GPF
November 28th, 2007, 20:00
NAME: Duke3D DS

Description: port of Duke3D for the Nintendo DS

Screenshot:

http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/files/nds/duke3ds.jpg

Downloads

here is the precompiled bin

DUKE3DS016nds.rar (http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/files/nds/DUKE3DS016nds.rar)

here is the DS source

duke3dsrc.rar (http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/files/nds/duke3dsrc.rar)

based off the GP2X port

How to Play
-----------
dpad move Duke
a fire
b jump
x duck
y escape back from menu
lefttrig strafe left
righttrig strafe right
touchscreen change weapon
select use item
start select
touchscreen look around
start+select return to menu

dldi patch .nds and copy it and defs.con, game.con, user.con, duke3d.grp and supplied duke3d.cfg to /duke3d directory of card.

Give Your Feedback Via Comments

tahtah
November 28th, 2007, 21:35
wtf I can't play the game I get an error:

Unable to open /duke3d/DUKE3D.GRP

how can i solve this problem?

240-185
November 28th, 2007, 21:42
does NOT work with my CycloDS evolution.
Always having some trouble with .con files

GPF
November 28th, 2007, 21:44
wtf I can't play the game I get an error:

how can i solve this problem?

Copy your DUKE3D.GRP file from either your full duke3d cd, or from the shareware version.

nintendofreak103
November 28th, 2007, 22:13
Is there any way i can save my settings? Every time i run duke nukem it resets to default settings.

GPF
November 28th, 2007, 23:01
Is there any way i can save my settings? Every time i run duke nukem it resets to default settings.

i'll look into it and see why its not saving, also need to fix save game option also.

Troy(GPF)

archilolo
November 29th, 2007, 08:26
Hi,

Thanks for the port of this famous game ; and sorry in advance for my bad english. :)

So here are my impressions and comments on your work
1. it works great on my R4. No problem during compilation ; no problem during the game. No freeze (I mean : as far as I played it).
2. the sounds sizzle, isn't light. When Duke is speaking, I guess what he says more than I undestand him clearly. But I think it's "normal" that'as the sound isn't that great, since you included the sound only from the last version.
3. Since the very last version, there are no more graphical glitches (as far as I have played) : it looks great, really ! No graphical problem.
4. In the absolute, the frame per second is enough to enjoy the game ; but it looks like it's 10 / 15 FPS "only" on DS. I guess the port is difficult, so I don't want to insist on this point.
5. the really problem is, to my mind, about the controls. When I turn with the D-pad left or right, some times (the most part of the time), when you turn, the speed of the turning view is good, but when you unpressed the D-pad (left or right), the view turns very fast. In these conditions, it's very difficult to aim the ennemy and make the game actually impossible to play (for me). That's, from my opinion, the most important problem in the version you have released : actually, the controls are very vague ; and it's dreadful for a FPS game ! :D
6. Concerning the move control, in the FPS port for DS (like Hewen, Descent, Heretic, Doom, Quake, etc.), there's two schools :
(a.) Dpad only, like Doom : the stylus is pretty useless : D-pad for move the guy, L and R for the strafe ; some times, you can control the view with the stylus, to aim ennemy in the height ; but that's all.
(b.) Stylus friendly, like Quake or Descent : move the look with the stylus, advance and strafe with the D-pad, and fire with L (or R if you are left handled).

From my point of view, (b.) give more fun to a FPS game, because of reproducing the feelings of the FPS game on PC.
But, for this specific game that is Duke Nukem, I think it's could be better to adopt the (a.) solution, since in Duke, you don't have much (from my memories) ennemy in height, like in Doom. Seems that's the way you have chosen. :thumbup:

Maybe the best would be to let the player choose what he prefers.

