PDA

View Full Version : DSCube 3D rubik's cube game

wraggster
December 13th, 2007, 22:27
News/release from Sepro (http://palib.info/forum/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=23139#forumpost23139):

I'm very proud to present my very first game you can actually call finished. It's a little rubik's cube sim for the nintendo DS. It features a fully 3D rubik's cube that can be rotated using the stylus, put it on one block and slide to the next block. rotate the entire cube using the D-pad, L and R can be used to zoom.
I've tested it on a ezflash V, if it works or doesn't work on other hardware I would like to know. Other suggestions and/or comments are welcom.

Best regards,
Seb

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Rebrek
December 13th, 2007, 22:41
Well, I'll take a look at it on my GnM... I'll edit my post if it works.

Great! It works with no problems. Glad to know, it's the first 3-D one I've seen yet.

stevo11185
December 13th, 2007, 22:54
Great! It works with no problems. Glad to know, it's the first 3-D one I've seen yet.

doesnt work on r4 but looks awesome.....you cannot move the blocks with the stylus and the zoom goes right through. i think you should set a maximum zoon level. this could turn out to be awesome

sepro
December 13th, 2007, 23:46
doesnt work on r4 but looks awesome.....you cannot move the blocks with the stylus and the zoom goes right through. i think you should set a maximum zoon level. this could turn out to be awesome

Damn, that's quite a problem since the r4 is a popular one to say the least. I'll add a min and max zoom lvl, that's easy. Why the stylus isn't working I don't know :confused:

ezflash V works
GnM works
TTDS works
R4 doesn't work
Emulators doesn't work
Others ???

kcajblue
December 13th, 2007, 23:57
rubiks cubes are awesome.
i just got a new one a couple of days ago.

SchecterRocker
December 14th, 2007, 02:15
It's working great on my Supercard Lite microSD. Just patch with the Supercard Magic Homebrew Patcher, and it runs perfectly! Portable rubik's cube, woot!

By the way, Sepro, are you going to add a saving feature? Because noobs like me take forever at solving rubiks cubes. I can't do it in one sitting. Of course, I'll probably never figure it out, so don't worry about it. Awesome app!

MasterMan
December 14th, 2007, 02:52
Same error as the R4 in my SCCF.
But i got it in a strange way.
Using DSOrganize webbrowser, i loged and dowloaded it in TehSkeen board.
Used DSCOMPRESS to unzip and launched the *.NDS file without any DLDI, SCCF has auto patch.
When the zoom is maxed and the viewpoint is inside the cube, pressing R rotates the cube part.

unclexyzzy
December 14th, 2007, 04:33
Same error with the CycloDS Evolution. :(

rememberthe8bit
December 14th, 2007, 07:42
Uh... Works fine in my R4 (Firmware 1.11)...

sepro
December 14th, 2007, 08:08
It's working great on my Supercard Lite microSD. Just patch with the Supercard Magic Homebrew Patcher, and it runs perfectly! Portable rubik's cube, woot!

By the way, Sepro, are you going to add a saving feature? Because noobs like me take forever at solving rubiks cubes. I can't do it in one sitting. Of course, I'll probably never figure it out, so don't worry about it. Awesome app!

That's a great idea, I was planning on adding a high score feature (will need dldi patching of course) so a save feature should alse be possible.

SchecterRocker
December 16th, 2007, 10:33
Awesome, maybe with saving I can learn how to solve Rubiks cubes! :thumbup:

DanTheManMS
December 19th, 2007, 22:59
I'm having the same "can't rotate the cube" issue on my Supercard miniSD. I'll try disabling the DLDI autopatching or loading a *.sc.nds version of it to see if it helps.

EDIT: nope, neither worked. If I tap a square, it sometimes flashes, but I can't get it to actually move.

sepro
December 21st, 2007, 15:24
EDIT: nope, neither worked. If I tap a square, it sometimes flashes, but I can't get it to actually move.

You shouldn't just tap a square. Put you stylus on one square and slide it to another one on the same face of the cube (keep stylus in contact with screen). Hope this helps.

