PDA

View Full Version : Sega Mega Drive Portable Video Game Player

wraggster
November 28th, 2007, 16:08
http://image1.play-asia.com/170/6a/pa.113098.2.jpg

AT Games have today released the Sega Mega Drive Portable Video Game Player, a new handheld boasting 20 of the finest Sega Megadrive games inc the likes of Ecco and Sonic the hedgehog built into an Handheld, the handheld also has TV Out so its great for the bigscreen too. Will this be handy for hacking/homebrew too, time will tell.

Heres the description etc

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/4945/pa1130983dz4.th.jpg (http://img514.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pa1130983dz4.jpg)

features
Plug & play portable video game system
20 built-in 16-bit SEGA licensed games
Built-in speakers
TV out connection
TV format: NTSC
Requires 3xAAA size batteries. (battery not included)

description
The Mega Drive Portable is a video game player, which is pre-loaded with 20 classic games from SEGA Master System. There is no need to buy game cartridges. The Mega Drive Portable game player has an A/V connector and with the included cable the player can be connected to any TV. The built-in SEGA games provide action adventure while testing your intelligence and skill. Enjoy playing classic SEGA games anytime, anywhere with the new Mega Drive Portable video game player.

Play Asia are selling for Price: US$ 39.90 (~19.47 GBP)

Buy from Here --> http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-2pz-49-en-84-j-70-2f9m.html

MagnumKain
November 28th, 2007, 17:16
I want.

Veskgar
November 28th, 2007, 17:30
Is this backed by SEGA or is it a bootleg type of thing?

How are they able to include those games?

indstr
November 28th, 2007, 17:39
looks like bootleg. you know how hongkong is

devdj
November 28th, 2007, 17:54
well it doesn't look like the ones that ya buy in argos and its cheaper

tanukikun
November 28th, 2007, 21:32
Isn't that just the Colleco Sega handheld they sell at Target?

http://www.retrothing.com/2006/12/review_sega_cla.html

It may be a re-tooled version. Might be worth looking into.

Any list of games included in this device?

JKKDARK
November 28th, 2007, 22:21
so useless :(

Veskgar
November 29th, 2007, 00:06
so useless :(

Yeah, pretty much. Get a PSP instead is what I say.

beelzebub06660
November 29th, 2007, 02:47
Will this be handy for hacking/homebrew too, time will tell.

:rofl:
I just want to know how this could possibly be used for hacking or homebrew? Especially since it doesn't have a slot for any kind of flash memory or anything. :rolleyes:

I guess you could combine it with an electric pencil sharpener and get some kind of usefulness out of that thing.

You could also try and find yourself a sega nomad instead of this, at least you could play any genesis game you own, but you'll be payin out the wahzoo for batteries unless you find a battery pack for it too. :)

osgeld
November 29th, 2007, 03:31
why is it called a mega drive, then loaded with master system games

really tho, you can pick up a used nomad and get play real megadrive games for not that much more

PenguinMaster
November 29th, 2007, 04:12
Just like every other portable system other than PSP, the screen will undoubtedly be way too tiny. I can't play any other portable systems since I got a PSP due to the screen size.

sourced
November 29th, 2007, 09:36
theres not even a port for a usb.

how the hell would you get apps on that thing.

brunobelo
November 29th, 2007, 14:10
TecToy, the SEGA representant in Brasil, will release this very same "gadget" here, and it will cost USD110 (200 Reais here). I think that the idea is an excellent idea, when children plays more simple games, they can learn to play more complicated games.

And I have a source inside TecToy (well, is a friend of mine who knows some guy who work on TecToy) and I know that this will be almost impossible to hack, because the roms are "zipped" inside the FPGA and if you want to play another rom using it, you'll have to reprogram the FPGA. I really hope that this thing is "hackable", a portable Mega Drive for children is a great idea, I'll NEVER let any children play on my PSP. :-D

JKKDARK
November 29th, 2007, 14:17
'll NEVER let any children play on my PSP. :-D

what about DS? :p

ice_storme
November 30th, 2007, 13:39
I wonder what games are included on the on-board memory?

ice_storme
November 30th, 2007, 13:46
what about DS? :p

Yeah, Nintendo pretty much made that thing just for the kiddies. Not too many cool games on it really. The PSP has way better games, graphics, and a big screen. I hate portable gaming systems with "Mickey Mouse" .223 cal of a wannabe LCD screen. (3-inch LCD screens & smaller)

ice_storme
November 30th, 2007, 13:48
Just like every other portable system other than PSP, the screen will undoubtedly be way too tiny. I can't play any other portable systems since I got a PSP due to the screen size.