I hope my comment will help you. :) For me, I hope a lot from your port, since I love "old" FPS, and particularly Duke Nukem. :)

Thanks again ; and, again, sorry for my rough english. :o

nintendofreak103
November 29th, 2007, 20:41
In the third episode (Sharpnel city) when you walk into water the game freezes. Im letting you know so you can figure out whats wrong. Oh and by the way i forgot to tell you how awesome you are for porting this.

spitfire915
November 30th, 2007, 13:05
Awesome port. I really enjoyed playing it again.
Couple things:
1. I believe this has been said before, the turning is touchy. It does not make it unplayable, just makes it more complicated to kill stuff. You could go both ways with the controls (QuakeDS or DSDoom). I have no preference.

2. I used the DUKE3D.GRP file from the PC Atomic Edition, and I get two errors when I start it up. One error is:

"ERROR!(L42) Parameter 'SPACE SHUTTLE' is undefined."

I also get an error

"Errors found in /duke3d/GAME.CON file. You should backup the original copies before attempting to modify them."

This does not seem to affect playability though.

Oh, by the way, I am using an M3 DS Simply on a DS Lite if you need to know.

Once again, nice job on the port.

nintendofreak103
November 30th, 2007, 20:18
The error messeage "ERROR!(L42) Parameter 'SPACE SHUTTLE' is undefined." happens when you are using the atomic edition of dukenukem3d. that was another problem i forgot to point out

fackue
December 2nd, 2007, 05:14
When's the Dreamcast port comming? ;)

guttertalk
December 2nd, 2007, 12:18
I'm using the grp from the 1.4 Atomic Edition. I've noticed that the arc of turns can vary and can make it difficult to aim or go where I want.

For example, I click the right d pad a couple of times, and the turn is ~5 degrees, but the third time, it's a 45 degree turn.

superduffman2
December 3rd, 2007, 22:33
Anyone got some pointers on my Duke compiler errors(I haven't changed any of the code):

sorce V1.6 (New)

make -C arm7
make[1]: Entering directory `/d/temp/NDS/work/arm7'
template.c
arm-eabi-gcc -MMD -MP -MF /d/temp/NDS/work/arm7/build/template.d -g -Wall -O2 -m
cpu=arm7tdmi -mtune=arm7tdmi -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -mthumb-interwork
-I/d/temp/NDS/work/arm7/include -I/d/temp/NDS/work/arm7/build -I/d/devkitPro/lib
nds/include -I/d/temp/NDS/work/arm7/build -DARM7 -c /d/temp/NDS/work/arm7/source
/template.c -o template.o
d:/temp/NDS/work/arm7/source/template.c: In function 'main':
d:/temp/NDS/work/arm7/source/template.c:120: warning: implicit declaration of function 'readUserSettings'
d:/temp/NDS/work/arm7/source/template.c:124: error: 'PM_SOUND_MUTE' undeclared (first use in this function)
d:/temp/NDS/work/arm7/source/template.c:124: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
d:/temp/NDS/work/arm7/source/template.c:124: error: for each function it appears in.)
d:/temp/NDS/work/arm7/source/template.c:124: error: 'PM_SOUND_AMP' undeclared (first use in this function)
d:/temp/NDS/work/arm7/source/template.c:130: warning: implicit declaration of function 'initClockIRQ'
make[2]: *** [template.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/d/temp/NDS/work/arm7'
make: *** [arm7/Duke3DS.elf] Error 2

Sorce V1.4 / sorce v1.3 (20-3-07)

