PDA

View Full Version : Dreamcast 2 in the works?

Dr._Zoidberg
December 6th, 2007, 18:00
Dreamcast 2 in the works?

Trademark application sparks excitement over SEGA re-entry into console market.

SEGA Corporation has filed a new application to protect the trademark Dreamcast - sparking rumours that the Japanese publisher is planning on making a shock return to the console manufacturing market with the Dreamcast 2.

The application (http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=77253368), sent to the United States Patent and Trademark Office's Trademark Applications and Registrations Retrieval (TARR) dated August 13 2007, relates to:

"Home video game machines; player-operated electronic controllers for electronic video game machines; video game interactive controller, namely, hand held pads, and floor pads or mats; joysticks for video games; computer cursor control devices, namely, computer mouse; flash memory cards; video game software, computer game programs".

Web chatter (http://www.trademork.com/dreamcast/) suggests the proof is in the detail of the application - the original Dreamcast didn't have a floor mat accessory and the Dreamcast's Visual Memory Unit (VMU) is far from the flash memory cards we know and use today - although we'd say that the VMU is pretty similar to the modern day memory cards.

The filing could, of course, simply be a further effort from SEGA to protect the Dreamcast name. According to the USPTO the original Dreamcast trademark is still active. However, the two descriptions are very different. You can see the original trademark description here (http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=75528322).

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Dreamcast_2_in_the_works_2

Digg tHis (http://digg.com/gaming_news/Dreamcast_2_in_the_works_2)

We've contacted SEGA UK for comment. We'll update you on this potentially megaton story as we get it.

Source: VideoGamer (http://www.videogamer.com/news/06-12-2007-7049.html)

wraggster
December 6th, 2007, 18:02
oooh :)

Dr._Zoidberg
December 6th, 2007, 18:05
They're possibly just updating their trademarks for future DC XBLA or Virtual Console releases but you never know. ;)

wraggster
December 6th, 2007, 18:10
Imagine a Sega Version of the Wii

Maturion
December 6th, 2007, 18:12
Imagine a Sega Version of the Wii

SEGA should come in the next generation! ;)

wraggster
December 6th, 2007, 18:15
Nintendo have proven that just because other consoles have a bigger set of bollocks they can do more with the Wii

Well more like the Wii has brought gaming into the mainstream ;)

I reckon the Dreamcast with a wii style controller and games suited to it could grab a major slice of the market if done right

ICE
December 6th, 2007, 18:52
I really hope theres something to this.

Hawq
December 6th, 2007, 19:14
I'm getting Soul Calibur/fishing rod flashbacks after that wraggys comment

ExcruciationX
December 6th, 2007, 19:25
A Dreamcast 2 would be so awesome! :d

junkshez
December 6th, 2007, 19:37
a Dreamcast 2 might be great but if they do make it kinda like the wii ppl will start to insult sega for coping Nintendo's idea and wot if it dont sell alot then sega will be bankcrupted

Shrygue
December 6th, 2007, 19:42
I have never had a Dreamcast console but a DC2 sounds like an idea, if it really does happen that is...

Shrygue
December 6th, 2007, 19:44
Dreamcast 2 huh? That sounds great, if it does happen..

Malksta
December 6th, 2007, 19:44
Dreamcast 2? Shenmue 3!!

Shrygue
December 6th, 2007, 19:46
Dreamcast 2 huh? That sounds great, if it does happen. I'll be on to get one if that's the case.

Dr._Zoidberg
December 6th, 2007, 19:52
Shenmue 3!!
Now that would be awesome!

JKKDARK
December 6th, 2007, 20:09
even if it's true, people should not say "Dreamcast 2". Dreamcast 1 was a failure, not a success. Sega wouldn't use the name Dreamcast 2.

Elven6
December 6th, 2007, 21:30
The Name had nothing to do with it, it was poor security techniques mainly! I hope it’s a handheld, that would be awesome!

cal360
December 6th, 2007, 21:38
This is quite interesting. I'm glad Sega hasn't given up on the Dreamcast in some ways, but don't get your hopes up people remember all this is, is one fragment of information.

