PDA

View Full Version : Sony's Peter Dille talks in-game XMB

wraggster
December 5th, 2007, 21:51
While responding to a question about firmware updates, Peter Dille, Sony's Senior VP of Marketing, wandered onto the topic of in-game XMB himself:

"As far as in-game XMB access, we know it's a feature that's important to our consumers. Because PS3 packs so much advanced technology 'under the hood,' it takes some time to implement major, new functionalities, but we are working hard on addressing this feature, as well as continually expand the capabilities and functionalities of PS3."

http://www.psu.com/Sonys-Peter-Dille-talks-in-game-XMB-News--a0002074-p0.php

tanukikun
December 6th, 2007, 16:20
In-game XMB is great but where is the DIVX support that was announced...

Microsoft has already scooped Sony on this update.

Things really need to get rolling on the Firmware update front, Sony!

F9zDark
December 6th, 2007, 16:59
From what I have read, the Xbox cannot play DivX files internally, rather it can stream or receive a Divx stream. The PS3 will be able DivX Certified, meaning it can have DivX files on its internal HDD, read DivX from CDs, DVDs, Blu-Ray, Memory Sticks, Thumb Drives, etc.

So Microsoft won't have the "advantage" for long.

I wonder if newly manufactured PS3s after the update will bear the DivX logo on them?

Napalm-Death
December 6th, 2007, 17:57
Wait a min, when was DivX support on PS3 announced? And it is working right now? Looks like I missed something big. >_<

F9zDark
December 6th, 2007, 18:12
It was announced in November, by the DivX Association CEO, that it was coming to the PS3, in a future update and that the Xbox360 was getting support for it.

It hasn't come in the 2.0 or 2.01 updates, as people were hoping, but it should be coming soon. Maybe a nice christmas gift from Sony?

Napalm-Death
December 6th, 2007, 19:13
Oh, so that's why I didn't know. I didn't start paying attention to PS3 news until I got my own PS3 and that was about 3 weeks ago. I really hope we get it soon. Thanks for explaining it.

F9zDark
December 6th, 2007, 19:20
No problem, I have quite a handful of movies and shows encoded in DivX that I would love to watch on the PS3 and/or steam to it via the Media Server option.

Napalm-Death
December 6th, 2007, 20:08
That's pretty much why I'm excited about this. Now all I need is a new hard drive and I'm set.