arm-eabi-gcc -MMD -MP -MF /d/temp/NDS/work/arm9/build/unix_compat.d -g -Wall -O2
-march=armv5te -mtune=arm946e-s -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -mthumb-interw
ork -I/d/temp/NDS/work/arm9/source -I/d/temp/NDS/work/arm9/source/buildengine -I
/d/devkitPro/libnds/include -I/d/temp/NDS/work/arm9/build -DARM9 -D__NDS__ -DPLA
TFORM_UNIX=1 -DUDP_NETWORKING=1 -DNET_MENU=1 -c /d/temp/NDS/work/arm9/source/bu
ildengine/unix_compat.c -o unix_compat.o
linking Duke3DS.arm9.elf
dirent.o: In function `closedir':
d:/temp/NDS/work/arm9/source/dirent.c:68: undefined reference to `dirclose'
dirent.o: In function `readdir':
d:/temp/NDS/work/arm9/source/dirent.c:42: undefined reference to `dirnext'
dirent.o: In function `opendir':
d:/temp/NDS/work/arm9/source/dirent.c:16: undefined reference to `diropen'
global.o: In function `dukescreencapture':
d:/temp/NDS/work/arm9/source/global.c:927: undefined reference to `mkdir'
global.o: In function `setup_homedir':
d:/temp/NDS/work/arm9/source/global.c:879: undefined reference to `mkdir'
d:/devkitPro/libnds/lib\libfat.a(libfat.o): In function `fatInit':
e:/projects/devkitPro/libfat/nds/../source/libfat.c:111: undefined reference to
`chdir'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [/d/temp/NDS/work/arm9/Duke3DS.arm9.elf] Error 1
make[1]: *** [build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/d/temp/NDS/work/arm9'
make: *** [arm9/Duke3DS.elf] Error 2

Thanks!..

Sektor
December 4th, 2007, 06:36
superduffman2, are you using an old version of libnds and devkitARM? It compiled fine here using latest libnds and devkitARM r21.

knuxthefox
December 7th, 2007, 03:07
I think it would be a lot better if the turning were slowed down. Is that a possibility? I hate being chased by some creep and keep shooting around him because the D-pad turns so fast. Also, could it be possible to make it so God Mode and All Items codes are selectable in the options or possibly from a menu when you hit select?

The framerate is smooth, the game runs fast, the graphics are great, but the controls need work.

superduffman2
December 9th, 2007, 13:03
Hi, again.
Im now trying to get it running on no$gba but am getting "Unable to initialize media device!":(

have looked at:
http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,3934.msg (http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,3934.msg27290.html#msg27290)
+
http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=12654%3C/blockquote%3E%3C/div%3E

1) can't find Dldi for no$gba
2) download newest "fcsr.dldi" + dlditool32 & patched Duke3DS.nds
3) Tried loading "Duke3DS_fs.ds.gba" => make file, looks good for this file to work
4) ??

But Is still not working!?!

GPF
December 10th, 2007, 00:10
Hi, again.
Im now trying to get it running on no$gba but am getting "Unable to initialize media device!":(

have looked at:
http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,3934.msg (http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,3934.msg27290.html#msg27290)
+

1) can't find Dldi for no$gba
2) download newest "fcsr.dldi" + dlditool32 & patched Duke3DS.nds
3) Tried loading "Duke3DS_fs.ds.gba" => make file, looks good for this file to work
4) ??

But Is still not working!?!

or
http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?p=114090&highlight=fcsr+dldi#114090

might help

Troy(GPF)

superduffman2
December 10th, 2007, 10:36

or
http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?p=114090&highlight=fcsr+dldi#114090

might help

Troy(GPF)

Why wont "Duke3DS_fs.ds.gba" work on the no$gba?

Sorry If I'm just missing something really simple.. But I have been looking! :confused:

P.S.
http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/fcsrDLDI.zip
http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/fcsrimage.zip
redirected to http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/ with no files

GPF
December 10th, 2007, 14:49
Why wont "Duke3DS_fs.ds.gba" work on the no$gba?

Sorry If I'm just missing something really simple.. But I have been looking! :confused:

P.S.
http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/fcsrDLDI.zip
http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/fcsrimage.zip
redirected to http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/ with no files

Duke3DS_fs.ds.gba works fine for me on no$gba thats what I use for most of my dev testing for this.

both fcsr zip files can be downloaded from my site http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/ look on the left nav bar under Utilities.

Troy(GPF)

Zaerdna
December 14th, 2007, 14:36
were do i get the grp file?

fackue
December 14th, 2007, 17:11
You can find the shareware version on 3D Realms' site.