Dull Blade
December 6th, 2007, 21:43
As much as I jope for this to happen, i am somewhat pesemistic about it. Like JKKDARK said, they probably would call it the dreamcast again. I mean sega was a real video game company that used origional names, if we do a new sega console I doupt it would be called DC... any ways, if it doesnt come true, atleast we know sega still cares about the dc enough to keep its name alive.

As for VC releases of DC games, I'm guessing probably not. I doupt that the wii is powerfull enough to run dc games at fullspeed via emulation.

DimensionT
December 6th, 2007, 22:12
As for VC releases of DC games, I'm guessing probably not. I doupt that the wii is powerfull enough to run dc games at fullspeed via emulation.

You never know what could happen with Nintendo and Sega working together, with teams made up of accomplished developers. Look at PopStation for the PSP. That's a pretty decent comparison if you ask me.

Dr._Zoidberg
December 6th, 2007, 22:12
True, I thought of that too after I had posted. It could be for some current or future download service though.

Masta-G
December 6th, 2007, 22:58
Sega should remain Sega, no fusion with Nintendo
And dreamcast is a lovely name, I just think Dreamcast 2 would sound kinda cheapish...
Man if they would release a next-gen console, I would be the first to buy it...

Duobix
December 6th, 2007, 23:03
Me too. Sega rocks. Maybe they are going to pimp the dreamcast out like nintendo did whit gamecube (in result : Wii), so it will be kinda like Wii but more sega inside? Oh god it's so cool of sega.

Shrygue
December 6th, 2007, 23:30
Dreamcast 2 huh? That sounds great. If it really is in the making and it comes out, I'm on to get one.

r2works
December 6th, 2007, 23:34
I dont see anything happening with a Dreamcast 2. Sega is too involved with Nintendo and Xbox to start marketing a new console. With classic Dreamcast games being available through Xbox live and Sega continuing its epic Characters (Sonic, Nights into Dreams, Soul Calibur) on the Wii; they have given up on any opportunity to market "Sega" material exclusively through a new console.

Maybe a hand held, but not a console.

yoshinatsu
December 7th, 2007, 01:14
That's a weird joke... And I hope it stays a joke!!!
Or else I'm gonna go insane?????
SEGA re-entering the hardware arena??
OMG!!! OMG!!! I'm freakin' buying that one if it has a 0.01% of being real!!

Elven6
December 7th, 2007, 01:23
Well for this to happen they need to increase the quality of their games, their biggest franchises have been tainted by being released on other systems. And one way to know Sega is reentering is when they have no projects in the work's for other consoles!

Twimfy
December 7th, 2007, 03:48
They maybe considering down scaling the Dreamcast arc
itechture for a handheld ...that would seem far more realistic and appealing.

160R
December 7th, 2007, 09:25
Imagine Nintendo and Sega joining to release the same system... Nintendo Dreamcast!! Only dreams, I know lol

Failedartifact
December 7th, 2007, 21:03
class Dreamcast2
{
amazing sega;
}

void Dreamcast2::games
{
JSR PAST!
Shemue 1 -16
The complete sonic adventure
SEGA BASS FISHING
SPACE HARRIER!!
};

Cast128dreams
December 7th, 2007, 23:45
Dreacast its one of the best names,in the video game history.

DREAM-CAST

Easy telling,Two words,Deeper meaning,easy ideas for advertisment and marketing.
PERFECT

guyTHP
December 10th, 2007, 15:29
I don't think a Dreamcast 2 is a good idea, Remaking a classic never works.. It'd be like remaking the VW Beetle. ;)

Cast128dreams
December 11th, 2007, 00:41
I don't think a Dreamcast 2 is a good idea, Remaking a classic never works.. It'd be like remaking the VW Beetle. ;)

Consoles doesnt have wheels and climatronic
but USB ports,bluethoot controls,HD signal and much more.

Dreamcast name maybe its classic but strong.
But i beleive if sega will make a new console they will not use that name again.