PDA

View Full Version : Porting old PC games

wraggster
November 30th, 2007, 00:02
Uberjack posted this news on his blog: (http://0xff.akop.org/2007/11/28/porting-old-pc-games/)

When I was just starting to program for the PSP, I envisioned first doing a port of fMSX, then a port of an emulator specifically for emulating arcade versions of Mortal Kombat games 1-3. Since I don’t think any emulators other than MAME support the games (and MAME’s source is a tangled mess), I doubt that phase will ever come to fruition.

Most recently I’ve also considered porting older games, however, and if someone else doesn’t do them first (I hope they do), I just might do a port myself. Two obvious choices right now are OpenTyrian, a rewrite of Tyrian, and Wargus, the Warcraft II-compatible RTS engine based on Stratagus. I prefer not to port these projects myself, as they’re both based on SDL, and I happen to have an inherent dislike for hardware abstraction frameworks.

If you’re looking for an interesting port project, both of these games should be a welcome distraction from the many flavors of DooM already ported to the PSP.

Tesseract
November 30th, 2007, 01:24
Here's a pair of long shots, but done well, they'd be golden:

Master of Orion II
Thank god there was a DOS version of this game. The main reason I suggest this as opposed to the original MOO is for multiplayer support. Ad-Hoc and Infrastructure support would be fantastic.

Also, the game appears to be something that may be somewhat portable due to the fact that the DOS and Windows versions use the same resource files. The only difference is the main executable.

For the same reason (Multiplayer support) as MOO2, I'd love to see a port of CivNet as well. The Play-by-Email feature that's built into the multiplayer mode would be PERFECT for the PSP in that you can play your turn, save, then shut off until you're at a Wi-Fi spot again.

While CivNet didn't have a DOS version, it certainly isn't too complicated of a program, being just a straight port of the original Civilization.

Dorian
November 30th, 2007, 04:00
For the love of God,if you can get Master of Orion 2 or Loom working on the PSP I would be eternally grateful

SpacemanSpiff
November 30th, 2007, 05:06
Uhh, you can already play Loom in ScummVM... or PSPUAE... or DosBox... or CaSTaway... or PCEP...

andwhyisit
November 30th, 2007, 05:34
A PSP port of RPG_RT.exe (exe file for RPG Maker 2000 games) into an eboot.pbp file would be the greatest thing ever. :D
RPG_RT.exe is the same for every RM2K game but I have no idea how easy or hard it would be to make it. Is it possible?

Murdock
November 30th, 2007, 14:14
Well .. how about a nice little port of Shadow Warrior, the good old DOS game :D

There is already a Duke 3d port, which is not bad, but has some errors. And for some reason, the coder din't port SW right away after Duke.

They both use the same engine (I think Shadow Warrior is a little more advanced than Duke), so a port should be possible. It also features multi player support, which could also be implemented into a possible port. That'd be really great! :thumbup:

Oh, an even better choice for a port would be REDNECK RAMPAGE .. but I think this game has too high system requirements (such as RAm usage) to be ported .. anyway, it'd be awesome.

Oh, and PLEASE no Slim only crap ... n1 want such bs ...

deniska
November 30th, 2007, 16:01
I'll do a port of Tyrian.. remember it playing many years ago - nice game..
anyway, I just checked the source - porting should be a no brainer... I'll post binaries once I tweak controls a bit..
[EDIT] after 20 minutes I got it to the point where I could watch the demo playing.. looks good so far :-)

Zourn
November 30th, 2007, 17:22
There really needs to be a port for Fallout.

deniska
December 1st, 2007, 00:53
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOZluArjk5E
TYRIAN playing on PSP :-)

jurkevicz
December 1st, 2007, 01:09
I would love to see a port of Alone in the Dark 1 and 2. although Ultimate Mortal Kombat would be cool.

xardas
December 1st, 2007, 03:35
Any space sim nearest to freelancer as possible would make me very very happy :D

IWantMyMTV
December 1st, 2007, 03:38
The following list has a definite me bias...I don't like playing DOS games on the PSP that I remember playing with my MS Sidewinder or the keyboard...On the PSP, the controls just become a bit awkward for me...(ie. Doom, Descent, Duke Nukem 3D, X-Wing, Mechwarrior 2, etc)...I also find RTS games are difficult without keyboard shortcuts and my beloved mouse...

