PDA

View Full Version : Gentoox - now 50% quieter

wraggster
July 23rd, 2005, 09:23
I've done some testing and it seems that if your Xbox is in a large enough room with good air circulation then a fan speed of 10% is sufficient! I've updated the monitors package (which contains fanctl) to feature a "quiet" mode that can be activated by adding the -q/--quiet switch. When this is enabled the fan speed floor is lowered to 10% rather than the default 20%. This mode can also be enabled at startup in /etc/conf.d/fanctl by changing "QUIET=0" to "QUIET=1".

If your system usually has the fan speed higher than 20% then quiet mode is NOT for you and, though it is unlikely, may cause your Xbox to overheat. Remember that these tools come with no warranty and while I have tested them as thoroughly as I can, I cannot be held responsible for any damage they may cause.
Go run magic to update.
http://gentoox.shallax.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=451

Cap'n 1time
July 23rd, 2005, 14:47
Ive been running it a bit quieter with.. somthing.. not sure what it was. anyways I suggest you just let the fan do its thing by default. I dont really like gentooX. I totally customized my Damn Small Linux (DSL) distro as it seems to be oodles faster, even when I compiled KDE and ran (which i dont like) on it.