PDA

View Full Version : Will Metal Gear Solid 4 really boost PS3 sales?

wraggster
December 4th, 2007, 19:33
It's been the rallying cry of Sony fanboys from the beginning. Things might be bad right now, but you just wait until Metal Gear Solid 4. Then we'll see the PlayStation 3 rise up to conquer, just like the PS2 did, and you'll all be sorry for doubting it.

But will we really? There's a very good argument that Metal Gear's release won't make the blindest bit of difference to the PS3's fortunes as a format, however good it turns out to be (and there's every chance that it will be brilliant). The reason? Things just don't work that way any more.

The industry has changed a lot since Metal Gear Solid became a killer app for the PSone. It's changed almost beyond recognition in just the last twelve months in fact. Two major differences separate the way things are now from the way thing were then: The cost of making games and the kind of people who play them.

http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?releaseId=20051216153655522074&articleId=200711301129734014&sectionId=1006

JKKDARK
December 4th, 2007, 22:06
only a little

Baboon
December 4th, 2007, 22:12
Will Metal Gear Solid 4 really boost PS3 sales?

Does a bear shit in the woods? :)

Triv1um
December 4th, 2007, 23:16
It won't raise the sales as Much as you all think it will. Yes, it will raise them abit, but what do you expect?

The 360 players won't buy because they think its a timed exculsive.

It will make a difference, we are expecting too much of this game. It WILL NOT compete with the xbox and wii sales because of 1 game, sony and 3rd party companies need to do more than that. Sony need to stop being so stuburn and buy some exculsives.

DPyro
December 4th, 2007, 23:39
IMO I think SquareEnix should come out with FFVII PS3. Now THAT would sell consoles.

**1_Man_Matrix**
December 4th, 2007, 23:46
Am I the only person on the face of the planet that loves the PS3? (Ooh look, I said all that without putting the 360 down, there's a lesson there...)

Why is everyone acting like the PS3 is such a big failure? Really, it's overkill. I am looking forward to more than just MGS4, and I'll stand behind the PS3 being a damn awesome machine :)

Triv1um
December 4th, 2007, 23:56
Am I the only person on the face of the planet that loves the PS3?

What?!

I love my ps3. I am just stating the facts that its not doing all that well. If Sony pulled there finger out their ass, they could make this console huge.

Also, a exploit will make the console sell like hot cakes.

lmtlmt
December 5th, 2007, 00:22
bring on the exploit!

F9zDark
December 5th, 2007, 01:34
Well, I think it will move some consoles. What doesn't help the fact is that the Konami spokesperson had fuel the rumor fire once more. If 360 owners believe they might get MGS4, they will have no reason to buy a PS3.

However, Sony could help this situation. Sony has banked on the MGS series in the past and now is no different. Call it, the MGS Sale, and take off 50 bucks from the PS3 for 1 day, when MGS launches.

That will certainly move games and consoles.

wolfpack
December 5th, 2007, 01:36
If exploit gets found, I WILL buy one.

Just cuz I would like to see this thing EMULATE EVERYTHING!!! This thing has POWER but nothing is using its full potential. I would like to see the power maxed out on this thing. Right now it is failing because it doesnt have much exclusives. I would like to see someone find a way to... harness the full power of this machine and have a hayday.

F9zDark
December 5th, 2007, 01:45
Well an exploit would boost sales, but there are quite a few factors that really trounce the exploit finding efforts:

-Price. Bricking a PSP was a tragedy in itself during its early homebrew days. Can anyone imagine the frustration of bricking a PS3? Needless to say, people don't seem willing to mess around with something that, at one point, costed 600 dollars.

-Updates. With updates being necessary for playing online (without using a hack) would be hackers and exploiters may want to vent some steam by playing a game online. Unfortunately they cannot if they don't update.

Secondly, exploits are, sometimes, found by those who aren't even looking for it. Updates could correct these could-be-exploits before anyone has a chance to discover how to use it.

However, Sony has said in the past of having a developer environment on YDL (being developed by the company that makes YDL) for people wishing to program for the PS3. Whether these games will be run strictly from linux or could be burned to a disc or transfered to the partition the XMB uses is beyond me.

DPyro
December 5th, 2007, 02:12
You can actually get online without doing an update. As long as the game doesn't require the update, you can create a fake DNS and tell the PS3 that the latest update is really 0.00 thus PS3 >= the latest update.

lmtlmt
December 5th, 2007, 02:57
how do u do that tho $n!pR

DPyro
December 5th, 2007, 03:14
This is from another site:

Here's a simple way to setup your PS3 to bypass the firmware check using a Windows machine as a dns server, its basically the same thing as what Wii users did to use the wii shop as a browser:

1) Download the SimpleDNS software from http://www.simpledns.com/download.aspx

2) Run SimpleDNS (you don't have to reboot despite the installer telling you to..), click on the Records button

3) In the records window, click on Tools > Quick Domain Wizard

4) For domain name enter: ps3.update.playstation.net

For Web server IP enter 67.15.88.46, delete the Secondary DNS name entry, you do not need it

5) Now that you have your new server added, you need to add A Name entries so the ps3 gets redirected on the firmware requests, to do this simply right click and choose New Host Address (A-Record)

6) We need to add two A-Name entries, depending on what region you are in. You can add as many as you'd like if you want to cover your bases though

For the us, we need fus01.ps3.update.playstation.net and dus01.ps3.update.playstation.net

So, In the host address window, enter fus01.ps3.update.playstation.net for Record name, and 67.15.88.46 for IP Address, set the Time To Live to 999 days. Repeat this for dus01.ps3.update.playstation.net

7) Once done simply close the records window in SimpleDNS so that it is back at the activity window

8) On your playstation 3, go into internet settings and enter manual setup and set your PS3's DNS server entry for the IP of the pc on your lan which is running SimpleDNS, then away you go!

Toadzter17
December 5th, 2007, 05:35
A better question?

Who gives a damn as long as we get it in 2008 xD

See you in MGS Online ^_^!

pibs
December 5th, 2007, 07:48
If I didn't have a ps3 id buy one just for Time Crisis 4 :D MGS is great but having TC4 on ps3 is almost like having the cabinet for half the price.

Mc_Logical
December 5th, 2007, 10:05
Metal Gear is zhit full stop. he moves like a dickcheese, I hate the feel of metal gear games, but it looks ok on ps3, watched trailers, im more of a splinter cell fan myself, them games just feel so much better and look better, metal gear characters are dumb, not just that, theres just something I hate about it, yes I can play it fine, but I think its the mentality of it, the type of ppl who like it YOU SUCK lol

lmtlmt
December 5th, 2007, 12:45
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

And that my friends it what you call a typical example of an asshole :)

F9zDark
December 5th, 2007, 14:58
Metal Gear is zhit full stop. he moves like a dickcheese, I hate the feel of metal gear games, but it looks ok on ps3, watched trailers, im more of a splinter cell fan myself, them games just feel so much better and look better, metal gear characters are dumb, not just that, theres just something I hate about it, yes I can play it fine, but I think its the mentality of it, the type of ppl who like it YOU SUCK lol

Without Metal Gear Solid there would be NO Splinter Cell, or Siphon Filter, or Tenchu, etc.

Basil Zero
December 5th, 2007, 19:24
By the time this game comes out, there will be alot of PS3 units sold, and when it does, alot more will sell.