Fakie!
December 17th, 2007, 00:38
Ok, I registered just to tell you that you're doing an awesome work and that I hope you continue with it. DN3D is one of my favourite games of all time and this is already my favourite DS homebrew out there. Seriously, thanks for your work and keep it up!

:thumbup:

MechaBouncer
December 20th, 2007, 22:19
I, too, registered here mainly for Duke3DS. However, I seem to be having a problem extracting the Duke3DS.nds file from that .RAR archive. I'm using the latest IZArc 3.81 and was wondering if anyone else is having trouble with it? Thanks.

Warlord698
December 24th, 2007, 07:07
same problem here, and Sypherce (DS2Key programmer) is also having trouble extracting the files, even with the source.

we're getting a CRC error saying that the file is corrupted

GPF
January 3rd, 2008, 04:25
same problem here, and Sypherce (DS2Key programmer) is also having trouble extracting the files, even with the source.

we're getting a CRC error saying that the file is corrupted

I have reuploaded the binary to my site.

Troy(GPF)

Warlord698
January 3rd, 2008, 05:51
thx much, works now

MagNetCZ
January 5th, 2008, 13:15
Hm I guess the only way to radically improve the framerate would be to use the DS's hardware 3D capabilities eh? Maybe porting over the OpenGL version or something.

Also adding my cfg file with tweaked controls. It plays a bit more like the other FPSs on the DS so the controls are as follows:

Dpad Up: Move forwards
Dpad Down: Move backwards
Dpad Left: Strafe left
Dpad Right: Strafe right
L Shoulder: Shoot
R Shoulder: Jump
B: Crouch
X, A: Cycle weapons
Tap screen: Use
To look around use the touchscreen. It's still moving forward and backward if you move the stylus up and down tho.

Of course some item buttons around the screen wouldn't hurt one bit.

And about the mouselook, wasn't it dropped out from the GP2X version or something? And if full mouselook can't be done at least try to fix the current mousemove so it doesn't move or rotate on tap. Looking forward to the next version.

Facemeat
January 5th, 2008, 17:19
Anyone know if there's a way to save?
Every time I try to, it freezes up on me.

narcore
January 6th, 2008, 16:58
Hi every one
I tryed Duke nukem 3D with
a supercard lite
and a passcard 3
it works,I mean i can play but the sounds are bad, saturated besides there are no musics. And it's a bit slowed ( maybe the DS). Is that normal??
thanks for answerring

MagNetCZ
January 6th, 2008, 20:46
Hi every one
I tryed Duke nukem 3D with
a supercard lite
and a passcard 3
it works,I mean i can play but the sounds are bad, saturated besides there are no musics. And it's a bit slowed ( maybe the DS). Is that normal??
thanks for answerring

Yes that is normal at this moment. However it's no secret so some reading thru the thread wouldn't hurt.

crowler04921
January 19th, 2008, 04:27
I've read many of the threads from March 07 to present about this project and I really like the progress you are making.

I think using the touch screen for looking/aiming would help in the game play. (using Quake DS as a model) also a touch keypad (like quake ds) would be great.

Sound definitely needs improvement, but it's a great start. I honestly would take Sound improvement over the controls right now because it is still very playable (control wise)

Would also like to be able to access the menu.

Again GREAT WORK and please keep it up! It's much appreciated- give us updates on the progress. =)

K1ckass
January 21st, 2008, 20:13
First of all, great work GPF on porting the legend of games Duke Nukem to the NDS! As a kid I played this game non-stop and showed it off to all my friends, it was so cool. Finally, there's time to relive those moments on the NDS, thx!

Second, is it just me, or does the save game function not work?
I see no replies of other ppl reporting this bug, so I'm not quite sure.
When I use the save game function, the nds seems to freeze and do nothing at all.
Does anyone else experience this bug?

Thx again GPF!

Respect & greets,
k1ckass

narcore
January 22nd, 2008, 17:48
is it just me, or does the save game function not work?
k1ckass
I do have the same problem while saving. But still great job GPF :thumbup:

superduffman2
January 22nd, 2008, 19:22
Hi all, Just to let you know I'm making progress with the network code. I'm still a bit off, but getting there.

