PDA

View Full Version : New Idea: Win CE Emu with psp290 driver?

jin7777
December 6th, 2007, 23:51
First post here, let me just say thanks to deniska for creating such a great homebrew gps app for the psp. :thumbup:

i have just thought of this great idea: What do you guys think about a psp running windows ce which would be a platform for an app like route66 or igo and then add support for psp290 and holux devices.

jin7777
January 9th, 2008, 04:16
Strange.. i wouldve expected some discussion on this by now. :(:confused:

Cloudhunter
January 9th, 2008, 08:30
First post here, let me just say thanks to deniska for creating such a great homebrew gps app for the psp. :thumbup:

i have just thought of this great idea: What do you guys think about a psp running windows ce which would be a platform for an app like route66 or igo and then add support for psp290 and holux devices.

Well, it's pretty much because there is no need for it - Deniska's is pretty much as good as a commercial program - and has the advantage of being open source.

Cloudy

bah
January 9th, 2008, 09:00
There are many reasons:
The PSP has no MMU.
You'd need some funky bios to get it booting even if it had one.
You'd need drivers for all the PSP's hardware, not just the GPS unit.
I'm sure there's a lot more reasons why not.

You could perhaps emulate a platform that runs WinCE, but it would be slow and quite frankly pointless. As cloudhunter said, Mapthis is pretty damn good. If it had vector map support so the maps could be much smaller (which has been talked about) it would be near perfect.