PDA

View Full Version : Game of the Year (Orange Box) Tripe on PS3?

Shrygue
November 27th, 2007, 18:51
via Next Gereration (http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8060&Itemid=9)

You have to feel sorry for single-system owners who plumped for a PS3. The news from 1UP that the PS3 version of The Orange Box is, at present, nothing more than an awful port, is the latest in a series of unwelcome announcements concerning delays and problems with PS3 versions of multiplatform titles.

It’s even worse when you consider that The Orange Box is game of the year material. It makes me feel completely justified in buying the Xbox 360 version of any multiplatform console game every time, even though I’m desperate to build up my PS3 collection.

The signs weren’t good when Valve co-founder Gabe Newell labeled the PS3 "a waste of everybody's time” earlier this year. Unlike the PC and Xbox 360 versions, The Orange Box for PS3 was farmed out to an internal team at EA, but surely even the pessimists amongst PS3 owners hoped for better than the scathing comments the game’s received. Ok, here comes the pain PS3 owners, in the form of a few choice excerpts from 1UP’s preview:

“… It's apparent that this version suffers from a number of technical flaws, which at best merely hinder game play and at worst make the experience downright unplayable.”

“Framerate is a consistent issue throughout the Half-Life series of games included in The Orange Box.”

Don’t worry too much though – apparently the PS3 version of Portal seems ok!

star51
November 27th, 2007, 19:07
IGN says its VERY playable. not to mention it has better lighting and textures than the 360. either way, i'm still getting it

DPyro
November 27th, 2007, 19:29
Not that I care for this game, but the people at 1UP obviously don't understand that the near final version is not the final version.

Napalm-Death
November 27th, 2007, 21:54
I think I'll wait for a GameSpot review.

F9zDark
November 27th, 2007, 23:27
Not that I care for this game, but the people at 1UP obviously don't understand that the near final version is not the final version.

Yeah but a near final version being unplayable? Come on. At the time of writing, the game had 3 weeks until launch. Maybe they were exaggerating the issue, but its not like there is 2 months until the game's launch. Usually by this time, the devs are just polishing up a few minor things and sending the game off to be burned, boxed and shipped.

da1writer
November 28th, 2007, 00:00
You do have to take into account of the following points:

1) With EA very busy with publishing multiple games at once, maybe they sent 1up an early build of the game. The developers of Haze did that with an early demo and grabbed feedback to improve framerate, which they did and the final build is super smooth :) (according to Free Radical)!
2) IGN said that OB is running alright and actually may have a better/new build of the game than 1up got.
3) EA might suck at making games/porting but they do at least give us PS3 owners a capped 30fps (sorry EA, Never going to forgive you for Mdden 08). So if the game can't be 60 fps for PS3, EA will at least try to give us a 30fps game, not less.
4) EA does have a few weeks to tweak a few things before shipping anything out as usual and If I remeber they mass produce discs on the same day that they are suppose to be shipped and continue after ward to meet shipment days.
5) IGN is now trying to like PS3 and have thrown out good scores for some of the games so far but 1up hasn't given one PS3 game a high score, thus leaves them at one notion... they are bias against the PS3 just like gamespot is.

One or more of those points I made are probably is true, so think about it that way. OB may turn out alright and we still have a few weeks. When we see a review, then we can judge right :)!

MicroNut
November 28th, 2007, 08:07
Play the game on a PC
The way its meant to be played.

Why would anyone want to play a FPS on a console?

Cant believe IGN printed that carp.
While it is a bad port of a great game
Its just not consistent with other reviews.

Napalm-Death
November 28th, 2007, 22:09
Play the game on a PC
The way its meant to be played.

Why would anyone want to play a FPS on a console?

I prefer using my controller, less chances of hitting the wrong buttons.