PDA

View Full Version : uClinux Version 2.6.22-uc1 For PSP

wraggster
December 11th, 2007, 20:06
M.Jackson has posted a great release for fans of Linux, he has ported UCLinux to the PSP, heres the details:

Hi everyone. I have recently ported another uClinux of version 2.6.22-uc1 onto PSP. On top of the serial driver and the framebuffer driver, there is a new joypad driver enabling apps to read input from PSP buttons, and the a block device driver allowing linux users to access the Memory Stick in linux. And I have established a website for it: http://jacksonm88.googlepages.com/linuxonpsp.htm

Thanks to everyone who have offered me help on this.

Download Here (http://jacksonm88.googlepages.com/uClinux.zip)and Give Feedback Via Comments

NoQuarter
December 11th, 2007, 21:07
I just peed myself a little, HELLL YEAH! 2.6. kernel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can see what kinda crack I'm gonna smoke all night, damn I just got online too.

Great job dude,I've been waiting as I'm sure others have too :)

Edit: the original link has exceeded it's bandwidth here's couple more:

http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/a94c114520_0.9MB

http://sklep.vivexpol.pl/uclinux/uClinux.zip

Buddy4point0
December 11th, 2007, 21:12
VERY cool!
nice coding man, i remember a long time ago some people were working on linux with psp.
this looks good and i cant wait to see how far this goes

NoQuarter
December 11th, 2007, 21:44
I just tried it out, very happy!
It has vi included,only thing I wasn't happy about was that the onscreen keyboard uses the dpad.I'm gonna look around and see if I can change that.Hopefully we'll be able to install programs easily one day.

E.J.
December 11th, 2007, 21:51
Hell Yeah!, FINALLY! Linux on PSP (not being a POC...), the penguin is unstoppable!

BTW, Is this project related to PSPLinux from Chris Mulhearn?

NoQuarter
December 11th, 2007, 21:54
I looked at his site and it appears that he has a prebuit toolchain for redhat 9...
Might not be so bad to compile apps,I need wifi and links!
Edit:Oops,that was pretty dumb of me,thinking I could use pikey.I wasn't really thinking.

IM back!
December 11th, 2007, 22:15
I looked at his site and it appears that he has a prebuit toolchain for redhat 9...
Might not be so bad to compile apps,I need wifi and links!
I also tried the targus universal,no go but I'm gonna try pikey with it.

that wont work this is a diferent os. sonys os is nolonger loaded so no pikey.

DPyro
December 11th, 2007, 22:22
That is very dumb that it doesn't use the nub....I can't press the letters in the corners and therefor this app is useless.

EDIT: My dpad is messed up, but I finally figured out how to get it working....I think this could turn into something good. Needs more programs installed first. Very limited at what you can do...no cal, time, uptime commands etc. :(

EDIT2: Wow, it doesn't even have the init command so I can't shut it down :|

E.J.
December 11th, 2007, 23:05
I think this is a great advance, bringin linux to the psp has been a real pain in the ass, with many little issues that could have made the most patient one become desperate...

Still i'm very happy to have a 2.6.x kernel, a Framebuffer driver, A-Block support and serial IO to mess with.

Let's hope more skilled people get interested in this Linux port.

NoQuarter
December 11th, 2007, 23:16
$n!pR,reboot actually shut it down for me,lol.
I think I'm gonna spend the night trying to install the toolchain instead of playing tekken,I need more programs.
EDIT:maybe not, the links on his website are broken

I'm not really familiar with vi,I usually use nano but when I hit control C I can't exit.

djakku
December 12th, 2007, 00:16
to quit in vi press
:q!

NoQuarter
December 12th, 2007, 02:50
Thanks, but how do I press that with the onscreen?

DPyro
December 12th, 2007, 03:36
The links on his site are not links....their graphics :rolleyes:

quzar
December 12th, 2007, 04:34
That is very dumb that it doesn't use the nub....I can't press the letters in the corners and therefor this app is useless.