P.s. dont ask about progress.. I'll post when I have more :p

GPF
January 24th, 2008, 16:47
Hm I guess the only way to radically improve the framerate would be to use the DS's hardware 3D capabilities eh? Maybe porting over the OpenGL version or something.

Also adding my cfg file with tweaked controls. It plays a bit more like the other FPSs on the DS so the controls are as follows:

Dpad Up: Move forwards
Dpad Down: Move backwards
Dpad Left: Strafe left
Dpad Right: Strafe right
L Shoulder: Shoot
R Shoulder: Jump
B: Crouch
X, A: Cycle weapons
Tap screen: Use
To look around use the touchscreen. It's still moving forward and backward if you move the stylus up and down tho.

Of course some item buttons around the screen wouldn't hurt one bit.

And about the mouselook, wasn't it dropped out from the GP2X version or something? And if full mouselook can't be done at least try to fix the current mousemove so it doesn't move or rotate on tap. Looking forward to the next version.

Was playing this today and went into the Control Menu , More Movement , Mouse Aim and clicked on the touchscreen which set it to C(mapped to clicking touchscreen) and it works :)

Troy(GPF)

Brifry
January 24th, 2008, 17:30
Sweet, so does this mean you're planning on working on it? Someone told me you had other projects going on, so you wouldn't be working on this for a while.

P.S. Great port, hope you keep working on it, Thanks.

gumgod
February 7th, 2008, 12:41
I have to say that this was the reason I made an account here! Now I just need to practice aiming! LOL Thanks a lot for the port and looking forward to updates! :thumbup:

r4nintendor4
March 19th, 2008, 04:52
Firt create a folder named Duke3d in the root of your microsd card. Then place only this files you download from this page DEFS.CON---duke3d.cfg---GAME.CON---USER.CON---Duke3d.nds and if u dont have an r4 of m3 flashcard and u need the patch place it in the root of ur microsd. Then....CRITICAL STEP you need to google a file named -----duke3d.grp---- put google "duke3d.grp file" chose THE FIRTS google LINK, enter the page, go down then click in a link named "1.3dSHAREWER GRP " download it you will download an ---1.3dsharewerdatafileonly.exe---, rename it as 1.3dsharewerdatafileonly.zip. Extract the files and rename the file extracted as duke3d.grp. Finish enjoyy

ddrheero
March 23rd, 2008, 15:04
I'm looking forward to updates...

It's quite odd how the DS's 3D acceleration has troble running old "3D" games like duke nukem...
The DS runs Quake perfectly, so why does it have trouble with DN? I guess it just needs more coding...

Sektor
March 23rd, 2008, 15:14
This version of Duke3D doesn't use 3D hardware and neither did the original. I think there is an OpenGL version that could be ported but it wouldn't be easy.

cta
March 29th, 2008, 22:49
can some make the controls for left handers

DSmanic!
April 11th, 2008, 05:37
I have a CycloDS. I can't get duke3ds to work!

I get message:unable to open /duke3d/DUKE3D.GRP but I have the grp file in the duke3d folder!

I followed the extraction guide and renamed the duke3d exe. file from the full version game to grp.

I have defs cons, game con, duke3d.cfg, user.con and duke3d.grp in duke3d folder. Am i missing any files.

Could someone please help me I really want to play this. Thank you.

brummerthedrummer
April 13th, 2008, 01:24
Hey DSmanic! I downloaded the shareware version of the DUKE3D.GRP file from the 3D-Realms site. I had to install this shareware version of Duke3D to get the .GRP File, and once I got the .GRP I took the game off my comp. Hope that helps. Also, like everyone else I can't save, which I would take over sound and controls any day. I'd rather like to beat it on the ds which is impossible without saving or being GOD at that game. Also, After playing the game for a little while, I get this error that says something about me not having anymore cache or whatever and the game just freezes. Is this because I am only using a R4 (Slot-1 Device)? Would this be fixed if I get A Slot-2 Device and use it with the Slot-1? Like a EZ 3-In-1? Anyway, I really love what you've done so far. Keep up the good work!