Also, I tried to avoid titles that were released on multiple platforms (some platforms which are already emulated quite well on the PSP) and the LucasArts adventures since the SCUMM emulator does quite well...

My Top 5 suggestions...

1) Fallout
2) Master of Magic
3) Master of Orion (or the 2nd as has already been mentioned)
4) X-Com
5) Warlords 2 Deluxe

By category:

Arcade
Raptor (a lot like Tyrian)
Terminal Velocity (like Descent but simpler controls and gameplay)
Abuse (platform shooter [best there ever was for DOS]...controls could be a bit difficult on the PSP)
Crusader: No Remorse or No Regret (isometric shooter...was fun in the 90's...very dated now)
Dark Legions (from SSI...good quality game...sorta like Archon)

Adventure
Space Quest 6: The Spinal Frontier (Sierra was the only company that could really compete with LucasArts)
King's Quest 7: The Princeless Bride
Star Trek: Judgement Rites
Star Trek 25th Anniversary
Bioforge (Origin...short but tightly scripted sci-fi adventure)
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream (if you can find it)
Relentess: Twinsen's Adventure or Twinsen's Odyssey (European Mario-style adventure with depth for DOS)
Star Control 2 and 3 (not sure if they're adventure but like Master of Orion with a plot)

Strategy (mostly turn-based and some city management type games)
Battle Isle 2 (sci-fi turn based)
Settlers 2 (medieval, cutesy city management)
Caesar 2 (Roman city management)
Lords of the Realm 2 (medieval, not cutesy city management)
Heroes of Might and Magic (yes...yes...yes...was a tough call between this and Warlords 2...HoMM 2 would be even better but I think it's Win95 only)
Dungeon Keeper (real time but not as time critical as Command & Conquer or Warcraft...no worries on the rush tactics)
Sid Meier's Civilization (started it all...just doesn't seem as good after playing Civ 2 and Civ 3...haven't played Civ 4 yet)
Sid Meier's Colonization
Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon Deluxe
Jagged Alliance (turn based isometric squad based combat...X-Com in South America with drug cartels and no aliens)

Wargames
Empire Deluxe (cheesy yet addicting)
Panzer General (almost made the Top 5...beer and pretzel strategic wargaming)
Steel Panthers (great, in-depth WW2 strategy game)
Harpoon 2 (another that almost made the Top 5...modern naval warfare at its finest)

RPG
(Note: Ultima VII was released for the PSP as part of EA Replay...it was based on the SNES version...the DOS version was better but I didn't list it)
Elder Scrolls: Arena and Daggerfall (before Oblivion there were the games that started it all)
World of Aden: Thunderscape (classic SSI RPG...NOT based on AD&D)
Realms of Arkania: Star Trail and Shadows over Riva (good RPG stuff from the makers of Wizardry)
Wizardry 6 and 7: Bane of Cosmic Forge and Crusaders of the Dark Savant (looooong RPGs with lots of story)
Skyrealms of Jorune: Alien Logic (another original SSI RPG...almost an adventure game)
And the list of SSI AD&D games for DOS
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager
Al-Qadim
Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession
Menzoberranzan

Some great gaming in the early 90's on the PC...that list leaves off the FPS, flight sims, and RTS games which were so great on the PCs and now tend to dominate the entire gaming market (except for flight sims...god rest their soul...too expensive to develop and a niche market...)

IWantMyMTV
December 1st, 2007, 03:46
Deniska,

Nice job with Tyrian...saw the YouTube video...looked great...

That's what got me so excited to make that long list...

DOS games at playable framerates (DOSbox for PSP just isn't working for me)...incredible...

Emeriastone
December 1st, 2007, 09:58
Port Ultima Underworld and Ultima Underworld 2.

Murdock
December 1st, 2007, 12:00
Tis may be off topic a little bit, but ...

My Top 5 suggestions...

