PDA

View Full Version : Sega Confirms Trademark for 'Potential Future Use' of Dreamcast

JKKDARK
December 13th, 2007, 21:43
via GameDaily (http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/sega-confirms-trademark-for-potential-future-use-of-dreamcast/18850/?biz=1)

Last week, a newly updated Dreamcast trademark sparked rumors across the Internet that Sega might be looking at possibly creating a Dreamcast 2. At the time, Sega of America PR Director Charlie Scibetta immediately told GameDaily BIZ that Sega "has no plans to get back into the console business."

Today we received a new statement that explains in part why Sega actually updated the trademark. "SEGA has no plans to get back into the hardware business, but we also want to protect our past and current brands. The trademark application was filed to protect our current and potential future use of the word DREAMCAST and to prevent other parties from using it in a way that could be confused or linked with SEGA," Scibetta said.

While Sega has made no explicit comments regarding further digital distribution of Dreamcast titles, certain Dreamcast games have already appeared on GameTap, and from a business standpoint it would seem to make sense to make select Dreamcast classics available on services like Xbox Live or PlayStation Network. Protecting the trademark "for potential future use" leaves that door open as a possibility for the future.

That said, some of Sega's big properties saw previous releases on the Dreamcast, and when Sega releases a new game in the same franchise on the current consoles, the trademark simply protects their reference to an old Dreamcast version as well. We highly doubt Sega will ever launch another console, but digital distribution of Dreamcast games does seem like an attractive avenue.

Failedartifact
December 13th, 2007, 22:51
This has to be something about releasing dreamcast games on either Xbox 360 OR ps3.. And Which ever one it hits, im buying that console straight away. no joke.

What does everyone else think?

wolfpack
December 13th, 2007, 23:16
If only there was Dreamcast 2...

pibs
December 13th, 2007, 23:32
sure if they add achievements to old dc games and compress them under a gig ill be happy to purchase them as long as they are under a reasonable price like 400 - 800 points

fackue
December 13th, 2007, 23:32
Hm, I think we're asking the wrong questions. It's not whether SEGA is going to make a new Dreamcast console. It should be what other games are they making available for Xbox Live?

In case no one's heard, there's going to be downloadable Dreamcast games (at least two confirmed: Ikaruga and Rez) on Xbox Live.

This has to be something about releasing dreamcast games on either Xbox 360 OR ps3.. And Which ever one it hits, im buying that console straight away. no joke.

What does everyone else think?

JKKDARK
December 13th, 2007, 23:37
In case no one's heard, there's going to be downloadable Dreamcast games (at least two confirmed: Ikaruga and Rez) on Xbox Live.

and Trigger Heart Exelica ;)

pibs
December 13th, 2007, 23:44
wii will probably get some titles too but I doubt as dlc, more likely to be ports as wii is already struggling with its virtual console space on the system.

beetroot bertie
December 14th, 2007, 10:18
There's quite a few I'd like to see:

Powerstone 2 - for online 4 player madness
Phantasy Star online - with the Xbox live support, I'd imagine this would do very well.
Daytona USA 2001 - pure arcade racing, great if online enabled
Chu Chu Rocket - perfect for XBLA

They don't have to on XBLA either, I'd be happy to buy a disc with perhaps 10 titles compiled together. I suppose Capcom had enough DC titles to build a good collection, those I can recall being:

Powerstone 1 and 2
Mars Matrix
Gunbird 2
Gigawing 1 and 2
Capcom Vs SNK 1 and 2
Marvel Vs Capcom 1 and 2
Street Fighter 2 and 3
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Tech Romancer
Project Justice: Rival Schools

JKKDARK
December 14th, 2007, 13:50
Phantasy Star online - with the Xbox live support,

This is what Sega DON'T want to do. Didn't you notice PSO Episode I & II for Xbox is not compatible with Xbox 360? It's because Sega want more players for Phantasy Star Universe (which is crap compared to Phantasy Star Online).

ron
December 14th, 2007, 14:31
While Sega has made no explicit comments regarding further digital distribution of Dreamcast titles

This makes me think too fast !!!!!!

Anyway , Dreamcast old glories on nextgen consoles vía internet ?

xD

geise69
December 14th, 2007, 16:17
I refuse to play my beloved Dreamcast games on a Sony or Microsoft console. F that!

quzar
December 14th, 2007, 17:25
There's quite a few I'd like to see:

Powerstone 2 - for online 4 player madness
Phantasy Star online - with the Xbox live support, I'd imagine this would do very well.
Daytona USA 2001 - pure arcade racing, great if online enabled
Chu Chu Rocket - perfect for XBLA

They don't have to on XBLA either, I'd be happy to buy a disc with perhaps 10 titles compiled together. I suppose Capcom had enough DC titles to build a good collection, those I can recall being:

Powerstone 1 and 2
Mars Matrix
Gunbird 2
Gigawing 1 and 2
Capcom Vs SNK 1 and 2
Marvel Vs Capcom 1 and 2
Street Fighter 2 and 3
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Tech Romancer
Project Justice: Rival Schools

Add to that:

Heavy Metal Geomatrix
Spawn
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Canon Spike
Vampire Chronicles
Super Puzzle Fighter II X (one of my favorite DC games)
Resident Evil 2, 3, and Code Veronica
and a bunch of random japanese games.

Fox_Mulder86
December 14th, 2007, 18:59
I refuse to play my beloved Dreamcast games on a Sony or Microsoft console. F that! Amen! I'm sticking to the original console it wouldn't be the same on another console :cool:

beetroot bertie
December 15th, 2007, 11:34
I understand the sentiment, but if it meant I could enjoy the online aspects that I've previously not touched due to lack of online support and slow modem (in PAL DCs), then I'd welcome it.

Online Powerstone 2 would be great fun, co-op in Ikaruga, Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, Outrigger, Daytona, Chu Chu Rocket etc. This would add to my enjoyment of the games immensely and besides, both the DC and 360 are beige and noisy. What more can you want :D.

Zin0099
December 15th, 2007, 13:03
would love to see sega genesis 32x cd saturn and dreamcast on ps3's psn sonic adventure 1 or 2 plus the choa garden avalible for download from the ps3 to psp like dc to vmu