PDA

View Full Version : the "BASIC" coding library, is it useful or not??

Tetris999
December 1st, 2007, 16:10
anyway yeah i was wondering how useful BASIC is because i have been coding in basic for a long time and its really useless in my opinion, the most coolest thing i have probably made was a calculator

anyway, how powerful is basic generally? and can that coding language be used on the psp?

P.S. Coding is hard!!

quzar
December 1st, 2007, 22:19
generally no. If you're using plain 'ol BASIC, then you can't do much without a LOT of work. Back in the day when BASIC was taught in high schools a friend of the family gave me a game that he made with it (for the AppleIIc). Most all the stuff back then was written in BASIC, as (afaik) C wasn't finished quite yet, and FORTRAN/COBOL were for other purposes.

If you want to move up in the scale, I'd suggest either switching to java or C (as that whole family of languages has very similar syntax and mostly analogous libraries. Or something like VisualBasic. VB was a stepping stone for me between BASIC and C.

PS - I have to write a proxy server this weekend, want to trade? =P

Tetris999
December 1st, 2007, 23:39
generally no. If you're using plain 'ol BASIC, then you can't do much without a LOT of work. Back in the day when BASIC was taught in high schools a friend of the family gave me a game that he made with it (for the AppleIIc). Most all the stuff back then was written in BASIC, as (afaik) C wasn't finished quite yet, and FORTRAN/COBOL were for other purposes.

If you want to move up in the scale, I'd suggest either switching to java or C (as that whole family of languages has very similar syntax and mostly analogous libraries. Or something like VisualBasic. VB was a stepping stone for me between BASIC and C.

PS - I have to write a proxy server this weekend, want to trade? =P

i probably wont be able to do a proxy server really, anyway ill give a go a C, i remember there were textbooks at my school on the stuff

hmm, maybe i can "borrow" one :thumbup: