PDA

View Full Version : Blu-ray players reach 2.7 million units sold in the US

wraggster
December 4th, 2007, 19:32
The Blu-ray Disc Assn. is touting a new milestone passed over the Black Friday shopping period, noting that player sales since launch reached 2.7 million units through Nov. 24.

The 2.7 million sold is a clear achievement over the HD DVD side, which pushed its installment base to 750,000 units following widespread holiday retail sales, notably including $99-priced players at Wal-Mart and Best Buy.

According to the BD camp, total BD disc sales in the U.S. since launch topped 4 million units in November, about the same time HD DVD software sales passed just 2.5 million units.

According to Media Control Gfk International figures cited by BDA, BD movies control 73% of the European market, outselling HD DVD by a three-to-one margin, and BD holds a 95% share of the high-def recorder market in Japan.
http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6509196.html

Basil Zero
December 5th, 2007, 19:28
Wow incredible, good news for sony and its new format :D

JKKDARK
December 5th, 2007, 22:07
damn, HD-DVD is not doing well :(

DPyro
December 6th, 2007, 02:26
Not surprised, Blu-ray is the better format and Sony's got more backing for it than they did their other formats.

Napalm-Death
December 6th, 2007, 05:54
Because it's the best format ever! I can't wait till the Spider-man trilogy comes down in terms of price. That way I can start building my own library.

lmtlmt
December 6th, 2007, 10:20
I only own 1 blu ray movie, and it was the one i got for free by registering my ps3 to the network