1) Fallout

w/o the mouse, this'd be a real pain in the ass to control, or am I wrong here? I loved the game, but I can't imagine to play it on the PSP ... anyway, there's no source available and it seems to be a pretty complex game .. should be hard to port it, unfortunately ... :(

2) Master of Magic

afaik, this already worx ... in full speed with DosBox by CrazyC ... talk to me for more details and a rar pack with both included ;)

Raptor (a lot like Tyrian)

worx in DosBox, tested by me ... I think not with 100 % speed, yet but playable (I guess at ~90 % speed)

Abuse (platform shooter [best there ever was for DOS]...controls could be a bit difficult on the PSP)

The games worx in DosBox, it loads but is unplayable, yet, unfortunately ... maybe it's playable on future releases of DosBox

Crusader: No Remorse or No Regret (isometric shooter...was fun in the 90's...very dated now)

This game is more than fun .. it's just awesome to play! I loved the mech :) you can play one of them (I think the successor, can't remember which it is :) ) on the PSX emulator, since it was released for PSX ... worx 100 %, I got it

Space Quest 6: The Spinal Frontier (Sierra was the only company that could really compete with LucasArts)

SQ5 worx in DosBox, a little slow w/o frameskip, but I guess okay with a little tweaking ;) SQ6 should run, too, I think.

Star Trek 25th Anniversary

My comment: Look at SQ comment above ... :)

Battle Isle 2 (sci-fi turn based)
Settlers 2 (medieval, cutesy city management)
Caesar 2 (Roman city management)
Lords of the Realm 2 (medieval, not cutesy city management)
Heroes of Might and Magic (yes...yes...yes...was a tough call between this and Warlords 2...HoMM 2 would be even better but I think it's Win95 only)
Dungeon Keeper (real time but not as time critical as Command & Conquer or Warcraft...no worries on the rush tactics)

Those run in DosBox, but not playable (except Warcraft, this one plays okay :) )
I ven managed to get Dungeon Keeper to load the first level ... but it was a slideshow :) Maybe CrazyC can get DosBox to run it at an acceptable speed ... I pray for this :D Setters 2 worx, almost playable w/o frameskip .. it's slow but playable, since you don't need this game to run fullspeed I suppose.

LotR2 runs, too ... but too slow to have fun ...

Sid Meier's Civilization (started it all...just doesn't seem as good after playing Civ 2 and Civ 3...haven't played Civ 4 yet)
Sid Meier's Colonization

Both run at 100 % ... :D

Jagged Alliance (turn based isometric squad based combat...X-Com in South America with drug cartels and no aliens)

A little slow, but playable ... :)

RPG
(Note: Ultima VII was released for the PSP as part of EA Replay...it was based on the SNES version...the DOS version was better but I didn't list it)

This game has already been ported to the PSP ... :p it's called Exulut, u have to use the Ultima VII files of the PC version to run it ... search for it, or if u want to, I can upload it ... but it's kinda easy to find!

So u see, some of your wished have become true and fulfilled ... and it's not even Christmas, yet! :thumbup:

kris threat
December 1st, 2007, 12:51
Fallout would be pretty cool, but like mentioned it would probably be hard to play with out a mouse since the mouse is practically all you use to play. Plus the only way to get it on the psp since there is no source is to use that alternate engine that a team was working on a while back...IanOut I think it was called.

SpacemanSpiff
December 1st, 2007, 13:15

HoMM2 supports Dos, you can play it in PSP DosBox but its extremely slow and I can't figue out how to get the sound working. I definitely agree that it would be great to see it running on the PSP at playable speeds, it would probably be my #1 choice :cool:

IWantMyMTV
December 1st, 2007, 16:31
Murdock,

Thanks for the info (even if some others think it is off-topic)...I run Dosbox 0.72 on my laptop (an old P4M 2.2 GHz), and all those games are playable with some massaging (in fact, that's how I made the list...looking at the DosBox shortcuts on my laptop)...

I didn't know Dosbox was up and running that fast on the PSP...that's great news...and yes, like an early Christmas...

I always found direct ports ran a bit faster than working through a do-all emulator (at least on the PC)...Descent finally ran ok on DosBox 0.70 with my laptop, but I had already gone to DescentXP...same for Duke Nukem 3D...

And out of curiosity (I'm not a programmer so I'm not sure if the following terms are correct)...you cannot extract source code once it's compiled into an .exe, correct? Where are people finding source code for some of this software? I guess I'm naive...I know roms are everywhere, but, in the PC world, those are compiled .exe files...I thought only the developers had source code...are developers providing source code to older titles now?