I'll be working on a new version after the holidays, so keep an eye on this forum for an update :)

DanTheManMS
December 26th, 2007, 16:26
I'm aware of that. I'm just stating that the only way I can get any feedback at all is by tapping and seeing it flash. Tapping and dragging does nothing, and I've tried dragging pretty much every possible direction.

sepro
December 27th, 2007, 19:29
I wasn't planning on releasing an update this fast, but since it tackles some problems raised here (and hopefully also the problem DanTheManMS has), I've uploaded the new version.

*Zooming is fixed and L & R buttons are swapped (makes more sence to me this way)
*Added saving and loading (requires dldi patching)
*Renewed the menu and added a couple simple but usefull options
*Left handed people can use the ABXY buttons to rotate the entire cube.

controls (changed a little since previous version)

D-pad, ABXY : rotate entire cube
L & R : zoom out, in
start : brings up the menu

inside the menu:

D-pad up, down : up & down
A : select submenu, change option, ...
B : go back
start : hide menu

Scamble/start should now be done from menu (game, start). Saving and loading is also availeble through this menu (game, save / game, load)

Hope this fixes some errors, keep me posted if it works or does not work on the hardware you're using.

download here from my site (http://seb.channelwood.org/files/DSCube20071227.zip)

MasterMan
December 27th, 2007, 20:41
Now it works nice. But in my DS fat, the orange and red colors are confusingly equals.

DanTheManMS
December 28th, 2007, 01:24
It works now, but as MasterMan said, it's nearly impossible to tell the difference between red and orange. At least the rotation works now though.

sepro
December 28th, 2007, 01:56
It works now, but as MasterMan said, it's nearly impossible to tell the difference between red and orange. At least the rotation works now though.

here (http://seb.channelwood.org/files/DSCube20071228.zip) is a version with a slightly more orange and brighter color. Since I only have access to a DS lite I don't know if it's beter.

MasterMan
December 28th, 2007, 23:55
Prettier, thanks.
Orange still looks red, but more distinguishable.
I think orange could be RGB 255,125,0 or HEX #FF7D00.

BTW, the lower screen could have any bitmap as backdrop?

Thanks again.

kurokitsune
December 30th, 2007, 10:39
cool! very nice work. i love the cube!

things that can be improved upon:
- i find it can be a bit awkward to turn some faces when viewed at certain angles. they don't necessarily turn how you'd expect them to. hard to explain. just doesn't always feel intuitive.

- sometimes when turning the face will spin one time too many. could be just a sensitivity issue.

- it would also help to have the cube spin continuously/infinitely when rotating in one direction. it can be a bit annoying when the cube stops turning and you have to double back around.

- a "back" or "undo" button would be great as well. especially when you muck up your cube badly and need to go back a few steps instead of remembering what you did wrong.

i can solve a real cube in just over a minute, but it's much trickier without your hands. i can't seem to remember my algorithms. muscle memory must be playing a big role. this will definitely help out.

great job! i appreciate your work. keep going!

p.s. it also works fine on my R4 with firmware v1.14

goldfish96
March 31st, 2008, 00:57
i'v just registerd 'DCEMU' and i dont know how eveybody are makeing all the ds games and apps can some pls tell me (sorry, i'm not a good speller)

blueflashboi
May 6th, 2008, 17:12
i am new to this site but i found something weird on the dscube, if you put one finger on the cube and and slide the stylus across it will move.

this is for the r4.

Danief
May 7th, 2008, 04:01
this doesnt work for me... i can zoom, and rotate, but when i try to drag the sides, nothing happens. it just flashes the color.

oh how i hate games n music.

malanjary
August 4th, 2008, 03:44
Ya I got the same problem, it works with my finger tho. I have an R4

sepro
August 4th, 2008, 07:51
Ya I got the same problem, it works with my finger tho. I have an R4

This problem occurs on ds phats, it appears the pseudo-pressure I've used to increase precession of the touchscreen only works with DS lite. I removed it in later versions and tweaked the controls which is a much better solution anyway.

To fix the problem get the new version (check my signature)