldn't be under any illusions that we won't check up on their claims of green greatness," commented Iza Kruszewska, campaigner for Greenpeace International.

Greenpeace ranks companies on two criteria – the clean up of products by eliminating hazardous substances and the takeback and recycling of products once they become obsolete.

With no voluntary takeback of products, no information on banned products, no information on how the company communicates with its supply chain and no policy on use of vinyl plastics, Greenpeace notes that Nintendo scores so badly there is "infinite room for improvement."

Microsoft scored 2.7/10, with points for chemical management and for setting a timeline to phase out PVCs by 2011.

Sony scores much better than its rivals, with 7.3/10, although this covers the whole of the electronics company's products. With no mention of the PlayStation 3, it's noted that Sony produces many products that are free from PVC including the VAIO notebook, Walkman, camcorders and digital cameras.

Other companies featured in the Greener Electronics Guide include Motorola, Sony Ericsson, Dell, Panasonic and Apple.

sappo
November 27th, 2007, 19:35
What a bunch of crap. Surely Sony paid them.

sonofsamus
November 27th, 2007, 22:26
You can only be publicly shamed if the public gives a crap, and I seriously doubt that's the case here.

Sp3ct0r
November 27th, 2007, 23:07
lol nice. way to sock it to those damn hippies. :D

Joe88
November 27th, 2007, 23:33
What a bunch of crap. Surely Sony paid them.

fanboy

brunobelo
November 27th, 2007, 23:41
Maybe all that the greenpeacers wanted was to be raped by man-bear-pig...

Veskgar
November 28th, 2007, 01:53
Well I do think that environmental preservation is very important. We live in an over-populated world with diminishing natural resources.

It seems unfortunate that a lot of greedy corporate executives understand that they will not be alive in 50 years so if being more environment friendly is a little less profitable, they don't bother to care.

I'm sad to learn that Nintendo may be the worst offender here. A lot of their products are geared toward kids. What type of planet will those kids have when they grow into adults and have kids of their own?

We all should do more to protect the environment.

Trekster
November 28th, 2007, 04:37
Veskar go hug a tree you freak, greenpeace is also responsible for wildfires out of control in California as they wont allow thinning of forests to keep fires from getting so far out of control, they also would not let the dikes be rebuilt in New Orleans this would have prevented the flooding. You Greenpeace can bite me!

ab88
November 28th, 2007, 06:24
Veskar go hug a tree you freak, greenpeace is also responsible for wildfires out of control in California as they wont allow thinning of forests to keep fires from getting so far out of control, they also would not let the dikes be rebuilt in New Orleans this would have prevented the flooding. You Greenpeace can bite me!

I really feel you are very ignorant of what you are saying. Veskgar never said much of what you accuse him of. You are just letting your frustration towards those groups fall on him. I'm 100% with him in this. The very least some companies can do is give a shit.

As always it's the poor that pay the price of the rich. 3rd world countries get a lot of e-waste. Not a big deal if you do not consider toxic, hard to get rid of chemicals that get in the environment a problem.

This video has some info on what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXzsqTFwV3Q&NR=1

In the end if it continues like this it will become a world problem to deal with.

geise69
November 28th, 2007, 12:25
Think about how many cell phones are discarded every year. Then think about how many people in the world use a cell phone, get a new one in a couple months, then just throw the old one away. That's a lot of build up. Then add on the fact of how fast computers get outdated and the prices drop so much a lot of people just throw the old parts away. It really is a bigger issue than many would think. It's a shame certain companies don't follow guidelines for getting rid of their e-waste. As for everyone in here crying hippie and all that crap. You'll see the world a lot differently when you grow up and have kids of your own.

NoQuarter
November 28th, 2007, 15:11
Enviromentally sound living is of the utmost importance.Anyone who does not think this is either under 13 physically or mentally!!!!!Good job sony!I enjoy your products.