PDA

View Full Version : FoF Port (in progress)

juniorspudgun
November 30th, 2007, 21:36
Hi Guys

Yeah i'm new to the forum but i've watched things for a while, and me and my friend have started a Frets on Fire port, and so far it is going smoothly, here are some facts:

- We have removed the strum feature, because after playing HardHat's "Gunnar Hero" we decided to lose it to make playing easier, we may have an option to have it on or off

- Frets on Fire songs WILL be supported, that is one reason why we started it.

- Two tracks, so when you miss a note the guitar will stop playing but the instruments carry on

- Controls are still being discussed as i type, but we'll use something similar to Gunnar Hero's (Thanks HardHat, for the inspiration)

Of course, i'm not a "fully-fledged" homebrew developer, and any advice would be greatly appreciated, we will release it as soon as we have a stable build, but we will get screenshots ASAP.

:thumbup:

Thanks Guys!

HardHat
December 1st, 2007, 14:28
Sounds great! I look forward to it. Are you using the python environment that is available on the PSP, or are you doing the port as a rewrite in a different language?

JKKDARK
December 1st, 2007, 14:32
Frets on Fire.. where did I hear about this game?

HardHat
December 1st, 2007, 14:36
It and Freetar are the two most popular free Guitar Hero type rhythm games. It is written in Python, and is playable anywhere that python/pygame is available. It supports it's own format of songs as well as Guitar Hero format songs.

juniorspudgun
December 1st, 2007, 15:28
Alright, got an update, i have two copies now of the Frets on Fire source code, i have it in C++ and its original Python form, as im not an amazing homebrew develpor could someone give me some tips? things seem to be coming along well, but i have to ask, whats the way forward?

JKKDARK
December 1st, 2007, 15:38
It and Freetar are the two most popular free Guitar Hero type rhythm games. It is written in Python, and is playable anywhere that python/pygame is available. It supports it's own format of songs as well as Guitar Hero format songs.

Oh thanks, I remember it now :) Can't wait for some screens

juniorspudgun
December 1st, 2007, 15:46
we will get screens installed as soon as we get it running well, we will probably use a mod or something for the first release as the buttons are keys, and we want this to feel as guitar-hero-esque as possible:D

wolfpack
December 1st, 2007, 16:21
heh i hooked up my usb guitar from guitar hero to play this game on the pc. it was very very fun. This will be an interesting piece of homebrew.

juniorspudgun
December 1st, 2007, 19:35
yeah we did that too, it is really good fun, and when you're playing your own songs, its even more fun! and the idea of creating your own songs inputting the notes with the guitar on the pc and then copying them over to your psp for when you're on the move, it's an exciting idea.

UPDATE: We got something today, finally, we managed to get the EBOOT.PBP but for some reason it doesnt like loading, any ideas? and whats a good EBOOT.PBP compiler from C++ coding?:thumbup:

bomber619
December 1st, 2007, 20:32
hi everyone im junorspudgun's mate an thought i would give u n update a if u want 2 add any ideas or mods say now an we will see what we can do but if we keep working at the rate we are we should have the test game compiled after we finish converting the python files to c++ so any ideas or advice t speed up the proccess??;)

juniorspudgun
December 3rd, 2007, 18:04
Yeah bomber619 is the other person helping work on this project, we hope to have a running beta of frets on fire tonight, a test version, it will have hardly any differences to the original, and we'll release it for everyone to test as a beta, so look forward to it, if i have it running soon and wokring, ill post a link up to a download, sound good? :thumbup:

kevintrooper
December 6th, 2007, 23:05
oh yeah! finnally I've been looking for a frets on fire port for a long time!

can you use frets on fire mods (like the GH mod)?????

well keep going guys!

I think you could make the controls like on the ps2 when you use a normal controler!

well I also play FoF allot with my ps2 guitar on the PC it rox: i had it for like a year now :D

Thanx for everything,

KevT

PS: try to find a driver for the ps2 or xbox360 or PC guitar hero: guitar which you could hook up via usb adepter andyeah! that would be COOLIO!

punkonjunk
December 7th, 2007, 01:11
Very exciting.

kevintrooper
December 8th, 2007, 19:48
Any Updates??????????????????

kevintrooper
December 16th, 2007, 20:44
This is a fake, isnt it?!?!?

JKKDARK
December 16th, 2007, 20:49
No, it is not fake

kevintrooper
December 17th, 2007, 05:07
how do u know?

juniorspudgun
December 23rd, 2007, 21:12
hi guys, i know its been a while and i can see kevintrooper is obviously anxious, but i can't give much of an update as i am on holiday for christmas until jan 1st, bomber619 is working on it but i havent spoken to him for a few weeks, so he will update for the time being, please be patient as this does take time, and so does christmas;) i am on my psp so excuse the packed in typing, and kevintrooper, this is not fake, just be patient. bye guys, i hope everyone has a good christmas

kevintrooper
January 11th, 2008, 21:56
anythin new

juniorspudgun
January 12th, 2008, 14:34
Hi again everyone, update time, things are speeding up a bit, as ive been away for a while, and now we're resuming the project as of monday next week, and if everything goes well we'll have it up and running, there will obviously be some bugs but hopefully it will run smoothly, we are also starting some iphone projects as well, so please be patient, we are mainly focused on this for the moment though, any advice from anyone whos done a port? as that would speed up things quite a lot, anyone who gives help will be mentioned on our future site and we will include your name or something relating to you in the credits, please feel free to offer help and support, we will hopefully have something for you all soon, it is a complicated process and we dont want to give you something that doesnt work, so again, please be patient, we shall update you throughout the week.

I hope everyone had a good christmas and happy new year everyone!:thumbup:

kevintrooper
February 9th, 2008, 05:20
When beta?

kevintrooper
February 18th, 2008, 21:41
bump. and i think its over. :(

kevintrooper
March 2nd, 2008, 17:23
Oh, it never even started!

kevintrooper
June 8th, 2008, 02:38
Told you people!

JKKDARK
June 8th, 2008, 02:50
Be patient and don't make multiple posts. juniorspudgun will post here when it's done.

discombobulated
June 29th, 2008, 04:11
Can't wait for this release, if it does come out.