PDA

View Full Version : map of Seoul (S.Korea) questions.

mehmetcan
December 13th, 2007, 16:19
unfortunately, Google doesn't have Seoul (Korea) Road Map.
instead it has a "limited" satellite view.

now I'm living in Seoul as a student.
I have done 2 maps of my area by using GMDL,
but they are terrible.

for some reason, I can ot download maps,
I think google bans my IP after I get some maps
(usually happens between 300-700 pieces)
or maybe some zoom levels are not available on every part of that zone.

I dont need "address finding" option.
All I need is standart map (satellite or street) for Seoul.

the 2 other maps which I tried to create looks not good and cant apply enough zoom.

Ok, I know it's not very common, but.
Please share any Korean(especially full Seoul) map with me if any available.

Nieko
December 13th, 2007, 16:39
In most cases it's not legal to share maps.

Google blocks you temporarily when downloading satellite imagery.

You can try other map providers, Live Maps e.g. There's a whole bunch in GMDL :).

mehmetcan
December 13th, 2007, 16:51
ok, I understand that I shouldn't ask for maps. Thank you.

if I wait for a long time. (while GMDL is blocked by google) is it possible to continue downloading ?

some locations has no max zoom level, but some have max zoom. it says "no maps for this zoom level" on google maps. if I select a map wich have max zoom supported areas and not supported areas at the same time will it cause a problem ? If I see same error meggase (as an image file) in my map it's ok. I dont need max zoom for everyplace but middle zoom for some ares are enough. but all should be in same Map folder.
(sorry for my bad English, I tried to write fast, and I really want to learn :))

Nieko
December 13th, 2007, 17:38
I'm not quite sure how long the block lasts, but you could try setting a delay of 2 seconds or so (after pressing the Advanced button). Hopefully Google won't block you so quickly then.

I don't think having parts of the map which are not available at max zoom is a problem. You get the same effect by deselecting them in the 8x8 grid when you press "Get tiles".

mehmetcan
December 13th, 2007, 17:42
ohh !

that delay in advanced settigns...
I'm going to do that right now :)

thx again.

zerodays
December 14th, 2007, 04:11
mehmetcan, if you are living in Seoul, you'd better just buy GPS device designed for Korea, they are million times better.
Esp in seoul, where everything is so complxed and complicated roads (with shops,etc). You are much better off purchasing the actual GPS device.
(I assume you can read and understand korean fine?)

mehmetcan
December 14th, 2007, 09:52
yes, I have seen hundreds of gps models (for cars) in electronic markets. But there is no handheld model. Their handphones have some kind of subway map option but I'm not very sure. My phone doesn't have that kind of option.

In Korea you have to make registration for eveything. And if you're foreigner, they always block your way. I lived here for 1.5 years, and I couldn't create on-line game account even I had Korean ID. without any reason. ^^ so here is a little bit interesting for that kind of things.

my days are limited in Korea. Soon I will return back to my country, but for my last monts, I would like to enjoy with my PSP and GPS together. I want to visit temples, palacaes.... the places which I couldn't visit because of my hard school days.

so far, I couldn't manage to create a useful map.

this is the reason of my tryings.

(my Korean is not good, just, I can make daily conversations.. survival Korean...)

Nieko
December 14th, 2007, 10:34
Have you tried other map sources? Live Maps covers South Korea to quite some extent.

mehmetcan
December 14th, 2007, 10:43
I tried every Map Source Which is available on the left side of GMDT.

Google, Microsoft VirtualEarth, USGS T.

but what is livemaps ?
do I miss something ?

btw, there is a Huge readme file for Mapthis.
but I couldn't find GMDT specific readme.
still I can't figure out lots of things in it. aspecially advanced settings, mapcruncher etc.
EDIT:I learned that, mapcruncher is another software which is not a part of GMDT,
maybe GMDT uses outputs of mapcruncher. these will take some time for me to learn

now I'm reading all the Mapthis manual from the beginning at wikibooks again. maybe I'm mising stg.

Nieko
December 14th, 2007, 12:46
You can access Live Maps (using Internet Explorer...) at http://maps.live.com/. I'm not sure if it's also called that in GMDL.

I'm currently working on the Map This! wikibook, but there's still a lot of other information too, particularly about GMDL at the bottom.

mehmetcan
December 14th, 2007, 13:22
hmm.
I know this, it's available in GMDL
Goole maps are better (for seoul)
I made a good map pack for around my house ^^
Google still blocks me if I try to make a big map pack.

is it possible to "HEAL" previous trys ?

for example if there are 2000 pieces of map which I have to get(tiles) but because of google ban I can get only 200. and then error messages keeps coming. I have to close program (ctrl+alt+del).

next time can I continue ?
if so, it's excellent !!!
I'm patient. I can wait 2-3 days to complete full map.

if its possible ? how can I ?

zerodays
December 14th, 2007, 17:50
mehmetcan, hm,, don't download hybrid or any, just use the default selected ones, those maps never gets banned. I've downloaded like GBs of whole New Zealand :). haha I know, korea is pretty cool huh ? I quite like it (as I'm originally from there).

mehmetcan
December 14th, 2007, 18:08
Ahh I see.
I use SATELLITE views...
maybe because of that reason it bans me >.<
but there is no road map.

actually I want to create a nice road map.
you know, read estate's have local maps.
if only I can get those(as image file)
and if I can find some coverter to use them.

ok, these are sweet dreams ^^ I know.

(yes, I like Korea too, this is why I live here 1.5 years and still I'm trying to stay more... unfortunately getting visa became harder... as I have no Korean wife... and all of my Korean friends who I met and lived together in Canada forget me for some reason in Korea...)

zerodays
December 16th, 2007, 10:36
ok, so how you getting on with hybrid view? Did you manage to download them all ?
I cannot think of way to download hybrid fully, too.

I am now currently download entire map of NZ, about 10GB (from MS, not google). But this is approximate, would be likely about 4GB. and processes are slow, 4% a day. !!

mehmetcan
December 16th, 2007, 15:08
zerodays,

today I went to Technomart,
and as you said I checked the GPS devices again.
and you know what ? I find a handheld model !!! no need car antenna !!! and you can watch Korean TV channels.

shopkeeper said, it's LG, and it was 250.000 Won, so I couldn't buy it.

but yes, as correction I have to say that. There are handheld GPS's around.

I would like to have one >.<
and it looks x10 times better than my maps >.<

about Korea Map download,
no I couldn't download the maps. Probably Google set some security for them (for satellite images.) My friend told me that, he downloaded these maps before, without any problem. Then this should be a new problem.

But I download the full Turkish Map (Road map) without any problem. So this problem is only Satellite view problem.

take care & have fun