PDA

View Full Version : Videogames: unhealthy and dangerous

Shrygue
November 29th, 2007, 19:01
via Games Industry (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=31058)

A new study from the University of Michigan has concluded that violence depicted on television, in movies and in videogames poses "a serious threat to public health" that is second only to smoking.

"Exposure to violent electronic media has a larger effect than all but one other well known threat to public health. The only effect slightly larger than the effect of media violence on aggression is that of cigarette smoking on lung cancer," said the report.

The research, carried out by L Rowell Huesmann and Brad Bushman, and detailed by Reuters, links a child's exposure to violence with an increased likelihood of actual violence in adulthood, for both males and females.

"Children are also spending an increasingly large amount of time playing video games, most of which contain violence… The research clearly shows that exposure to virtual violence increases the risk that both children and adults will behave aggressively."

The report did admit that not every child exposed to violence will show evidence of increased aggression, but concluded that more controls were needed from parents and society on what children are exposed to.

risio
November 29th, 2007, 19:23
Oh but getting drunk, getting behind the wheel, and killing an entire family in another car is 3rd to Mortal Kombat as a public saftey hazard? BS

Mr Corky
November 29th, 2007, 19:41
Oh but getting drunk, getting behind the wheel, and killing an entire family in another car is 3rd to Mortal Kombat as a public saftey hazard? BS

OMFG! So true!

devdj
November 29th, 2007, 21:54
This is pure bullshit, its our mentality, personality and lifestyle that make us unhealthy and dangerous not violence depicted on television, in movies and in video games, we can be dangerous if we want not because of tv, movies and games etc
whether these jackasses like it not its our own nature to be violent so screw these bullshiters from Michigan

ExcruciationX
November 29th, 2007, 22:44
You'd see a lot of blood on the ground if this was true.

*shakes head*

Another classic example of the damn media trying control the world again.

HymnsomniaK
November 29th, 2007, 22:47
Basically they spent God knows how much money and time on a study that says that people who play games turn into... unhealthy assassins?? It's an insult to brain-carrying human beings that populate this planet.
I play games since I was 7 years old , let me reassure you that this 'study' is not only nonsense but is also utter and complete BS. Responsibility is an adult's game that is constantly overlooked by these 'studies'. GET REAL is what I say!

Psyberjock
November 29th, 2007, 23:01
Does anything good EVER come out of Michigan?

And now this BS coming from the state with the-model-city-on-a-hill--don't-hide-your-candle-under-a-bushel-DETROIT????

I'll put about as much faith into their results as I would horse explaining the positive points to having hooves. Yeah right dude, fingers are WAY better. XD

armyStrong
November 29th, 2007, 23:22
What a load...yes, a lot of parents need to get a friggin clue when it comes to their kids, but all of these studies miss the point...
Any idiot could tell you that prolonged exposure to violence will numb you to it, and while children are more susceptible to outside influences than adults, the only guaranteed practice that will keep a child from acting on lessons learned from media violence is good parenting.

I hate useless studies...I mean really...are we any better off now that this study has been released? what a bunch of idiots...

ExcruciationX
November 29th, 2007, 23:31
I must admit, I'm actually quite sensitive to violence. Violent games don't bother me, but violent movies do. Maybe they should spend their time looking at other forms as well?

kjetil1991
November 30th, 2007, 05:52
this is not true i have played violent games many times and i dont fight or kill =)

John Vattic
November 30th, 2007, 13:00
I understand why they want to ban violent video games.

1. video games, unlike movies require participation in the violence (to a degree). therefore the shocking "horror" is not, as in a movie, a form of institutional terrorism. Movies can be used by the government to instill fear and terror into a populous because the viewer just sits there blank minded and is subject to brainwashing.

2. most video games involve a pro-human, or anti-racist message. This is undermining all of the work governments implement. Governments don't want intelligent, millitant, and "good" decision makers. They want "subjects", "stupid people", and "slaves".

3. what a million idiots believe, might kill you. While browsing the news this morning, found that some random football player is murdered. his locker adorned with pagan love symbols and tenders of affection. yet thousands of troops that die in pagan wars receive no plexiglass-locker-shield. This goes with the "madden mentality" in which a million grown men who play with BALLS (homoerotic in itself) are more revered than those who sacrafice for something more noble. And I'm sorry, but yes, ballplayers are the ultimate expression of ignorance, obliviousness, and self gratification.

I think all nations need to stop the shielding and start the understanding. Then again, stupid people shouldn't be held accountable for their actions right? And yet again, these same stupid masses are contouring the world according to their own ignorance and we all have to feel the shame.

This is not research it's a political point of view and these researchers need to be re-educated, unfortunately.

Baboon
December 1st, 2007, 09:55
Videogames: unhealthy and dangerous?

Well computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. :rofl:

cataphrax
December 1st, 2007, 20:34
I wrote an English paper on the untrustworthyness of video game violence studies and every study whos actualy data I have seen there was only negligible differences in violent tendencies between those who had played video games and those who had not. In fact a couple studies there was hardly an difference at all but since one guy was .1 percent more violent they send their ridiculous study to every site warning parents about the horrific dangers of video games. While i can agree that they desensitize us to violence, no way in a million years can I agree that they make us violent. Besides, if your drafted into WWIII do you want all your soldiers vomiting at the sight of blood and disoriented by the sounds of warfare. People are sensitive enough as it is.

NeoXCS
December 2nd, 2007, 02:49
Does anything good EVER come out of Michigan?

And now this BS coming from the state with the-model-city-on-a-hill--don't-hide-your-candle-under-a-bushel-DETROIT????

I'll put about as much faith into their results as I would horse explaining the positive points to having hooves. Yeah right dude, fingers are WAY better. XD

I take offense, I'm from Michigan. >_> Just because the place sucks doesn't mean everything "from" Michigan does. :p Just lots of things from Michigan. :D

As for this study, it's just another lame study that doesn't prove anything. I'm sick of these horrible things. They keep crying because nobody listens to them about how horrible games are. Who sees these studies anyhow? Just game sites, like parents look at those. :p