PDA

View Full Version : Why is the ps3 outselling the wii in japan?

shadowprophet
December 7th, 2007, 01:27
I've pondered this time and time again. In the land of the rising sun at least there is no doubt that the ps3 has managed to outsell the wii for the month of november.
There is much desire for an answer to this paradox of questions. To me is doesn't make since, You ask the average rising sun gamer, who is the number one developer of all time. They repeat nintendo over and over again " no matter how you ask the question"
So why for november has sony outsold the wii?

I've heard the echoes in the halls, whispers.. "everyone already has a wii. Its time something else sold a little". I want to debunk that drunken prom date statement, The DS has reigned as lord of the handheld market ever since its launch phase and still manages to sell surprising high. Wouldn't everyone that wanted a DS lite have one by now?.. Logically there is still room for the wii market to expand in japan.

So. Why are the wii's sales figures falling in japan?

I submit that nintendo is too hardware focused while pushing casual games upon the true back bone of the gaming community, "the hard core gamer" is alienated, This is no new topic.. But I bring to the table that nintendo is more focused on moving console then bring out great games for the console that it has made so popular. I mean sure the wii is hot, It's as hot as any console has been since the NES but. Unlike the NES there are only a hand full of great truly triple a titles. Yes wii fans I know that hurt you. especially coming from shadow the arbiter of all wii fans. But deep in your heart you know its true. Nintendo is just too focused on moving units to bring us a strong library. Sure on the wii we have some of the best games on the market today. But its only a hand full of titles.

Go now and look at your wii library.. What do you see? Sure mario galaxy is there its a truly awesome title. zelda twilight princess. super paper mario. metroid prime 3, All triple a titles, there is no doubt about that. they truly are the top tier of gaming goodness this generation. But now count them.,, Go ahead, I'll be waiting right here. Yes that's only 4 block buster titles. There are a few great games on the horizon that are also must haves. super smash bros. and uhhhh..... uhhh.......
hmmm

well you get the picture..

Now I realize there are quite a few great games I didn't mention. but that is neither here nor there. The titles I mentioned are triple a titles. titles that everyone can agree are must haves.... " titles that sell consoles".. now flash forward, back to my original topic. this is not a doom forecast for nintendo. I believe in my heart nintendo is on top. and will remain on top through the remainder of this generation. But as a nintendo fan. No.. As a video game fan. We deserve better. We deserve more great titles. And I think genuinely. The over seas market feels the same way. I think that could be part of why the sales figures are falling. great games push console sales figures, for a long time the wii has been selling on hype alone. Oh the mega fabulous wii with it's innovate motion controls!! But the hype of innovation is a fickle mistress. both hype and innovation age poorly. I think if nintendo wants to see it's console sale figures soar again. They need to bring us the good's. Because ultimately I speak as a hard core gamer and this casual shit just isn't cutting it..

So what do you guys think? Have an opinion as to why the ps3 is outselling the wii in japan? Let us hear it.

Shades:cool:

Triv1um
December 7th, 2007, 01:37
Because people are starting to realise the potential of the powerful ps3.

The Wii is for novelty value, the PS3 is for life. (Well untill the ps4, haha)

kcajblue
December 7th, 2007, 01:50
cause everyone already has a wii.
its that awesome.

wii is for life too.

ICE
December 7th, 2007, 01:58
Wii sales are still doing very well. The thing is Japan has always loved anything sony and the price drop just reminded them. Basically that drop in price made that large group of people on the edge of buying a PS3 decide to go ahead and go for it.

*Off Topic*
Werent you supposed to be on Vendeta's radio broadcast for cm/hh?

shadowprophet
December 7th, 2007, 02:15
Wii sales are still doing very well. The thing is Japan has always loved anything sony and the price drop just reminded them. Basically that drop in price made that large group of people on the edge of buying a PS3 decide to go ahead and go for it.

*Off Topic*
Werent you supposed to be on Vendeta's radio broadcast for cm/hh?

Omg!!! I cant believe it sliped my mind :(
I need to contact him, I've been a little under the weather lately and everything's just been crazy I hope deta isn't too pissed. :( I can't believe it sliped my mind :(

ICE
December 7th, 2007, 02:28
I informed him of your mistake ;)
He didnt seem to upset and hopefully we'll reschedule.

lmtlmt
December 7th, 2007, 02:56
Well in my opinion the ps3 is just better than the wii and people are starting to realize it.