Dude, I'm totally with you on that one. The beautiful large LCD screen on the PSP spoiled me too.
:thumbup:

Cast128dreams
November 30th, 2007, 15:01
Dude, I'm totally with you on that one. The beautiful large LCD screen on the PSP spoiled me too.
:thumbup:

Yes but sometimes Large lcd screens in portables system cant make sellings.

I prefer two and one touchscreen

warbird
December 7th, 2007, 04:00
Looks like a good xmas gift for kids. Not too expensive, and it has TV-out. Too late to buy for chirstmas now though...

Yeah, Nintendo pretty much made that thing just for the kiddies. Not too many cool games on it really. The PSP has way better games, graphics, and a big screen. I hate portable gaming systems with "Mickey Mouse" .223 cal of a wannabe LCD screen. (3-inch LCD screens & smaller)

I have to disagree here. I have both systems, and they're quite different. Woudldn't really want to compare them. The DS has some unique games I wouldn't want to be without. And it has many learning applications that wouln't work on the PSP (due to not having a touch screen, and therefore no writing recognition.) I'm still not all that impressed with the PSP games, but it really outshines the DS when it comes to homebrew/emus (And adding PSX emu was a great move by sony, adding so many games to the PSP library).

Better graphics, you're right there. Personally, I don't really care that much, as I play more emu games than original games.

Bigger screen, ok. But the DS has more total real estate. And IMO, the big screen on the PSP makes it a bit big for a portable system. The DS is much easier to fit in a pocket on the go. I think thats one of the main reasons you see so many more DS's than PSP's on the trains here in Japan.

Cast128dreams
December 17th, 2007, 22:57
I think thats one of the main reasons you see so many more DS's than PSP's on the trains here in Japan.

And not only in Japan.
In GREECE TOO!!!!..........

Cast128dreams
December 17th, 2007, 23:01
I think thats one of the main reasons you see so many more DS's than PSP's on the trains here in Japan.

And not only in Japan...In GREECE YOU SEE THE SAME!!!!....

Personaly i wouldnt buy a PSP if i had a PS2.I cant find a difference.A portable PS2 nothing else.

ATTETION
IAM REALLY SORRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYY FOR DOUBLE POSTING.
FORGIVE ME

JKKDARK
December 17th, 2007, 23:49
And not only in Japan...In GREECE YOU SEE THE SAME!!!!....

Personaly i wouldnt buy a PSP if i had a PS2.I cant find a difference.A portable PS2 nothing else.

ATTETION
IAM REALLY SORRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYY FOR DOUBLE POSTING.
FORGIVE ME

PSP and PS2 have similar graphics problably, but they are not from the same generation. You will not see big titles on PS2 anymore.
Plus with the PSP, besides playing video games, you can listen music, watch videos, pictures.

Cast128dreams
December 18th, 2007, 09:04
Plus with the PSP, besides playing video games, you can listen music, watch videos, pictures.

The same things you can do with PS2....

bah
December 18th, 2007, 12:53
The PSP has a bigger homebrew scene than the PS2 though doesn't it?
I've never owned a PS2, got an xbox instead.

I haven't played a commercial game since Daxter, the PSP is brilliant for homebrew/emulators.
The GP2X is really good, but the screen is nowhere near as nice to look at as the PSP's (even with the PSP's screen's slow response time).

JKKDARK
December 18th, 2007, 14:47
The same things you can do with PS2....

Can you do it in the street/bus/park/etc with the PS2? :rolleyes:

Cast128dreams
December 20th, 2007, 22:29
No you cant.

So get a PSP if you love so much your PS2.

VampDude
January 25th, 2008, 00:08
Can you do it in the street/bus/park/etc with the PS2? :rolleyes:

Yes, well I can...

...I have a screen attached to my Slim PS2! :D