PDA

View Full Version : SEGA denies Dreamcast 2 rumour

Triv1um
December 7th, 2007, 13:15
Via Video Gamer (http://www.videogamer.com/
news/07-12-2007-7057.html)

US and UK office denies shock re-entry into the console market is in the works.

SEGA has denied the Dreamcast 2 is in the works, saying "We like our current strategy and have no plans to change in the middle of this outstanding growth."

We brought you the news yesterday that SEGA Corporation had filed a new application to protect the trademark Dreamcast - sparking rumours that the Japanese publisher was planning on making a shock return to the console manufacturing market with the Dreamcast 2.

www.Trademork.com, which discovered the filing, suggested that the proof was in the detail of the application - which talks about a floor mat and flash memory cards - accessories the original Dreamcast supposedly didn't have.

However, Sega of America PR Director Charlie Scibetta told US website www.GameDaily.com that SEGA "has no plans to get back into the console business," adding, "We're very happy being a platform agnostic company and have moved up the ranks the past three years from #11, to #9, and now stand at #6 in terms of our market share by units among third-party publishers. We like our current strategy and have no plans to change in the middle of this outstanding growth."

And when contacted by VideoGamer.com this morning, SEGA UK reiterated the position, issuing a flat "denial" that a follow up to the much-loved SEGA console was in the works.

Sad news for sure, but did we really believe it was going to happen? Really?

JKKDARK
December 7th, 2007, 13:24
But that's only UK and US, I think there would be a bigger chance on JP

Shadowblind
December 7th, 2007, 13:26
It was kinda obvious it never was gonna happen. Still, after growing up on Sega consoles....sigh. :(

Gold Line
December 7th, 2007, 13:50
i was never really a huge sega fan but it would be awesome if sega did make a return (and maybe the new sonic games might get better)

Dr._Zoidberg
December 7th, 2007, 14:00
Boo!

quzar
December 7th, 2007, 14:24
They would deny it regardless of their plans. SEGA is still working hard to distance themselves from the Dreamcast (at least SOA is, SOE seems to be doing something completely different if Dreamcast-Scene is any indication).

Elven6
December 7th, 2007, 15:47
Remember when Microsoft denied rumor's that their would be a 360 with HDMI? Or Sony, when they said their wouldn't be a remodelled PSP? Or Nintendo, when they said their new console would not have a new control system? Are you catching on yet?

ngin.small
December 7th, 2007, 21:27
Yeah I still dont belive them, like the person above my post said showing all of these things that get denied but than in the future they announce there "denied" things. Anyways Sega didnt say anything about the floormats or anything at all for that matter about the whole thing. I think that they are making the Dreamcast 2 gut there not going to say anything for quite some time. Kinda like Microsoft did with the Elite, when peter moore was asked about what the Zypher (which is what the elite was called orignally) he denied it so yeah I dont believe them for a minuite.

Cast128dreams
December 7th, 2007, 23:25
Hmmm well maybe this rumour is true.
Sega has to do alot of unfinshed buisness like a third party wouldnt be silly to anounce new Dreamcast projects in these days.

In Jp the posibilties are more.

MrTeressaBond
December 7th, 2007, 23:38
i think we all need to march up to thema dn really conince them and say 'hey, we fans really really think u should bring a new console out, as YOU can easily fit into the market as it is in now.'

WhizzBang
December 8th, 2007, 00:36
I think it would be suicidal for Sega to try to re-enter the console market now. They have only ever managed to challenge nintendo in the late 80's/early 90's but would have no chance against the might of Microsoft, Sony and the shrewd product positioning of Nintendo.

Dreamcastboy
December 8th, 2007, 11:49
I really want a new Sega console!. I love my DC and still play it, but if i had the choice i'd love a new Sega console with updated games.

dcfan1
December 8th, 2007, 13:25
They should re-release the dreamcast as a handheld ad re-release all the best games...

Dreamcastboy
December 8th, 2007, 15:32
There was a hoax last year saying that sega were releasing a handheld console called the sega hedgehog or something. Turned out to be an april fools joke from a french website.

Cast128dreams
December 9th, 2007, 00:42
I think it would be suicidal for Sega to try to re-enter the console market now. They have only ever managed to challenge nintendo in the late 80's/early 90's but would have no chance against the might of Microsoft, Sony and the shrewd product positioning of Nintendo.

No we are not at the 80s we are living in 2007.
A lot are different.
If sega will make a new cosole,it will sure be a Tech monster.
Thats for sure.
The only problem that matters is the support of the Video game studios and development.

Blandco
December 10th, 2007, 15:16
Sega, it's my fault...

...I always just assume that you might do something nice like you used to...

...It's not my fault that you never do.

...It's my fault that I expect to wake up in 1999 again.

...It's my fault for having hope.

*cry*

Really though a new console (or even a remake of some sort) would kick ass. I have no desire to buy any of the new consoles at all.

ron
December 10th, 2007, 15:32
In my opinion, beyond that development studies are not ready to be developed for a fourth console, Sega currently has no capacity to manufacture new hardware.

Another way should be licensing, why not !

Regards

Cast128dreams
December 11th, 2007, 00:32
I have no desire to buy any of the new consoles at all.(Blandco)

Buy one Just for Sega games!!!!