Napalm-Death
December 7th, 2007, 04:56
They just realized that the good games won't be on the Wii forever.

dejkirkby
December 7th, 2007, 07:56
Being an owner of both, I've had morejoy with the Wii than the PS3. Although I do believe the PS3 is in it for the long haul, whereas I consider the Wii to be quick fun right now.
With regards to the sales in Japan, I think it's hard to pin the reason why PS3 outsold Wii recently on any one factor. The amalgamation of a price cut, low Wii stock and other things that the PS3 has taken the lead.

Wally
December 7th, 2007, 11:01
Wiis are short in supply around the world, hence people running low on stock.. Shades, might pay to PM mikebeaver. He'll probably have one for you and should do a deal :)

PS3's arent... besides PS3 have a new technology "Blu-ray"

lmtlmt
December 7th, 2007, 11:25
HEY! Wally!!!!

Napalm-Death
December 7th, 2007, 15:30
Being an owner of both, I've had morejoy with the Wii than the PS3. Although I do believe the PS3 is in it for the long haul, whereas I consider the Wii to be quick fun right now.
With regards to the sales in Japan, I think it's hard to pin the reason why PS3 outsold Wii recently on any one factor. The amalgamation of a price cut, low Wii stock and other things that the PS3 has taken the lead.

This is offtopic, but accept my friend invite! :rofl:

JPJunkie
December 7th, 2007, 16:57
I really don't no which console to get

Should I get a Wii, 360 or PS3

dejkirkby
December 7th, 2007, 17:10
This is offtopic, but accept my friend invite! :rofl:
Will do!

ICE
December 7th, 2007, 17:20
They just realized that the good games won't be on the Wii forever.

Wii only has a handful of good games out right now so im not really sure that your point makes sense..
Plus I thought the good games were on 360 lol

Shrygue
December 7th, 2007, 20:16
PS3 outselling Wii in Japan huh? Well it did but the new figures for last weeks' hardware sales data, right here (http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/japanesse-hardwars-sales-october-26-2nd-december-81282.html), has just come in today and the Wii is back in second place on the list.

shadowprophet
December 7th, 2007, 22:37
:p
PS3 outselling Wii in Japan huh? Well it did but the new figures for last weeks' hardware sales data, right here (http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/japanesse-hardwars-sales-october-26-2nd-december-81282.html), has just come in today and the Wii is back in second place on the list.

I like these numbers much beter :thumbup:

Shrygue
December 7th, 2007, 23:20
I trust you must really like the Wii, yes?

quzar
December 7th, 2007, 23:43

I like number munchers too. I spent so much time playing that on my apple.

Napalm-Death
December 8th, 2007, 00:55
Wii only has a handful of good games out right now so im not really sure that your point makes sense..
Plus I thought the good games were on 360 lol

I just thought about it too, but oh well. Thanks for pointing that out. I guess that people just want the PS3 now because of the price reduction and games coming out next year?

dejkirkby
December 8th, 2007, 01:32

I can't understand why you are so affected by the sales figures. I hope you aren't using the sales figures to justify your choice, SP!

shadowprophet
December 8th, 2007, 04:47
I can't understand why you are so affected by the sales figures. I hope you aren't using the sales figures to justify your choice, SP!

you know, as a game collector. whenever we buy a new console it is an investment.
Not so much a monetary investment as a sliver of future hope. Like many of us here, I have been a game fan since I was a small child, For some it is a life long hobby. The number game isn't about popularity to me. No rather installed user base in a very logical way is a glimpse into the future for said console. Look into the past with me dej.
ever since the first console war the system with the largest install base got the greatest verity of content. like many of you I have been burnt before. With one console or another. I would invest my time interest and money only to have that console fail. and its not the money. But I have an addiction to video gaming. And like most people I don't want to have my shiny new consoles fail. because ultimately Its not just the money spent on the console one suffers its every penny. The games the accessories, all of it...

