PDA

View Full Version : Official: The games kids MUST avoid

Shrygue
December 5th, 2007, 18:24
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=176922)

The ten most dangerous games, as called by US group National Institute on Media and the Family, have been revealed. Though it's probably a little too late for the Christmas spending frenzy that's already in full swing.

The list has been designed to help parents decide what games are appropriate for their children, just in case they can't see the massive 'M For Mature' rating on the box.

"There's an endless stream of new games that will never be suitable for children," said Rep. Betty McCollum. That's because adults like games too.

The report also took a pop at retailers, mums and dads and us, citing "growing complacency" among game retailers, parents and the gaming industry on ratings and enforcing them. Sounds a bit like panic fire.

"Unfortunately, we're seeing some steps backwards," said institute president David Walsh. You're not helping.

But the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) stepped up as official defenders of the faith. "At a time of year when parents are looking for helpful guidance about video games, this year's report card does little more than sow unwarranted doubt about effective tools like ESRB ratings," said ESRB president Patricia Vance.

All ten games are indeed rated M-rated. They are:

Assassin's Creed
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Conan
The Darkness
Clive Barker's Jericho
Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
Manhunt 2
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
John Woo Presents Stranglehold
Timeshift

Just for fun, what game's the picture from, seen here (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/viewer.php?mode=article&id=188650)?

Anonymous D
December 5th, 2007, 18:42
the screen is jericho, but once again naother story where someone tells parents not to buy games made for adults for thiwer children. now, is it me, or is that obvious?

Veskgar
December 5th, 2007, 19:19
Just glad to see Halo 3 is not on that list. I know its rated M for Mature in the US but my son who just turned 4 has been really into Halo since he was 3.

He's pretty good. If there were a Halo tournament for 3-5 year olds, I'm pretty sure my Son would come in the top 3.

Halo is good guys versus aliens for the most part. And with plasma and lazer beams, its definitely not much more intense than some of the cartoon shows geared towards kids that age. Its really not much more violent than Star Wars was when I saw it as a 4 year old kid.

Also, I wouldn't let kids play it alone. I play it with him either via co-op or on a team using XBOX Live so its more of a work together bonding time. I don't believe in sitting kids in front of a TV and not interacting with them for hours on end.

But yeah, a lot of games its very obvious that you should not let young children play. And if they are exposed to it by friends or other means they need to be explained to that it is only fake and pretend.

Sterist
December 5th, 2007, 19:25
they should soooo add resistance: fall of man

just because the 12yrold's squeaky voices on the mic are fxxxing annoying, not to mention childish attitude

Shadowblind
December 5th, 2007, 21:09
What? Why the heck isn't Postal 2 on there?!

And assasin's creed? Its bad, but not that bad...

Stranglehold? That game is barely "M.

Sonicboy 101
December 5th, 2007, 21:11
Since when has anyone listened to them. :p

DvdXploitr
December 5th, 2007, 21:17
Of those 10, I do agree with them, but also I think the following should be added, even though some of them are older:

- Resourvior Dogs (Xbox is what i played it on....blood/gore, rampant profane language)

- GodFather (Xbox is what I played it on....blood/gore, rampant profanity)

- ANY Grand Theft Auto game (for the same reasons)

- ScarFace (Xbox/Wii....can't go 1 minute w/o saying "F***" and when you fail a mission or die, it says "You F***ed up"....and you deal in cocaine deals for extra cash!)

Now, i'm not against games with these contents, I just don't think kids should have access to them, ScarFace amazed me of what all was in it, the violence is more realistic than Grand Theft Auto, there is chainsaw dismemberment and when you kill enough, your "Balls" meter gets filled up and you go into "Blind Rage Mode" and the entire time your in Blind Rage mode, your character yells out "You can't **** with me you god**** *******, Mother****ers!, ****sucking...etc..."....you can walk up to women and silicit them for sex and when u get rejected you call them names like "Lesbian" and they are talking about having orgies.....very non-kid friendly game, and this post is probably too offensive and I hope i dont' get in trouble over it....but i'm just talkin about the normal course of action in the game.....no codes or anything required for this activity!

PenguinMaster
December 5th, 2007, 23:28
It's obviously a list for this year so Reservoir Dogs and Postal 2 aren't eligible.

What the hell is COD4 doing on the list? Bioshock, F.E.A.R. Files, Scarface, or GTA Vice City Stories would definitely be better choices.

Triv1um
December 5th, 2007, 23:34
CoD-4? WTF?

That's a UK 15 cert game.

kcajblue
December 6th, 2007, 01:40
wow.
lists like these are really stupid.

they have no purpose.

like i said before.
i wouldnt care if my kids played games like those if i did have kids.

SpooForBrains
December 6th, 2007, 11:48
You may laugh at lists like this, but I was witness to the following in a local branch of Electronics Boutique:

A lady walks up the counter with her grandson (I'd guess between eight and ten years old) and says that he has asked her to buy this game for him, and is their any ... language in it? She hands over a copy of Grand Theft Auto III.

The assistant boggles, and then says that, yes, there is lots of language, and plenty of violence too. I mention that one challenge features rounding up prostitutes and taking them to a policeman's ball. She looks darkly at the child and drags him out of the door.

This sort of thing happens a lot.