PDA

View Full Version : DivX on PS3 Confirmed!

S34MU5
December 13th, 2007, 16:25
Via DivX (http://www.divx.com/company/press/press_detail.php?pr_id=272)

Today I got an email from DivX
The monthly email.

The title was "DivX Connected, PS3 and Sansa TakeTV"
Usually I don't really read these but when I saw PS3 I took a look. There it was:

"DivX, Coming to a Gaming Console Near You

You may have heard the news about PlayStation 3 support for DivX video. Well, pop the bubbly because it's true. We have indeed made a deal with Sony to add DivX video playback to their popular PS3 gaming console."

I think this great as i often download amazing quality DivX clips and prefer it to mp4. The widely used format will be a one up on the Xbox360. PS3 users - gloat away.

S34MU5

Baboon
December 13th, 2007, 19:01
I think this great as i often download amazing quality DivX clips and prefer it to mp4. The widely used format will be a one up on the Xbox360. PS3 users - gloat away.

S34MU5

er? ....Divx is already supported on the xbox 360!

So gloat away! :rofl:

goity
December 13th, 2007, 20:27
Lol... the 360 got their first. However, PS3 is still clearly the better media player.

DPyro
December 13th, 2007, 20:50
As far as I understand, the 360 only allows you to stream your divx files to the console, not actually play them locally. Hopefully the new feature for PS3 is released really soon :)

Napalm-Death
December 14th, 2007, 05:29
It could be on the next firmware update! :D

S34MU5
December 14th, 2007, 18:31
I hope you all know where I was coming from on the PS3/360 thing.

Streaming is gay.

F9zDark
December 14th, 2007, 21:58
I hope you all know where I was coming from on the PS3/360 thing.

Streaming is gay.

I knew what you were saying. From what I read, the PS3 will be Divx Certified, meaning it will play Divx movies from all types of media (CDs, DVDs, Blu-Rays, Memory Sticks, Compact Flash, etc as well as from the HDD). Considering the PS3 supports Media Servers, it will probably be able to have Divx files streamed to it as well.

However, this is just what I heard, it could be wrong (Divx being only playable on the HDD). But I don't think Sony would just stop there.

crossa
December 14th, 2007, 22:05
Dont normally put any imput in but thought i might for a change lol

regarding the 360 with the new updates it supports divx through streaming from media player 11 direct from cd and from usb HD plugged into the console :D

DPyro
December 14th, 2007, 22:46
I just heard, they may use DivX in future PS3 games for faster loading of movies as well as less load on the CPU.