PDA

View Full Version : Vista pirated half as much as XP, Microsoft rejoices

wraggster
December 4th, 2007, 20:27
While it admits it's not possible to pin down an exact number, Microsoft has let out word today that it estimates the counterfeit rate of Vista to be about half that of XP, a figure that it seems to be more than pleased with. Of course, one could interpret those numbers in slightly less positive ways, but Microsoft claims the sharp dip in piracy is due to Vista's amped up authentication system, which it says is a "proven and effective way to combat piracy." To come up with the numbers, Microsoft apparently relied statistics based on Windows Genuine Advantage validation failures, as well as other unspecified internal data. As TG Daily notes, all this follows Microsoft's announcement of revised anti-piracy measures in Vista SP1 and, specifically, some big changes to the aforementioned WGA feature.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/04/vista-pirated-half-as-much-as-xp-microsoft-rejoices/

Sonicboy 101
December 4th, 2007, 20:33
Nah, the reason that it's not being pirated as much as XP is because people don't want Vista, they want XP! :p

wolfpack
December 4th, 2007, 21:19
Nah, the reason that it's not being pirated as much as XP is because people don't want Vista, they want XP! :p

So so very true

Vista = Powersucking piece of garbage

XP = Easier, less gripey, more compatable piece of software, that can run programs better than Vista without hogging all of the memory.

Harshboy
December 4th, 2007, 21:32
I'd rather pirate XP instead of Vista...I mean, who would go through all the hassle for bloated crapware?

When it comes to performance and gaming, XP is the best.

JKKDARK
December 4th, 2007, 22:05
yeah Vista is not good now, more people prefer XP

mcdougall57
December 5th, 2007, 14:52
i have vista and its a big improvement for me it has less crashes and is way more stable i also like the new visuals and gaming capabilities and i have to say my machine isnt exactly top notch, its also let me set up a home wireless network in two minutes flat i gave up trying on xp

Shrygue
December 5th, 2007, 18:35
Really? Well, the visuals are good but stability and performance isn't good in my opinion. Then again, I only used the beta release candidate version of Windows Vista Ultimate and not yet the final one...

mcdougall57
December 6th, 2007, 00:12
well i wouldnt recommend buying ultimate i think its around £200-£300, but i have used vista beta rc2 and the final is a massive improvement

NoQuarter
December 6th, 2007, 01:02
Vista is overpriced worthless garbge,I don't even use windows but I would rather have XP than vista.

At least I could get some decent performance with XP,vista's hardware requirements are a little silly...

I gotta agree with the previous posters, it's not being pirated because it sucks!!

PLZKLLME0080
December 6th, 2007, 01:11
but Microsoft claims the sharp dip in piracy is due to Vista's amped up authentication system, which it says is a "proven and effective way to combat piracy."

a proven and effective way to combat piracy? do they mean thats why they made it suck? so people wouldn't pirate it?

quzar
December 6th, 2007, 05:00
I'm not a fan of Vista at all either, but I remember when XP came out people were rabble rousing about how they were going to stay with either 98SE or 2000 and that XP was a resource hog because of all it's silly visuals.

I remember saying the same thing when switching from 3.0 to 95b. Why would I need all this? Start bar? What's wrong with progman, nothing I say.

Shadowblind
December 6th, 2007, 05:07
:rofl:

I can say it from experiance: Vista doesn't seema any better then XP. Just shiny :)

No one cares to pirate it. Why? Heh, just read everybody elses posts.