PDA

View Full Version : NPD study finds 63% of US play videogames

Shrygue
December 13th, 2007, 18:10
via Games Industry
(http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=31491)

According to an NPD Group study, 63 per cent of the US population plays videogames.

The report, entitled Expanding the Games Market, found that the "heaviest" gamers are males ages 18-34.

Of the people who said they played videogames, 30 per cent claimed to have played more frequently this year than last, with 40 per cent spending about the same amount of time playing games each year.

The majority of gamers claimed that they saw playing videogames as a way to relieve stress. Both "light" and "heavy" gamers valued gaming as a family activity.

As far as casual gamers are concerned, the NPD study found that this group is made up of people on the upper and lower ends of the age spectrum and include a high representation of females.

"The new type of game experiences brought to the market over the past several years are succeeding in reaching a broader audience," said NPD analyst Anita Frazier.

"The challenge for the industry is that consumers are a fickle group, and with the great variety of options pulling at their limited free time, they're going to be easily distracted unless something really compels them to stay with gaming."

JKKDARK
December 13th, 2007, 20:04
it's entertainment, who can't enjoy video games? Only the people who still never played.

Shadowblind
December 13th, 2007, 20:06
As far as I know in my hometown, the only people I know who don't play video games are old people, middle-aged women and teachers. I still think it may be a bit bigger then 63%....

Veskgar
December 13th, 2007, 20:47
I don't see the big revelation here or news. Its like doing a study on how many people in a given country watch movies or TV. Its a way of life. I'm sorry, but we are not going back to playing marbles and ring toss unless some stupid country tries to provoke a nuclear world war.

I'd strongly argue that playing video games is more productive than what people who don't play video games do. Which is watch TV for many hours per day.

The amount of interaction and sophistication in today's games incites far more brain activity than watching 'Deal, or No Deal?' on TV LOL

And when I'm playing brain training games on my DS Lite, its just as stimulating if not more than doing crossword or other word puzzles.

The only thing better than video games are some board games due to the social interaction. And good old-fashioned reading of course.

DarthPaul
December 14th, 2007, 02:06
Video gaming is the new era. Technology for all of us.

I remember me, when I was a kid, playing with my Marvel action figures. With my dinosaurs, with the soldiers... Fighting the figures, moving them all around. I remember those commercials, where they put those kids in a cool background playing Max Steel.

Example:
http://www.toyslandia.com/catalog/images/K0909_s_06_m1_h_cmyk.jpg

And then, after watching those commercials I was so excited. Wishing to play in a place like that. But no, I played at my home, in my messy room. And I was like "blah... f*** this, I want to play in a place like that."

But now, the video games are here! With that technology that let's you live that game. With the great scenario, fighting super heroes, using and controlling dinosaurs, actually shooting other soldiers, all I ever wished!