DSmanic!
April 13th, 2008, 05:17
Nevermind I just got it to work, I forgot to add the duke3d pak, doh!

Oh yeah, did someone read my 1st post in the quakeds final release thread? I thought it was rather helpful but it looks like everyone missed it.

skooj
April 25th, 2008, 08:29
Hello,
I recently got an m3ds real and I was really hoping to play this game, however, whenever I try to launch it, it seems to lock my ds up at the "DLDI Compatible" screen. I have all of the files in place as they should be, but it won't go any further than that.

Is this a known bug and will there be a fix any time soon?

Sektor
April 25th, 2008, 10:13
This is down to a buggy DLDI driver which doesn't support unaligned data reads properly. Ask M3 to fix it.

dawn.wan
May 16th, 2008, 04:54
This version of Duke3D doesn't use 3D hardware and neither did the original. I think there is an OpenGL version that could be ported but it wouldn't be easy.

its all about SDL

GTAJunkie
October 20th, 2008, 00:07
I'm getting the same problem as another guy on here, the game instantly freezes when I try to go underwater.

Uneurone
March 8th, 2009, 11:42
Hello there,

I started to use this port from this morning and i have a few questions to ask:
1) is it normal that i don't have the duke nukem theme while in main menu ? (i turned on the music in the menus)
2) is it normal that every single noise is amazingly ugly?
3) could it be possible to make Duke turn slower?

Otherwise, it's a great port of Duke Nuke, i enjoyed to play it when i was 5 years old, and now i can play it every where! thanks a lot!

Fakie!
August 20th, 2009, 01:38
I really hope this gets an update sometime in the future :(.

SylentEcho
October 12th, 2009, 16:53
Hi. I installed this on my r4. It works, but doesn't run very smoothly, it kind of hangs and there's a big sound problem.

any idea how to solve this?

Sektor
October 13th, 2009, 00:12
It runs slow on all DS flash cards. The only way to solve it would be to rewrite the game so that it uses the 3D hardware of the DS. That would be a huge effort.

Starkiller
May 23rd, 2010, 17:51
Sorry for bumping this pretty old thread but I have a question : wouldn't programming this game so that it uses RAM expansion make it run better ? The original game required 8MB of RAM (although 3D Realms recommended 16MB) so I assume we just can't expect it to run correctly on a stock DS with only 4MB of RAM.
I understand that it would probably require a lot of programming but I believe it would enable us to solve some of the problems that DS players get to face when they are playing the current version of the port of Duke 3D.

Thanks in advance for answering.

EDIT : this could apply for the ports of other great FPS games from the 90's (Doom, which seems to have trouble with saving/loading in certain levels, Hexen which can crash while saving a game, or Rise of the Triad which crashes at a certain point of the 2nd level).

Creuza321
July 20th, 2010, 04:59
can someone help me??
i'm getting a error when i start the game.

Can't Open directory: /duke3d

Starkiller
July 20th, 2010, 15:11
You need to create a /duke3d directory where you must put the DUKE3D.GRP file (if you own the original PC game, it is located in the folder where you have DUKE3D installed). I you don't have this file, that means you don't own the original PC game. In that case, you can download the shareware DUKE3D.GRP file from 3D Realms's website.

Starkiller
July 22nd, 2010, 22:56
There is something that I really don't get. I am currently trying to work on programming the game so that :
- the framerate gets enhanced.
- the sounds/music are played correctly.
- saving/loading of games become possible.
- the game crashes as little often as possible (especially when you get underwater).
- The Atomic editions levels become playable (which actually isn't the case).

The problem that I'm facing is that, I have downloaded GPF's source code for DUKE 3DS and yet, when I try to compile it as it was when I downloaded the code, I get countless error messages saying that a function or a variable is undeclared in the file called arm7/source/template.c, which is absolutely unbelievable. Anyone got an idea about why this is happening ?