What's wrong with using the analog pad as a mouse with the left and right triggers as mouse buttons? *scratching head* Definitely not as accurate as a mouse and that's why I can't play RTS games...but a turn based game like Fallout should be OK...

Thanks for the feedback and I'll look at DosBox...hopefully, one of the PSP coders is looking for a post-Christmas project...

Murdock
December 1st, 2007, 16:50
Murdock,

I didn't know Dosbox was up and running that fast on the PSP...that's great news...and yes, like an early Christmas...

Yeah, a very good version of DosBox is around since about half a year, I think. I enjoy playing with it very much. I even made a little manual for those who haven't dealt that much with Dosbox for PC yet and because the p-sprint input is a little complicated.

If you want to, feel free to test DosBox, preferably in form of a compilation made by me :D it has DosNavigator 1.51 to make loading of games easier and the config is already tweaked a bit (like the maximum amount of RAM is used, etc.). Here's the link, if u wanna d/l it:

http://rapidshare.com/files/57854536/DosBox_23.09.07___Manual_1.2.rar

There is actually a newer release, only a few days old, , but CrazyC hasn't told the fans what changes he made. I personally believe this newer version just uses kernel 3.xx instead of 1.5, which makes it Slim compatible. This version I haven't tested yet.

http://rapidshare.com/files/64776876/DosBox_Manual_by_Howling_Mad_Murdock_1.8.pdf

And out of curiosity (I'm not a programmer so I'm not sure if the following terms are correct)...you cannot extract source code once it's compiled into an .exe, correct? Where are people finding source code for some of this software? I guess I'm naive...I know roms are everywhere, but, in the PC world, those are compiled .exe files...I thought only the developers had source code...are developers providing source code to older titles now?

Normally, you can "disassable" a DOS game to find out how it works and to be able to port it. This is done by certain applications. BUt this only works if it's not a complex game, as far as I know and if it's not crypted ... maybe I use wrong terms, too, here but I somewhere read that programmers can make it harder/impossible for others to disassable their applications. And in general, to have the source is always better than having to reconstruct the whole thing on your own. With the source, it only has to be adapted to fit into/onto (whichever is gramatically correct :p) the hardware environment.

What's wrong with using the analog pad as a mouse with the left and right triggers as mouse buttons? *scratching head* Definitely not as accurate as a mouse and that's why I can't play RTS games...but a turn based game like Fallout should be OK...

You are right, it'd work and that's the main point. But I also have tried to play RTS games on the PSX ... u know, it worx and that's what counts most. But it is in no way comparable to the accuracy and the "smoothness" of a mouse :) the speed, the acceleration by "pushing" the mouse faster, ect. ...

But generally speaking, I admit, you are right. It'd work and since it's turn-based, you aren't in a rush and you'd be able to play the game very well :)

IWantMyMTV
December 1st, 2007, 18:24
Just finished the download and took a quick read through the manual...

Excellent package...one stop...you even included the elf2pbp program...

The manual is easy to read and very helpful and well put together...

Great job Murdock...everyone should grab that manual and .rar file...

(I had forgotten that I actually tried DosBox on the PSP a while back but the keyboard input was killing me...you're manual explains it very well...)

Thanks...

NightRaven
December 1st, 2007, 18:52
I know some of these maybe supported on other platforms(such as starcraft :D) but PC versions tend to be better 99% of the time. Well it has a definite me factor to it of course, maybe someday PSP dosbox will support some of these as the PC version does.

Theoretically speaking many of these should be possible but Im sure some of these are pipe dreams but you cant fault me for wishing ;). Although ppl do amazing things with old and new hardware these days :rolleyes:. Off the top of my head, I'd personally love to see - work resume on\ported - depending on the game:

Needs ported or PSP Dosbox\PSP MAME to support em:

Arcade
The Simpsons Arcade (Btw the PC version runs well on Dosbox but its far from arcade perfect)
Probably more arcade games I cant think of...If pspmame could find a way to use a cache type file like CPS1 & 2's cache for instance - possibly more arcade games would become playable. Just a thought!

