PDA

View Full Version : NetHack DS V1.7 Released

wraggster
December 6th, 2007, 17:27
News/release from Abcd1234: (http://frodo.dyn.gno.org/~brettk/NetHackDS)

Welcome to the home page for my port of NetHack to the Nintendo DS. The goal of this project is to create a port of NetHack for the DS utilizing the unique features of the DS to create an easy-to-use NetHacking experience. I think I've succeeded in that goal. I'm probably wrong.

Features
An unscaled, scrolling map view on the lower screen, which can be interacted with using the touchscreen.
Minimap, message, and status information rendered to the top screen.
Support for 16- and 256-color BMP tilesets, including non-rectangular tiles (tiles must have dimensions which are a multiple of 8, e.g. 8x8, 8x16, etc).
Support for text mode, with optional full color and IBM graphics.
Popup command window for easy access to the full command set.
On-screen keyboard for text input and extended commands.
Keys are almost completely configurable.
Support for both left- and right-handed modes.
Save and restore.
Sleep mode.
News
Yup, version 1.7 is out. Don't ask me if I can keep up this pace… but, hey, enjoy it while it lasts. This version includes some bug fixes, as well as some small feature additions:

Fixes engraving and similar options to allow one to use their finger, as well as an inventory item.
Fixes the text cursor so it's properly animated for things like dagger throws and so forth.
There's now a graphical cursor, similar to the one present in the X11 port.
Corpses are now coloured correctly in text mode.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Mr.Peanut
December 7th, 2007, 14:35
Abcd...
I can not wait to try out this port. I played the original port extensively, but its bugs with broken message output and last messages made some aspects of it unplayable.

You might want to take a look at donnie russell's port of Hack to the GBA. http://www.freewebs.com/drussell/Download.htm#GameBoyAdvance

He added a two screen menu system that really improves gameplay over using a touchscreen keyboard.

Thanks for keeping text mode.

Mr.Peanut
December 7th, 2007, 14:40
p.s. Text clipping can make the game unplayable. For example, you can not see the results of dipping tests.

Check out donnie's source for text wrapping routines. The wrapped text temporarily overwrites the top of the map.