PDA

View Full Version : TYRIAN FOR PSP (Preview)

deniska
December 1st, 2007, 01:20
I decided to take a short break from working on mapThis! and port an old SHMUP from the DOS era, called TYRIAN.
The port is based on OpenTyrian project source, located at http://code.google.com/p/opentyrian/
Here is the preview, showing the game play:
http://www.youtube.com/v/gOZluArjk5E
I'l release the binaries shortly, once I do a couple of tweaks in the code...

Shadowblind
December 1st, 2007, 01:26
Im not gonna lie, I've never even heard of this game, but after looking it up on google, I can't wait! Good luck! :D

Sorry, I can't watch the video, my computers internet sucks too much...

PSPdemon
December 1st, 2007, 01:34
VERY nice looking... i really cant wait till you release this deniska :D

if i may ask... i see options for network and 2 player play......do you plan on making it adhoc? would be interesting :)

as i said... i cant wait till i can try this :D

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

Codaz
December 1st, 2007, 01:51
GREAT Deniska, i played this game on our old computer.

Hope to see it soon.

I'm guessing it uses the same technology as Raptor: Call of the Shadows.

Can you port that too ?

BelmontSlayer
December 1st, 2007, 01:56
I decided to take a short break from working on mapThis! and port an old SHMUP from the DOS era, called TYRIAN.

ZOMG! I loved this game when I was younger! Thanks for porting such a great shmup!

thejonbell
December 1st, 2007, 04:38
my lord. that game definately takes me back, back to playing tyrian on my grandparents' acer computer each summer. man oh man, cant wait for this.

samaticon
December 1st, 2007, 05:18
yah this game was great.
there was like a banana ship that was really powerful eheh

Bestwick
December 1st, 2007, 07:49
Excellent news. I recall playing this years ago and it was great!

I see it went open-source this year and there's a Windows port being worked on too.

titch.ryan
December 1st, 2007, 08:17
this games loooks good cant wait.

never heard of it before though.

zx-81
December 1st, 2007, 08:54
looks great :) can't wait for the release !

Airwave
December 1st, 2007, 10:50
Nice Deniska, it looks great.i hope its coming soon.Maybe do you know Turican?That is a great game too ;)

Good luck and thanks for all your dev.

Anger
December 1st, 2007, 11:02
let me just say

HOLY SHIT!!!

that is shockingly fast and looks very much the original.
well done - looking forward to this release.

-Xandu-
December 1st, 2007, 11:08
Wow nice, reminds me of SkyForce for S60! Can't wait for a release!

Toadzter17
December 1st, 2007, 12:21
deniska, you are officially my hero. It's been over a decade since I originally played this but I still love it. Will it support multiplayer? Carrot ship ftw!

http://lostgarden.com/uploaded_images/Tyrian-Carrot-746836.png

StuiWooi
December 1st, 2007, 13:36
OH MY GOD!! Was tyrian where you could enter a code and have a carrot ship (or something like that)?? I L-O-V-E-D this game when I was a wee little kid, this is AMAZING! Good work!

Thargalt18
December 1st, 2007, 16:30
very nice ! :)
I hope the release will come during the week :D

benn
December 1st, 2007, 16:44
nice speed and stuff. looking forward to release - nice one mate

Robert de Clair
December 1st, 2007, 16:47
Tyrian is a best ship/scrolling up/shooter game for pc ever so if you can port this game with full funtionallity + screen flipping ( i mean catching console in portrait mode) this cold be a hit

DarthPaul
December 1st, 2007, 22:54
Oh My God dude, just hurry and release it!! :eek:

Napalm-Death
December 2nd, 2007, 04:23
Hurry up! @_@

Rowjay
December 2nd, 2007, 11:43
oh wow, this is fantastic, so many hours have I wasted on this on my old computer and dosbox!

I hope there is some way of typing 'destruct' on the main menu ;)

hiddensphinx
December 2nd, 2007, 17:51
look amazing!...I love top scrolling shooters!

yuriks
December 2nd, 2007, 21:54
Hello. I'm one of the OpenTyrian (http://opentyrian.googlecode.com/) developers. I notice you're not really giving us any credit on the port, while it's obvious you based it off our code (look at menu screen). I would like to kindly ask you to mention our site somewhere. I would also recommend you to come to the Tyrian forums (http://tyrian2k.proboards23.com/), and maybe send us a patch so that I can incorporate PSP support in the main source repository too.

deniska
December 3rd, 2007, 03:08
Hello. I'm one of the OpenTyrian (http://opentyrian.googlecode.com/) developers. I notice you're not really giving us any credit on the port, while it's obvious you based it off our code (look at menu screen). I would like to kindly ask you to mention our site somewhere. I would also recommend you to come to the Tyrian forums (http://tyrian2k.proboards23.com/), and maybe send us a patch so that I can incorporate PSP support in the main source repository too.
Hi,
I was planning to give you appropriate credits in the official (PSP binaries ) release, as I always do. (check my other release threads)

You, guys did a great job porting this thing to C.. so of course, all the kudos go to you...
Actually, I even changed the OpenTyrian credits screen to mention all the key players..
Anyways, you are right.. and I will change the root post to mention the OpenTyrian and link to your site.
Again, let me assure you that the official PSP release WILL give you all the credits for creating this wonderful project and link to your site
I'll post a PSP patch in your forums once I have it tested..

deniska
December 3rd, 2007, 06:32
Thanks, zx!

E.J.
December 3rd, 2007, 12:37

Count me in too!, now if someone ports Cho Ren Sha i would be the happiest person on this planet.

yuriks
December 3rd, 2007, 18:50
Hi,
I was planning to give you appropriate credits in the official (PSP binaries ) release, as I always do. (check my other release threads)

You, guys did a great job porting this thing to C.. so of course, all the kudos go to you...
Actually, I even changed the OpenTyrian credits screen to mention all the key players..
Anyways, you are right.. and I will change the root post to mention the OpenTyrian and link to your site.
Again, let me assure you that the official PSP release WILL give you all the credits for creating this wonderful project and link to your site
I'll post a PSP patch in your forums once I have it tested..

Ah, that's OK. I just wanted to ensure you would give us credit, and, more importantly, release your changes, since that's required under the GPL. Looking forward to merging your fixes to the source (since the GP2X port would probably benefit from them too).

Note: Sorry if it looked like I was accusing you, that wasn't my intention. :D

deniska
December 3rd, 2007, 23:16
I'll release the psp binaries later today with the source code.. But don't rush merging the psp code in to the official version.. I'd like to clean it up first and add OSK support (for entering cheats etc..)

Napalm-Death
December 3rd, 2007, 23:45
Yaaaay!!

Bestwick
December 4th, 2007, 18:28
I'll release the psp binaries later today with the source code.. But don't rush merging the psp code in to the official version.. I'd like to clean it up first and add OSK support (for entering cheats etc..)
...and here I was planning on asking how its coming along. Can't wait! I'm playing the Windows port at the moment :D