PDA

View Full Version : Playstation Emulator for iPhone and Ipod Touch News

wraggster
December 9th, 2007, 21:05
Zodttd (http://zodttd.com/) has posted some fantastic news for fans of Emulation on the Apple iPhone and iPod Touch.

He is now working on a Playstation Emulator for the iPhone/iPod Touch and has posted these 2 screenshots:

http://zodttd.com/images/snap_033050.jpg

http://zodttd.com/images/snap_033252.jpg

Heres all the news about the work on this emulator:

These images won't reflect how the release will look. Also ignore the data in the debug information at the top, as it's not accurate.

What can you look forward to in the first release of psx4iphone? Depends on how the beta testing goes. I will be working on the existing dynarec (cpu emulation) quite a lot to improve performance as it will be required. The screen scaling and screen placement will be drastically improved over the above images. Memory card support will work, and save states might work. Sound will be implemented as well. The interface/gui will be very similar to gpSPhone's just with 4 hard buttons instead of just A+B, and L2 and R2 buttons. A rough estimate would be about 75% of games will be compatible. With such a large library of games, this may or may not include your favorite game. Performance will have to be increased about 25% to get a good portion of games running smoothly. This can be done.

I will be contacting those who donated to me (for gpSPhone and psx4iphone) when a beta of psx4iphone (also works on iPod Touch) is available. If there's a large amount of beta testers and the demand is there, it could be within a matter of days.

Heres also the first article to inform you totally of whats going on:

Work has begun on two projects involving emulating Playstation 1 (PS1) games on the iPhone, iTouch, and GP2X. I am involved with both projects, and will outline both.

psx4all - This project has a lot of time and work placed into it. It is already a featured emulator within the GP2X community. The GP2X is a great handheld for homebrew gaming, and I proudly display the gp2x-store banner ad above. psx4all is already ready to go, and I have it compiled for the iPhone already. This is the quickest way to get Playstation on the iPhone for me. It's a complete emulator with sound, compressed ISO support, fairly fast, memory card support, and save states.

yapse4all - This project is currently a "work in progress". It has a lot of potential. It's code is clean and efficient, and written completely from the ground up for handhelds and dynamic recompilation. This project will take longer to complete than psx4all, but will have better performance in the long run. I am looking forward to help push yapse4all forward.

So in short, psx4all can bring PS1 emulation to the iPhone/iTouch while yapse4all is being developed alongside. :)

A lot of code in psx4all needs to be ripped out and redone, and I am able to produce a much nicer dynamic recompiler over my current one for this emulator to speed up performance. Other psx4all platforms will benefit from this and yapse as well. :)

Hold on tight, playstation emulation is on its way.

JKKDARK
December 9th, 2007, 21:24
wow good job!! :) And it's already getting 10 FPS, good luck with the project. We are waiting :D

Man
December 10th, 2007, 00:35
THIS IS AWSOME !! i remember in your first news post when you mentioned that PSX emulation was possible, i was sooooo happy, i cant wait to play FF7 on my Ipod !!!