PDA

View Full Version : Square Enix: Only Microsoft is Putting Message out 360 is a Game Console

wraggster
December 6th, 2007, 17:02
Speaking to CNet Japan, Wada suggested that only Microsoft is putting the message out to consumers that its next-gen console, Xbox 360, is a games machine. He said that consumers are viewing the Wii as a plaything, while Sony is leaving the public confused as to whether its PS3 is a media-hub or a games console.

"The Wii is the antithesis of the Xbox 360. It's strictly for hardcore gamers. The attachment rate for the Xbox 360 is much higher than for the Wii. People who buy the 360 really like games," he said. "I think the current trend is that most people aren't buying the Wii as a game machine, but as a toy... It seems that Sony isn't sure what it wants to do. Is it making high-end electronics or a game console for gamers? I want them to clearly define their console."

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8213&Itemid=2

pibs
December 6th, 2007, 22:13
yea there is much 360 fan loyalty because the fans are willing to pay $50 for their live online services after shelling out for the console. I see it as a commitment, keep making great games, and we will keep buying them.

kjetil1991
December 7th, 2007, 23:50
i think sony should decide what ps3 realy are

Hypershell
December 9th, 2007, 17:28
Well, yes, there are many Wii gamers who buy Wii Play and Wii Fit and leave it at that. But to say that the userbase as a whole views it as a plaything is grossly inaccurate, Wii is meant to appeal to both ends of the field. And thus far they have been doing so successfully. There are a great many Wii games that stray far from your generic party fling, anyone who's paid the least bit of attention knows that.

Also gotta consider that the 360 has been out for roughly twice as long as its competitors. I certainly have more games after owning a console for two years than I did for one. Funny how that works.

Accordion
December 9th, 2007, 18:41
Well, yes, there are many Wii gamers who buy Wii Play and Wii Fit and leave it at that. But to say that the userbase as a whole views it as a plaything is grossly inaccurate, Wii is meant to appeal to both ends of the field. And thus far they have been doing so successfully. There are a great many Wii games that stray far from your generic party fling, anyone who's paid the least bit of attention knows that.

Hate to break it to you, but the Wii is most certainly not for 'both ends of the field'.

From the mare's mouth:
Nintendo is moving away from "solitary anti-social teens" in their "sad addiction that removes the player from reality" Nintendo will soon come to stand for "self development, health, beauty and fitness"

Shadowblind
December 10th, 2007, 04:12
Thank you, Enix. it had to be said, but no one had the guts to say it but you.

I don't have a PS3, so I won't say anything about the personal value of PS3 for me. But I do have a 360 and a Wii. Know which one I play more? Know which one ANY wii and 360 owner plays more?

Enix basically hit the nail dead on the head with the Wii. it does have two stellar games, Mario Galaxy and Legend of Zelda. Even Metroid Prime could be considered pretty fun. But besides those, it has hardly a game one could call "hardcore", or even for a casual audience. More and more and more minigame-full games are being released, and basically, most Wii games released are last-gen games with new controls.

But the Wii is in no way a Gamecube 1.5. Not even a gamecube 1748.5. Wanna know why?

One, some moronic loser somewhere thought the name up because they hate the Wii's success.

But the larger reason is because all parts of the Wii are a step up from the Gamecube. but its all but noticable with the limited selection of crap us Wii users have to choose from these days. One day though, one day....

Back on point....
MS has shown the 360 is a game console, because of the GAMES. It has never once relied on something someone could call a gimmick. No crappy last minute-made shaking controllers, no cheesey little advertisements picturing old people becoming kids again just by playing the Wii. No posting the price drop over every TV program and billboard from the UK to Arkansas.

Hardcore games. The best of the best.