PDA

View Full Version : Phantasy Star Portable for PSP! Never mind

Shrygue
December 5th, 2007, 18:04
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=176898)

The latest issue of Japanese Famitsu magazine reveals Phantasy Star Portable for the PSP. Excellent news we thought, then noticed that it's just a port of PS2 and 360 effort Phantasy Star Universe... without the online stuff.

Phantasy Star Portable (to avoid confusion we won't refer to it as 'PSP') is based on the PS2 and 360 MMO and its upcoming expansion, with the addition of new missions and story points.

Unfortunately the online mode - the focus point of PSU - has been reduced to 4-player wireless multiplayer. Disappointing, but if they can cut off the story fluff for wireless games it could turn out to be a harmless, fun hack-n-slash.

The handheld version is being handled (ho ho!) by Japanese developer Alpha System, who we (and our mate Google) have never heard off. Lets cross our fingers together.

JKKDARK
December 5th, 2007, 21:59
Oh well but it's fantastic to see a Phantasy Star game finally on PSP. And at last it contains an online mode, not the same as the PS2/PC/360 versions but still good.

Necro Star
December 5th, 2007, 22:16
Wish it had online though.

Shadowblind
December 5th, 2007, 22:30
Thank you freaking goodness! Even without online, its still one of the best RPGs around. Still, I'm kinda worried about this Alpha Systems being unheard of....we'll see then, right?

Cenn
December 6th, 2007, 03:08
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=176898)

The latest issue of Japanese Famitsu magazine reveals Phantasy Star Portable for the PSP. Excellent news we thought, then noticed that it's just a port of PS2 and 360 effort Phantasy Star Universe... without the online stuff.

Phantasy Star Portable (to avoid confusion we won't refer to it as 'PSP') is based on the PS2 and 360 MMO and its upcoming expansion, with the addition of new missions and story points.

Unfortunately the online mode - the focus point of PSU - has been reduced to 4-player wireless multiplayer. Disappointing, but if they can cut off the story fluff for wireless games it could turn out to be a harmless, fun hack-n-slash.

The handheld version is being handled (ho ho!) by Japanese developer Alpha System, who we (and our mate Google) have never heard off. Lets cross our fingers together.

CVG is seriously F**KED-UP.
I'm too lazy to register, or else I'd stuff this article right back up their ass.

The Japanese articles specifically say that this is NOT a port. It uses the current gaming system as the 2 PSU games, but has an entirely different story. It retains all the new stuff added in Illumines but is a completely different storyline. How is that a port?

Second, it's Alfa Systems.
Whoever hasn't heard of Alfa Systems needs to get their heads straight.

They've done the original YS series on the PC engine, Ghosts & Goblins, Far East of Eden, Art of Fighting, Gunparade March, Tales of the World, Tales of Destiny 2 for the PSP, etc.
In fact, all of the Japanese sites are relieved that Alfa is doing the game, expecting it to be at least on par with the PS2/360 games.
They've done more games than the writer of the article has lived in years.

san13
December 6th, 2007, 06:23
You Tell EM GUY!!!

quzar
December 6th, 2007, 09:57
CVG is seriously F**KED-UP.
I'm too lazy to register, or else I'd stuff this article right back up their ass.

The Japanese articles specifically say that this is NOT a port. It uses the current gaming system as the 2 PSU games, but has an entirely different story. It retains all the new stuff added in Illumines but is a completely different storyline. How is that a port?

Porting refers to rewriting the software. If it's the same engine, with new content, that is still a port.

Basil Zero
December 6th, 2007, 17:37
who cares if it has online or not, a PS game is coming out on PSP =D