EDIT: My dpad is messed up, but I finally figured out how to get it working....I think this could turn into something good. Needs more programs installed first. Very limited at what you can do...no cal, time, uptime commands etc. :(

EDIT2: Wow, it doesn't even have the init command so I can't shut it down :|

Do you understand what linux is? This isn't an application, it's an operating system. You can't turn off windows without in part shutting down the machine, how should this be any different?

The links on his site are not links....they're graphics :rolleyes:

DarthPaul
December 12th, 2007, 11:13
Do you understand what linux is? This isn't an application, it's an operating system. You can't turn off windows without in part shutting down the machine, how should this be any different?

Do you understand what a port is? This is a port, not a full Operating System[OS]. And you run this OS through a loader, which is some kind of application. You're not running this the same way you run it on a PC, or are you?

quzar
December 12th, 2007, 12:43
Do you understand what a port is? This is a port, not a full Operating System[OS]. And you run this OS through a loader, which is some kind of application. You're not running this the same way you run it on a PC, or are you?

Do I understand what a port is? (http://www.screamcast.net/html/) This is run exactly how it is on a PC. Look up what a bootloader is. Just because you run it the same way you would an application, does not mean that it is one. What is deceiving you is that in general practice you do not do anything prior to loading the OS. Everything that you do on your PSP without loading an application is merely an extension to it's firmware (an extension to it's bios+kernel).

While it is probably possible to make it hook in and allow for a soft exit, that does not change the fact that this IS an Operating System. I really think that you don't understand what a port is, if you think that porting an OS can mean turning it into an application.

Raziel-chan
December 12th, 2007, 12:45
From what I've gathered, it won't work on psp slim... Am I right?

cya
Raziel-chan

domthegod
December 12th, 2007, 14:42
woooot a linux port fuk ye well good work man

DPyro
December 12th, 2007, 15:09
Wow Quzar, stop being so anal. So I said app instead of OS, big whoop. In a sense it is an app for the PSP as you select it from the game menu. What I was talking about with the init is that I had to do a hard shutdown in order to turn my PSP off. You also can't restart the OS either :|

quzar
December 12th, 2007, 15:20
Wow Quzar, stop being so anal. So I said app instead of OS, big whoop. In a sense it is an app for the PSP as you select it from the game menu. What I was talking about with the init is that I had to do a hard shutdown in order to turn my PSP off. You also can't restart the OS either :|

I know what you meant. I was pointing out that being an OS, and not an app, that makes sense. Based on DarthPaul's response it just seems that people don't understand the difference.

Cloudhunter
December 12th, 2007, 16:09
From what I've gathered, it won't work on psp slim... Am I right?

cya
Raziel-chan

That is correct. The bootloader runs on the 1.50 kernel at the moment.

Cloudy

DarthPaul
December 12th, 2007, 19:55
Lol stop being so anal! :rofl: That was funny... anyways..

I know what you meant. I was pointing out that being an OS, and not an app, that makes sense. Based on DarthPaul's response it just seems that people don't understand the difference.

Dude, I'm not really sure. I haven't downloaded this yet. But from what I can see, this is an application which loads an Operating System. Like emulating the Operating System with an application. So yeah... stop being so anal. :thumbup:

quzar
December 12th, 2007, 20:06
But from what I can see, this is an application which loads an Operating System. Like emulating the Operating System with an application.

That's now what it is though. It's an OS. Period.

woop
December 13th, 2007, 02:42
What can we currently run on this? maybe when it gets even better (say wifi) some one could port airsnort XD.

NeverCast
October 17th, 2008, 08:18
Am I right in saying, that you boot into the XMB, Select the PSPBootloader from the XMB Game Menu. The Code path then kills the XMB, and Starts the PSPBoot loader. This In turn sets up the Distro and Boots Linux Kernel.

The Kernel is running, No XMB, No Game like Application. The XMB has started the actully UCLinux Kernel.

Great.. One last question, anyone got a download for this, I don't really want to install Linux on my PSP to compile the source. Not for awhile, I just want to run the Kernel lol. And I am in no way gonna try and compile it in Windows.

So yeah, Please does anyone have download links to the Pre Built Kernel, Or any of those other files I need that have been removed from the Wares Site.

Edit: It's wrong to say it's a Distro isn't it. It so isn't, Is it?