Sektor
July 23rd, 2010, 01:13
That's most likely because it was originally compiled with an older version of the DevKitPro devkit. Often you just need to replace the old macro names with the new names.

You could try adding this if it's not already there:

#include <nds/registers_alt.h>

That lets you use many of the old names but it's best to rename them before a public release.

Starkiller
July 27th, 2010, 14:48
Thanks for your reply, Sektor. Thanks to your help, I have been able to replace a bunch of old macro/function names with their equivalent in the latest versions of devkitPro and libnds.

I've also managed to compile the game for the first time. I tried to program the game so that it uses RAM expansion from slot-2 cartridges (The game needed at least 8MB of RAM although 3D Realms strongly recommended 16MB so I'm sure the game can't work correctly without EXRAM). I added a menu to choose your RAM card and speed (which is a lot inspired by Simon J. Hall's Quake and Quake 2 beginning menues). The game seems to be able to detect RAM from slot-2 cartridges and to tell the player what card he is using for RAM expansion if you select "Auto-detect" (at least, it worked in my case, as it was able to tell me that I was using an EZ-Flash RAM card with 16 MB of RAM).

Now I get to face another problem : after detecting the EXRAM, the console prints "compiling /duke3d/GAME.CON" and then seems to stop loading (this is most likely due to a crash). I'm gonna have to have a deep look at the original code used to start the game in order to fix the problem, but for now I cannot guarantee that I will be able to upload a new version of the game any soon.

Starkiller
August 27th, 2010, 13:24
OK, I've managed to correct the error that made the game crash during its startup. First, it was due to the fact that the program was trying to load the file called "DEFS.CON" in the root directory of the flash card, whereas it was in a "duke3d" directory created by the user. This took a bit of time to figure out but after understanding this, correcting the mistake was "a piece of cake", Duke would say.
There was another problem due to a misinterpretation of the keyword "return" : apparently, when the devkitPro compiler (Msys) encounters the keyword "return" in a void function, it does not interprete it as a keyword used only to interrupt the function, but as a keyword used to interrupt the whole main function, causing the game to restart from the very beginning. Again, it was easy to correct the mistake.

But now I have to deal with sound, which is going to be very, very long. The problem I get to face is that, whenever the game tries to play a sound, it just crashes because it is unable to play a sound, apparently. I guess the VOC file format just isn't appropriate for the DS so I decided to convert the sounds to WAV. I need to reprogram the sound engine because the sound was kinda choppy in the latest version of Duke Nukem 3DS by GPF, and it would be better to have a sound engine that fits correctly with the DS hardware anyway. This will take a lot of time.

sonic007m
February 5th, 2011, 20:38
I got the "unable to initialize media device" error... i already found that on this forum, but cannot seem to get any wiser... any help plz? i just love this game and want to have it on ds... i used desmume, no$gba and r4i gold v1.14 to test it. all the same problem. also: clicking a link on this site just leads me to the newspage of dcemu
AND THATS NOT FUNNY :mad:

rehevkorb
February 20th, 2011, 22:32
Can't seem to get the download to work :/

Mario FAN
March 2nd, 2011, 07:31
how do oyu download it????? i clicked on the two links but it takes me back to this page http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/forums/254-GPF-s-Release-and-Discussion-Forum/files/nds/DUKE3DS016nds.rar ?????
how do i get this towork please helpm thanks :D

hadoken_zero
March 6th, 2011, 03:43
Is this still being worked on? I'm still waiting for the day I can properly play Duke3D on my DS!

MK3424
April 19th, 2011, 23:54
nice game to be ported on the ds

renatodias
October 8th, 2011, 05:22
404 file not found please upload on mediafire, I'm trying to dl this for half an hour and no good download link

Ryuuzaki053
February 20th, 2012, 00:27
*Bump

Sorry for the bump, but the Download link is broken. :(