View Full Version : Future attempts to publish banned Manhunt 2 content

Shrygue
November 27th, 2007, 18:36
via Games Industry (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=30994)

Future Publishing has submitted cover discs for two of its UK magazines to the BBFC for rating, both of which contain footage of the US version of Manhunt 2, the game currently banned in the UK.

Refusing to answer questions from GamesIndustry.biz on how Future would ensure the content is not sold to minors if passed by the BBFC, the publisher only stated that, "Future is the only games magazine publisher to submit all of its cover discs to the BBFC for rating," and that "no Manhunt video footage has been published on Future's cover discs since the game was refused a certificate."

The publisher declined to offer any further statement on the matter.

GamesIndustry.biz understands that discs for PSM3 issue 96 and PlayStation World issue 103 are currently with the BBFC for classification, and that Rockstar Games has not given any permission for the magazine house to include the footage.

The footage is taken from the retail version of Manhunt 2 released recently in North America, although it's not clear at this point exactly what the discs will portray, and whether they will include specific examples of the sort of violence that led to the game's ban.

Yesterday, the BBFC and Rockstar Games went head-to-head in an appeal over the banning of the game in the UK.

Rockstar argued that the game has been banned in order to protect the reputation of the BBFC, but the classification board stood by its decision to refuse the game a release, citing numerous factors including the perspective of the player, the weapons used in the game and a decision to draw a line on acceptable violence.

Mr Corky
November 28th, 2007, 02:44
I've gotten over Manhunt 2. After I finished it, I just didn't play it anymore. Do you see me killing people? No. Why, you ask? Because it doesn't influence violence. Only people with problems hurt people, not video gamers. Also not saying that video gamers don't go on rampages ether, because some do but not because of games.

ab_geee_eee
November 28th, 2007, 17:28
Yes i agree, i play violent video games and im not on the news