PDA

View Full Version : PS3 to catch Wii... by 2011

Shrygue
December 10th, 2007, 18:09
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=177283)

Sony's PS3 might be struggling to out-punch rivals Wii and Xbox 360 on shop shelves currently, but the next four years will see it biting Wii's heels.

A Screen Digest (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/viewer.php?mode=article&id=188883) analysis of console trends has the ridiculously popular Wii out top by 2011 with around 75 million units worldwide, but it puts PS3 in a very, very close second place.

Xbox 360 by the same year, meanwhile, will have a 40 million worldwide unit penetration, leaving it looking longingly at rivals.

Wii is proving so popular this Christmas that Nintendo has reportedly been moved to pull adverts for the console and will replace them with ones for DS instead.

We'll see you back here in 2010 then to see who's right.

geise69
December 10th, 2007, 19:01
and by then no one will care because 8th generation consoles will start to be developed or released by others.

eatnooM
December 10th, 2007, 19:16
worldwide unit penetration

Heheheh.

Anyway, speaking of 8th gen, I can't help but wonder what Nintendo will pull out of their hat for their next console, as surely the Wii would be a toughie to follow.

John Vattic
December 10th, 2007, 19:29
Wii is phail compared to ps3.

And yes if they sell a billion units it's still phail.

Good art is not measured by sales. but by eventual appreciation for the past. So yes sony pwns wii.

wii pong. good friggn' grief. wiimote vs. virtualboy nester's funky bo-wiing

JKKDARK
December 10th, 2007, 19:51
mmm maybe by 2011... PS3 will catch the actual Wii sales :rofl:

geise69
December 10th, 2007, 21:10
Wii is phail compared to ps3.

Good art is not measured by sales. but by eventual appreciation for the past. So yes sony pwns wii.

Just because something is low poly doesn't mean it can't be "art" or is less difficult to create. In some respects it can be more difficult. You have certain constraints that you have to think about. To me pulling something off that looks great on a lower end system is more rewarding than a system that makes it easier to pull off better eye candy or "art" if you prefer. I do low poly modeling for a living and all the detail is in the textures to cheat for not being able to have as many faces/polys.

Uberman
December 10th, 2007, 22:18
This post was just too funny. And I'm sure Nintendo and Microsoft are laughing too, all the way to the bank. :rofl:

Shadowblind
December 10th, 2007, 22:21
mmm maybe by 2011... PS3 will catch the actual Wii sales :rofl:

Doubt it.

Accordion
December 10th, 2007, 22:43
Just because something is low poly doesn't mean it can't be "art" or is less difficult to create. In some respects it can be more difficult. You have certain constraints that you have to think about. To me pulling something off that looks great on a lower end system is more rewarding than a system that makes it easier to pull off better eye candy or "art" if you prefer. I do low poly modeling for a living and all the detail is in the textures to cheat for not being able to have as many faces/polys.

I doubt he means the graphics. Good art is measured by substance, which with Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, and upcoming Everyday shooter, and Little big Planet, SCE has delivered.

As to the topic, i doubt the PS3 will catchup, but it is still a great machine for both its gaming and media capabilities. To the consumer the quality of the product not its sales is what should be important, and regardless of if the PS3 is a success the amazing developers studios that form SCE will continue making great games. Whether on a Sony console or not.

ICE
December 10th, 2007, 23:07
Do they mean that by 2011 ps3 will catch Wii's current sales? That seems about right ;)

urherenow
December 11th, 2007, 00:01
by then the next Nintendo console will be on the shelves...

"but by eventual appreciation for the past. So yes sony pwns wii."

what the hell are you talking about? Whatever it is, it didn't come out right... if you want to talk about the past... the Wii was 100% compatible with GC titles right out of the box... something sony is still too stupid to manage. And for virtual console titles... not only are all previous Nintendo systems supported, but also the TurboGraphix, SMS, Genesis, etc...

and the way game makers have embraced (and successfully and intuitively pulled of using) the new controls ...

sorry bud... but Nintendo has had the formula for success since it jumped on the home gaming scene in the 80s. Sony is still a baby and it shows. The only thing they can do is put a dent in your wallet and make idiots who don't understand what gaming is about "ohhh" and "ahhh" over the purdy pictures

I will, however submit that I am quite satisfied with the PSP. They did a pretty good job with it.

motorna_testera
December 11th, 2007, 00:06
ok uncle Sam locked my thread so i'm taking this one!!!!
(it was first in "new posts", nothing personal)

u are all my hostages!!!

long live http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81187
love u guys...

osgeld
December 11th, 2007, 04:15
and by then no one will care because 8th generation consoles will start to be developed or released by others.

yea i was thinking that, nintendo on home console is clockwork, 5 years so they should be releasing the Pii (or whatever) before then

Trekster
December 11th, 2007, 04:24
the 360 is the best overall for the price.
The Wii is a novelty and pales in comparison to the 360 and Ps3.
MS and Sony will most likely come out with a device that allows for similar controls that you get with the Wii but with true next gen graphics.

souLLy
December 11th, 2007, 09:56
This doesn't appear to be based on anything but speculation, here's what we see if we follow the trends that are ACTUALLY happening right now:

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/8035/trendxy4.jpg

We can all make up nonsense as we go along, heck in 2035 the human race won't exist. Prove me wrong. Sheesh.

motorna_testera
December 11th, 2007, 12:01
u didnt noticed that this thread isn't yours anymore?
i have confiscate it
stop doing that conversation and lets talk about nothing :D

ab88
December 11th, 2007, 12:40
u didnt noticed that this thread isn't yours anymore?
i have confiscate it
stop doing that conversation and lets talk about nothing :D

We are talking about nothing, the sales of the PS3 and the Wii's in stock that is.

Triv1um
December 11th, 2007, 15:36
2011?!!!!!!

The Wii will be dead by then, maybe even a new console from nintendo.

ish420ism
December 11th, 2007, 18:15
Good One. I agree.
Besides, by that time, i'll have a super upgraded comp. to emulate the wii

ICE
December 11th, 2007, 18:41
Thats just 4 years people.. The life cycle of most consoles are longer than that.... The only console that might not be here is the 360.

JPJunkie
December 12th, 2007, 13:58
I reckon the PS1 will be back by then!!!

JKKDARK
December 12th, 2007, 14:12
but also the TurboGraphix, SMS, Genesis, etc...

Well not this one sadly ;)

sappo
December 12th, 2007, 14:34
Wii For the Wiin!