PDA

View Full Version : Version 2.00 Firmware being released on July 27th!

Odie
July 21st, 2005, 14:36
The Japanese version of the v2.00 firmware is scheduled for release on July 27th, less than a week away according to a report on psp.ign.com.

New features include better video codec playback support from Memory Stick, a web browser (!!!), picture sharing (ad-hoc only), WPA wi-fi security support (excellent!) and a few other nice improvements.

Full details: http://psp.ign.com/articles/635/635505p1.html

Being one of the people that upgraded to 1.51 just before 1.50 got homebrew, I think I'll probably upgrade to v2.00 as soon as it comes out and hope that the popularity of it will focus homebrew attention on trying to get homebrew apps to work on it.

- Odie

xuphorz
July 21st, 2005, 15:31
The Japanese version of the v2.00 firmware is scheduled for release on July 27th, less than a week away according to a report on psp.ign.com.

New features include better video codec playback support from Memory Stick, a web browser (!!!), picture sharing (ad-hoc only), WPA wi-fi security support (excellent!) and a few other nice improvements.

Full details: http://psp.ign.com/articles/635/635505p1.html

Being one of the people that upgraded to 1.51 just before 1.50 got homebrew, I think I'll probably upgrade to v2.00 as soon as it comes out and hope that the popularity of it will focus homebrew attention on trying to get homebrew apps to work on it.

- Odie
internet browser?
they really are trying to get people off homebrew :p

Odie
July 21st, 2005, 15:37
Indeed! I'm eager to upgrade since I've not experienced homebrew yet (and therefore I'm not going to miss anything) and there's very little chance anyone's going to be bothered focusing on patching 1.51 or 1.52, it's more likely that the focus will turn to getting homebrew on v2.00 as it is a major release.

Either way, I think this is finally a firmware update worth performing.

El Payo
July 21st, 2005, 17:08
What about the white PSP - maybe I'll save my pennies and use that one for 2.0 and keep my black one for homebrews...

More info on the Sony meeting here: http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000997051360/

J@F
July 21st, 2005, 19:53
I hope they crack this version. I don't use my home network because of lack of WPA. If only PSP had WPA from the start, like it should've (damn it, I hate you SONY for that) then I could just use vnc. I really really want a web browser. and I really really want homebrew. does anybody know if using a VPN or something will help me with my security conserns with WEP.

PS. I'd like to extend my hate to all game pirates (the ones that pirate current-gen games that are still on store shelves that is) for making companies not just want to but have to discourage homebrew from running on there system. If it wasn't for you companies wouldn't have that great of a case in stoping home brew and therefore would allow it (even if they rather not)

way to go jerks, not only are you stealing, but you're also making it easy for companies to persuade goverments into restricting our freedoms.

Cap'n 1time
July 21st, 2005, 20:28
bah. eventually a homebrew browser will be created... I have no interest in this update.

Fly On
July 21st, 2005, 21:13
^^
Exactly. Eventually, most if not all of the new features in 2.0 will have a homebrew counterpart.

Velo
July 21st, 2005, 21:48
Wow, they added background customization. Go Sony (for once)! looks likes everyones opinions mattered for a change.

Eh, I'd rather wait for this than a homebrew. At least I know someone is actually working on making the PSP more customizable, even if it is Sony.

Cap'n 1time
July 21st, 2005, 22:28
Wow, they added background customization. Go Sony (for once)! looks likes everyones opinions mattered for a change.

Eh, I'd rather wait for this than a homebrew. At least I know someone is actually working on making the PSP more customizable, even if it is Sony.

you can already do most of this + more with homebrew...

tools exist for background changing and media players allow for differant media types to play on the psp (including OGG!) there is no point in blowing off the homebrew scene for somthing like this. most people already know this though... i dont even know why im typing it.

Velo
July 21st, 2005, 23:19
I am aware of this home-brewing, but by the time they get a buggy webbrowser home brew out for the PSP the one in the update is already going to work and be out.

besides, homebrewing CAN mess up your PSP. Why take the risk when you can get features without home-brewing?

besides, I think this contributes too much to opinion and I don't want to start fight over somthing just because of user preferances.

-James

Kaiser
July 21st, 2005, 23:32
2.00 doesn't have enough features to make me give up my homebrew. Even if new games only work for 2.00 I'll stick with my 1.5.

mattsoler
July 22nd, 2005, 00:24
I want a web-browser bad for my psp but don't wanna give up 1.5 think they will be able to hack 2.0 for homebrew too or think it will have full proof security this time. Would be cool if someone completely redid psp OS like they have done with xbox.

Odie
July 22nd, 2005, 01:37
think it will have full proof security this time.

There is no such thing. It may close some of the existing loopholes, but if someone is willing to spend the time, pretty much anything is crackable.

RedKing14CA
July 22nd, 2005, 01:39
i wont be upgrading my firmware till sony pulls there heads out of there butts, or makes a keyboard... lol....

edit- sony thinks people will either buy 2 psp's or upgrade to play new games...

i dont get they they hate "home brew" their freaking bastards, i mean, their laptops can play homebrew wtf!!!

edit- im getting a red psp next year :o

edit- this thread isnt very populaur now is it?

JcBoyCool
July 22nd, 2005, 02:08
Is this update worth it? hmmmm lets think..... Lose thousands if not millions of games to play with homebrew plus lose the loaders that load current generation games for a web browser? hmmmmmm HELL NO.

Jdemon
July 22nd, 2005, 02:18
It's gonna be interesting to see how this plays out. I think this update is much more ripe for hacking than 1.51 or 1.52 was. While it would be nice to do the whole "web-browsing" thing from my PSP it's not that big of a deal for me personally. But once the fall comes there are alot of games I'm going to "have-to" have. Eventually I probably will be forced to dig deep in my pockets or sacrifice the EMU/Homebrews. Odds are when/if that day comes I will get another unit... I sure hope the price drops for Christmas :D

mattsoler
July 22nd, 2005, 02:36
There is no such thing. It may close some of the existing loopholes, but if someone is willing to spend the time, pretty much anything is crackable.

Thats the thing, if the loopholes are removed you're probably not cracking the 128 bit AES encryption algorithm. The same algorithm the US Government uses to encrypt its most classified documents.

AES is the result of a worldwide call for submissions of encryption algorithms issued by the US Government's National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) in 1997 and completed in 2000.

However, yes it is still possible. Just extremely unlikely.

Cap'n 1time
July 22nd, 2005, 16:40
Thats the thing, if the loopholes are removed you're probably not cracking the 128 bit AES encryption algorithm. The same algorithm the US Government uses to encrypt its most classified documents.

AES is the result of a worldwide call for submissions of encryption algorithms issued by the US Government's National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) in 1997 and completed in 2000.

However, yes it is still possible. Just extremely unlikely.

tis true... sad but true :(

Bus1nessboy
July 22nd, 2005, 19:56
Ya know, if this update supported Flash and sound other than that stupid beat in wipeout then I'd do it, flash games kick ass.

By the way will we be able to view videos online with it or not? ya know like Quicktime.