FPS
Blood - Runs on pspdosbox but gives an error about what I think is an interrupt being incorrect(something like int 8 returned int 0 or some such problem) but more than likely a slideshow - "I live, again!" sorry had to :)
Strife - Loved this is a RPG FPS and one of my favorites, Runs on pspdosbox but slideshow - "Aww whats the matter? Mommy say its dinner time?" Again had to :rofl:
BlakeStone: Aliens of Gold - Runs on pspdosbox but slideshow
Heretic II
Descent II
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Unreal(we can dream cant we :D)

RPG
Sacred (:rofl: Dreaming again I know will never happen :eek: )
Nox - This one would lend itself well to a game pad least imo hrmmm.....
Arcanum
Diablo I and II - Still love the first one better despite it being older and less areas\classes to play with.
Pool of Radiance - OLD
AD&D Game Collection: Dark Sun I & II, Ravenloft, Menzobarrenzen, etc - prolly more I cant think of right now. Been a long time.

RTS
Dungeon Keeper I & II - loved em two of the greatest evil themed RTS - For the evil in you *evilgrin*
Warlords: Battlecry I or II - prolly pipedreamish

Needs some work still:

FPS
Wolfenstein 3D - and I dont mean just the very first one(runs slow maybe just me? let me know if so! Maybe settings are off etc)
Starcraft
Rise of the Triad - Dont need much work really just a petpeeve of mine that the game dont show the intro or loading screen on the first level in the full version(not shareware one it works fine)! Thanks Deniska still runs great to this day! Cant wait to see Tyrian!
Descent I - Descent I plays good but the keyboard still freezes it and it still hardcoded to ms0:\psp\game\descent, could definitely use some keyboard\gamepad and multiplayer work. Thanks magiK Descent still runs great as well cept for the problems mentioned.

b_simpson1999
December 1st, 2007, 21:02
i whould like a psp port or psp homebrew whould be pipemania (without emueltor) which whould be nice

Tesseract
December 1st, 2007, 22:40
The main point, I think, to PORTING a game, rather than just having it run on an emulator would be to refine the controls a little better.

For example, look at Civilization 2. They ported that to the PSX in a way that actually somewhat works after you get used to the controls. It doesn't use a faux-mouse interface or anything.... Just button shortcuts and having direct movement for the units rather than point-and-click.

Games like that where even on the PC version, you could theoretically completely ditch the mouse and play ONLY with the keyboard would be ripe for a relatively easy port. TAB and SHIFT-TAB to move through fields sucks when you've got a mouse handy, but left and right on a D-Pad are much more intuitive and do the same job.

Arcade games and such (I wholeheartedly approve of a Terminal Velocity port as well!) would port well because they were initially MADE for using a joystick to control. Point-and-click or RTS games where having a full keyboard and mouse is more of a necessity would take a LOT of work to get right on any controller-only console. (Diablo on the PSX just didn't work for me.)

My second point for a port rather than an emulator is just ease of use. I'd love to just load the MOO2 EBOOT onto my MemStick, select it in the GAMES menu and go. Bypassing the need for a multi-purpose emulator would also free up some resources that can be used to make that particular game run much better. (Though I'm sure to get around any copyright concerns, the EBOOT would just be an executable and one would need to supply all the game files from their own CD copy. MOO2's CD-checking was easy to bypass, too, being just a single line in the INI.)

evilguy12
December 2nd, 2007, 16:51
Earthworm Jim on PSP? (the Pc version) That would be cool.

tron96
December 2nd, 2007, 20:40
Descent 2 would also be a good port. I know that Desscent 1 has already been ported and it should be based on the same code as Descent 2. Dark Forces was also another good choice.

kyyubidx
December 2nd, 2007, 23:46
for those who want some ideas for some ports go here: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72333

old post by me with some port suggestions

kharaboudjan
December 3rd, 2007, 05:18
i would love to see my favorite game Stonekeep on my psp! =)

andwhyisit
December 3rd, 2007, 12:26
Goosebumps: Escape from Horrorland

I would love to see that on my PSP one day.

kyyubidx
December 4th, 2007, 01:22
if anyone wants to try and make some ports check: http://www.liberatedgames.org

andwhyisit
December 4th, 2007, 01:41
AvP:
http://www.liberatedgames.org/game.php?game_id=21

That would be a great game to port.

kyyubidx
December 4th, 2007, 15:12
that's what i mentioned in my first post xD the thread i linked above... Also TES: Arena and Civilizations

dragon935
December 6th, 2007, 01:38
port elder scrolls 1 or 2 to psp. that would be most excellent. elder scrolls 1 would prob be easier