PDA

View Full Version : New details on "aggressive" Street Fighter 4

Shrygue
December 11th, 2007, 18:08
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=177350)

"...now you'll finally see guys wincing in pain and cheeks being deformed by fists in real-time", says Street Fighter 4 producer Yoshinori Ono of Capcom's beat-'em-up sequel. Oh yeah, we like the sound of that!

"I hope that we can include some sort of visible reactions from the characters based on how much damage they receive when they are hit", Ono has added in an article featuring in EGM.

"We'd like to add details such as if a character gets hit in the shoulder multiple times, perhaps his shoulder hangs a little lower, or perhaps his animations are affected".

SF4's producer says that Capcom wants it to feel like a homecoming for fans of the series, and to this end promises that the first time we play the game, we'll be able to pull off the signature moves we remember "without thinking too deeply".

One of the goals for the sequel has been to make it more aggressive, and so it'll be more about attacking and less about defending, Ono explains.

However, he says that the decision to stick with 2D for Street Fighter 4 was deliberate because Capcom wanted "to preserve the strategic nature of SF2 and SF3, where matches unfold almost like a chess game."

A key strategic feature is Saving moves, which in a nutshell allows players to 'store' up points - or segments on a bar - and use these for temporary powerful boosts in combat and to cancel and feint.

Apparently the game already runs at a smooth 60 frames per second, and in terms of Street Fighter time frame is set between Super Street Fighter II Turbo and Street Fighter III. The plan is to get as many of the original SF2 characters into the game as possible.

Ono adds that online play for Street Fighter 4 is an "absolute necessity" and explains that post-release downloadable content is very much under consideration.

And he also has interesting stuff to say about the differing art styles of the Street Fighter 4 teaser trailer and the actual game.

"We're aiming for an art style that looks like moving paintings rather than a hyper-realistic look", he told EGM.

"But I'm not terribly worried about users being disappointed that the final game doesn't look like the teaser trailer... We do feel that if we made a fighting game entirely in the style of the teaser, it might be too impractical and too hard to play."

Capcom still has yet to confirm platforms for Street Fighter 4, and Ono has said it may not be till 2009/10 that we see it.

geise69
December 12th, 2007, 12:54
This sounds like it's going to be a really good sequel. I'm sure they are talking just arcade atm, which kinda sucks. Arcades here in the states are non existent anymore. I have an arcade at the mall and the newest game is a damn DDR game. Everything else is from 94-2000 at the latest. I hope a home version isn't too far behind the arcade. Hopefully it will be easy to port to home consoles as well.

JKKDARK
December 12th, 2007, 13:55
It's good to see they didn't move to 3D in the main serie :)