PDA

View Full Version : I want one!!

shadowprophet
December 14th, 2007, 02:53
Glow in the dark kitty cats!

South Koreans clone cats that glow in the dark: officials

1 day ago

SEOUL (AFP) — South Korean scientists have cloned cats by manipulating a fluorescent protein gene, a procedure which could help develop treatments for human genetic diseases, officials said Wednesday.

In a side-effect, the cloned cats glow in the dark when exposed to ultraviolet beams.

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/16/funkeyjivecatsyh9.jpg

I want one!
A team of scientists led by Kong Il-keun, a cloning expert at Gyeongsang National University, produced three cats possessing altered fluorescence protein (RFP) genes, the Ministry of Science and Technology said.

"It marked the first time in the world that cats with RFP genes have been cloned," the ministry said in a statement.

"The ability to produce cloned cats with the manipulated genes is significant as it could be used for developing treatments for genetic diseases and for reproducing model (cloned) animals suffering from the same diseases as humans," it added.

The cats were born in January and February. One was stillborn while two others grew to become adult Turkish Angoras, weighing 3.0 kilogrammes (6.6 pounds) and 3.5 kilogrammes.

"This technology can be applied to clone animals suffering from the same diseases as humans," the leading scientist, Kong, told AFP.

"It will also help develop stemcell treatments," he said, noting that cats have some 250 kinds of genetic diseases that affect humans, too.

The technology can also help clone endangered animals like tigers, leopards and wildcats, Kong said.

South Korea's bio-engineering industry suffered a setback after a much-touted achievement by cloning expert Hwang Woo-Suk turned out to have been faked.

The government banned Hwang from research using human eggs after his claims that he created the first human stem cells through cloning were ruled last year to be bogus.

Hwang is standing trial on charges of fraud and embezzlement.

News Via, wtf ever... (http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5jRM8U57zvCnlmclb0PbMKYQTEFYg)

ICE
December 14th, 2007, 03:11
Lol man someone posted this on my site too. Its pretty freakin sweet if you ask me.

shadowprophet
December 14th, 2007, 03:15
Lol man someone posted this on my site too. Its pretty freakin sweet if you ask me.

I'll have one of those kittens man, If i have to go to south korea and pull stings on the black market. Mark my words. Shadowprophet will have a glow in the dark kitty before 08 passes :cool:

ICE
December 14th, 2007, 03:18
Lmao I'll hold you to that one man. I want to see a picture of you holding that cat in the dark. No flash on the pic because I want the lighting to come from the cat.

shadowprophet
December 14th, 2007, 03:20
Lmao I'll hold you to that one man. I want to see a picture of you holding that cat in the dark. No flash on the pic because I want the lighting to come from the cat.
So it is writen, so shall it be done.:cool: By
jan 1'st 09. My avater will be me holding my glow in the dark kitty *nods

ICE
December 14th, 2007, 03:27
Oh man have you heard about the fearless mice?
http://www.codemayhem.net/viewtopic.php?t=2306&highlight=
Check that out..

EDIT: Crap gotta sign up to see it. Heres the source link. http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/showflipped.aspx?id=FLIEN20070035771

Shadowblind
December 14th, 2007, 03:28
Definitely looks like someones holding a big a** flashlight behind them :)

ExcruciationX
December 14th, 2007, 03:31
I kind of do too, although I'm not sure how long they'll live.

