PDA

View Full Version : What should I minor in?

quzar
November 30th, 2007, 21:07
So, it seems like I've been putting this off way too long, and now have to decide on a minor for next semester or be delayed in graduating (the school of computer science here requires all CS students to get a minor). Right now it seems like the choice is between Philosophy and Physics.

So what do ya'll think? I'm leaning towards Philosophy, because I feel like I'd enjoy it more, but at the same time, physics would probably be more useful career-wise.

ExcruciationX
November 30th, 2007, 21:30
I'd say Physics, because it's awesome.

Junixx
November 30th, 2007, 21:36
I voted for Physics because it seemed more useful, and I've heard Philosophy was a dumb class

dejkirkby
November 30th, 2007, 21:41
I voted Philosophy because I did Physics and it was hardly exciting.

blackrave
November 30th, 2007, 22:38
Almost the most important thing, is to choose whatever you think you'll like the most. So if you think philosophy sounds fun and useful, do that.

On the other hand, as you say, studying physics gives more opportunities, and you can manage it without a doubt.

I'm probably doing physics next school year, and vote for you to do it, too - but, of course, don't make your decision over these votes.

Buddy4point0
November 30th, 2007, 23:09
I said physics but what do i know.
I'm only a soft more in high school and I don't really know what ether of these would entail.

Do whatever your gut is telling you, I wouldn't listen to others

quzar
November 30th, 2007, 23:53
To iterate: of course I'm not going to decide based on a poll here, I simply wanted to see if maybe someone would throw in something insightful/useful.

Raekwik11
December 1st, 2007, 02:24
I said physics but what do i know.
I'm only a soft more in high school and I don't really know what ether of these would entail.

Do whatever your gut is telling you, I wouldn't listen to othersyoure only a sophomore?
i could have sworn you were older.
lol. im a senior.

again, kcajblue on bros account.

Man
December 1st, 2007, 04:27
I wouldn't take physics mainly based on the inconsistency of the science, what i mean is, maybe in 5-10, maybe even tomorrow, all of the theory's that you study may become obsolete and be useless. but then again i could be wrong, and crazy, and have no idea what im talking about, but thats just my insight into the matter .

PS. Quzar do you have an Xbox 360, if you do and you have xbox live add me : canniibalcorpse

Buddy4point0
December 1st, 2007, 06:23
youre only a sophomore?
i could have sworn you were older.
lol. im a senior.

again, kcajblue on bros account.

lol yea every1 thinks im older for some reason.
nope, i can barley drive :D

quzar
December 5th, 2007, 05:36
After looking at the requirements and such, I've narrowed it down to philosophy. Apparently though, I could go for Logic and Computation, a subset within the philosophy department.

What I'm having a hard time determining is how that will be viewed. To me, if I see Logic and Computation, I don't think "in the philosophical sense" I would think it was just an offshoot of the CS.

Thoughts?

souLLy
December 5th, 2007, 10:41
philosophy. it'd be a damn sight more interesting.
Your choices won't necessarily influence employers to too great an extent if you ask me, more often than not grades and proven ability to learn within the general area of employment is often all they're looking for. Specific stuff relevant to your job is normally learned by doing in most cases.