I know many here are dreamcast fans. But there is something you guys should know about me. I was the biggest dreamcast fan of them all. When sega just gave up. and walked away from the Dc. It was like a slap in the face to us gamers. It was worse then sega just throwing in the towel. It was like sega laughed at us all to rub salt in our wounds. I sold my dreamcast on the spot and swore off sega forever. Am I a sega hater?

save a few sega franchises, I would have to admit. I don't trust sega, Not because the dc failed. But because of what they did to the gamer.

Since those days. I've realized that my hobby my obsession is just a number game to hardware developers all around the world. I realize that Numbers should never effect someone's opinion of a console. But ultimately those sales figures mean a lot more across the board then just numbers. They effect third party interest. and to a greater extent. The income from those numbers also effect the development quality of first party software and accessories as well. I realize I'm a little critical at times about things that aren't such a big deal. But who really wants' another failure on their hands? who wants to spend time collecting and loving a console that is doomed to fade away? who wants a library of games that no one will care about? that will have no resell value?

I realize this is all twisted logic, that makes very little sense.

It's not about the money. It's not about the consoles or even the games really.
I've been burned before in this collectors game. But mark my words I'm keeping an eagles eye on every aspect of the market.
Shadow wont be burned a second time.

I like number munchers too. I spent so much time playing that on my apple.

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/7968/numbermunchersxr2.gif

Indeed brother Q:thumbup: I used to play number munchers all the time. in school when we did well on any of our exams we got to play the pc. in those days, we only had one pc per classroom. so all the kids had to compete to play. We had number munchers and some driving game. needless to say number munchers was way more fun :p

ICE
December 8th, 2007, 04:58
At this rate Wii may just be very PS2 like. PS2's install base was massive for its time and so is the Wii's and its only getting bigger.. rapidly.. I dont have to spell it out but large install base = large amounts of games. Hopefully some of them are good :P

shadowprophet
December 8th, 2007, 05:06
At this rate Wii may just be very PS2 like. PS2's install base was massive for its time and so is the Wii's and its only getting bigger.. rapidly.. I dont have to spell it out but large install base = large amounts of games. Hopefully some of them are good :P
I agree. But i worry about this casual phase nintendo is forcing on us, I mean if I wanted to play flash focus or brain age or cooking mama. i'd become an eagle scout, read a book, or bake a cake :rolleyes:

ICE
December 8th, 2007, 05:20
Well Metroid prime 3, Mario Galaxy, and Smash Bros Brawl seem to say Ninty hasnt forgotten us yet. There are some good signs in the 3rd party area as well with Medal of Honor Heroes 2, Zach and Wiki, and Bwii. I expect a crap load of Wii games with a good amount of both casual and "hardcore" games. Continued quality is my only concern.

pibs
December 8th, 2007, 05:27
I agree. But i worry about this casual phase nintendo is forcing on us, I mean if I wanted to play flash focus or brain age or cooking mama. i'd become an eagle scout, read a book, or bake a cake :rolleyes:

haha very true

Some DC ports would be pretty cool like:
JET SET RADIO
CHU CHU ROCKET
REZ

the new wii control seems suitable for these types of games.

shadowprophet
December 8th, 2007, 05:29
Well Metroid prime 3, Mario Galaxy, and Smash Bros Brawl seem to say Ninty hasnt forgotten us yet. There are some good signs in the 3rd party area as well with Medal of Honor Heroes 2, Zach and Wiki, and Bwii. I expect a crap load of Wii games with a good amount of both casual and "hardcore" games. Continued quality is my only concern.

I dont think that will be a problem. If nintendo has always got one thing right. Its been quality. Ive rarely ever seen the nintendo product that didn't Ooze quality *nods

haha very true

Some DC ports would be pretty cool like:
JET SET RADIO
CHU CHU ROCKET
REZ

the new wii control seems suitable for these types of games.
howya been pib! long time no see bro :) yeah Chu chu rocket. I was expecting that title a long time ago on the wii. It seem a perfect candidate for the nintendo universe *nods

pibs
December 8th, 2007, 05:44
Ive been good sp. I just read your thread, and it makes sense to me why you follow the sales numbers. One thing though, doesn't a console have to fail in all regions before being doomed? I was talking to an EB games employee yesterday about the wii and he told me that parents would bribe him with unspeakable things to sell them a wii... haha if people want it that bad I doubt it is going to fail anytime soon. btw thats here in the US land of the crazy parents!

shadowprophet
December 8th, 2007, 05:50
Ive been good sp. I just read your thread, and it makes sense to me why you follow the sales numbers. One thing though, doesn't a console have to fail in all regions before being doomed? I was talking to an EB games employee yesterday about the wii and he told me that parents would bribe him with unspeakable things to sell them a wii... haha if people want it that bad I doubt it is going to fail anytime soon. btw thats here in the US land of the crazy parents!
Lol i've also heard such stories. This is one of the reasons it defies explanation that the wii could be outsold in japan. As I understood it they are even bigger nity fans then us :confused:

pibs
December 8th, 2007, 05:58
Well if they made crazy Japanese games more often then we wouldn't be having this problem ever again. For example some pucca game or hamtaro haha isn't that whats big over there? or chibi street fighter turbo lol

shadowprophet
December 8th, 2007, 06:01
Well if they made crazy Japanese games more often then we wouldn't be having this problem ever again. For example some pucca game or hamtaro haha isn't that whats big over there? or chibi street fighter turbo lol
Or that ball rolling game,:rofl:
what was that, like Katamari or something:confused:

To all katamari fans, I'm sorry... no offence but it basicly is a game where you roll a ball around.. I just never connected with that game :rolleyes:

pibs
December 8th, 2007, 06:05
Or that ball rolling game,:rofl:
what was that, like Katamari or something:confused:

To all katamari fans, I'm sorry... no offence but it basicly is a game where you roll a ball around.. I just never connected with that game :rolleyes:

LOL yeah its coming to wii
http://news.filefront.com/beautiful-katamari-skips-ps3-goes-over-to-the-wii-darkside/

ha I like the title:
Beautiful Katamari Skips PS3 - Goes over to the Wii Darkside

shadowprophet
December 8th, 2007, 06:09
LOL yeah its coming to wii
http://news.filefront.com/beautiful-katamari-skips-ps3-goes-over-to-the-wii-darkside/

ha I like the title:
Beautiful Katamari Skips PS3 - Goes over to the Wii Darkside
well i'll be damned :rolleyes:
It really is coming to the wii :rofl:

dejkirkby
December 8th, 2007, 12:07
I kinda see what you are saying SP, but I don't particularly follow your train of thought. If you don't take a chance on things, you'll drown in boredom and mediocrity.
So you feel you have been burned by Sega dropping DC support? That's fine. But think about this...
Did you have any enjoyment from the DC?
Did you marvel at the looks of Resident Evil Code: Veronica?
Did you stare in awe at Shenmue's beauty?
And did you not drool at the sheer size of Phantasy Star Online?
If you said yes to any of those, then you must believe you got your moneys worth. Gaming has never been about the most popular console for true gaming freaks. It's about the games and the memories.
Remember that and why you fell in love with gaming in the first place.

lmtlmt
December 8th, 2007, 12:14
dej i still cant believe you joined after me but have more posts!

dejkirkby
December 8th, 2007, 12:40
Because you are a tight-ass typist and won't part with your wisdom??

quzar
December 8th, 2007, 12:43

He won't for long if you keep up this level of spam.

Also, I find it odd that people still think Nights was on the DC.

shadow: have you ever played Katamari? There's just this wonderful energy and mood to it. It's...fun.

bah
December 8th, 2007, 12:55
Why is the ps3 outselling the wii in japan?

.... too much Asahi??? :)

dejkirkby
December 8th, 2007, 13:11
He won't for long if you keep up this level of spam.

Also, I find it odd that people still think Nights was on the DC.

shadow: have you ever played Katamari? There's just this wonderful energy and mood to it. It's...fun.
Good call, my bad. I'll correct it.

JPJunkie
December 8th, 2007, 13:15
People what are your favorite Wii games?

I love Zelda

quzar
December 8th, 2007, 13:23
Good call, my bad. I'll correct it.

It wasn't JUST you, just so you know. In the past week I've seen two other sets of things where people pointed to Nights as an example of an excellent DC game.

yaustar
December 8th, 2007, 14:04
Reason: Ace Combat 6.
Seriously, that's it.

Edit: Whoops. That's the reason why the 360 is outselling the Wii at one point.

Reason for PS3: Price drop in Japan.