Why don't you find a glowing dog, it'll scare the kids on Halloween. :p

kcajblue
December 14th, 2007, 04:40
that is so friggin awesome.

i would hella get one of those cats.

seeing them in the dark would be so cool.

pibs
December 14th, 2007, 04:50
Reminds me of those glow in the dark zebra fish that glow in the dark with a blacklight.

a glow in the dark kitty is waay waay more awesome than a glow in the dark fish!

shadowprophet
December 14th, 2007, 04:53
I wonder if glow in the dark kitty cats would be more likely to eat the glow in the dark fish :rofl:

kcajblue
December 14th, 2007, 04:55
Reminds me of those glow in the dark zebra fish that glow in the dark with a blacklight.

a glow in the dark kitty is waay waay more awesome than a glow in the dark fish!exactly.

you cant play with fish.

and they have to stay in the tank.

but cats are fun.

pibs
December 14th, 2007, 05:17
I wonder if glow in the dark kitty cats would be more likely to eat the glow in the dark fish :rofl:

ha thats clever, cats with glowing stomachs

for those who have never seen the glow in the dark fish
http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/031219/031219_glofish_hup10a.hmedium.jpg

ExcruciationX
December 14th, 2007, 06:18
It would be cool to manipulate the colors on the fish to spell out it's name, or say something else with a different color.

shadowprophet
December 14th, 2007, 07:05
It would be cool to manipulate the colors on the fish to spell out it's name, or say something else with a different color.
I'd want a red fish with the classic konami Up up down down left right left right b+a select+start code on it :p

I wonder if they could fit all of that on a fish :confused:

:thumbup:

Kramer
December 14th, 2007, 07:44
Messing with animals is not cool.....

dejkirkby
December 14th, 2007, 07:56
I feel sorry for these cats. I wonder what pain and suffering they went through for this and how the chemicals will affect them in the future.

shadowprophet
December 14th, 2007, 09:09
Messing with animals is not cool..... actually this hasbeen going on longer then you would think, the killer bee for instance is a product of genetic modification performed on ordinary honey bees.

I feel sorry for these cats. I wonder what pain and suffering they went through for this and how the chemicals will affect them in the future.no chemicals. the glowing a byproduct brought about by genetic engineering. they where born that way. no pain, no hurt. still they are clones. which means they are likelier to fall victim to a certain number of illnesses clones develop' which is sad. still, the fact is, a lot of animals in todays world came into existence in similar ways. the goldfish for instance was a product of unnatural cross breeding.
and besides, if genetic engineering on animals can bringabout cures for human diseases. as much as I'm opposed it, It's still a much preferable alternative to stem cell research.

Kramer
December 14th, 2007, 09:39
actually this hasbeen going on longer then you would think, the killer bee for instance is a product of genetic modification performed on ordinary honey bees.

Yeah I know....
My main hobby is keeping fish and it's sad to see how many people mistreat fish....

shadowprophet
December 14th, 2007, 09:59
Yeah I know....
My main hobby is keeping fish and it's sad to see how many people mistreat fish....

I tried taking care of fish once, I had a couple betas once I named them ken and ryu. A lot of people don't know how much there is to taking proper care of fish. they can catch diseases and you have to keep the water just the right temperature and never over feed them,sometimes you even have to get certain kinds of drops and put it in the water to prevent illnesses. You have to constantly check the ph balance in the water. Yup taking care of fish and doing it right is quite a bit more complicated then the average goldfish owner would even know, *nods

Shadowblind
December 14th, 2007, 12:48
I had a beta fish once. Lodged itself into its air filter and couldn't get out. Ever heard of fish suicide? Both sad and funny.

Unrelated Note: Hey shadow prof, how are you enjoying one of the single greatest launch games for the 360, Quake 4?

JPJunkie
December 14th, 2007, 16:45
Wow they look cool

shadowprophet
December 14th, 2007, 19:55
I had a beta fish once. Lodged itself into its air filter and couldn't get out. Ever heard of fish suicide? Both sad and funny.

Unrelated Note: Hey shadow prof, how are you enjoying one of the single greatest launch games for the 360, Quake 4?

Q4.
I very much like quake 4, I can admit though its no halo 3 or bioshock on any level. But it manages to capture and capitalize on that doom 3 feeling really well. the graphics are nice the story is great. But damn, Its hella long. I mean long... 30 levels. I don't like playing any shooting game on the easy difficulty settings and I couldn't pick the toughest setting from the start, So I chose lieutenant. Even on this setting Quake 4 is a little too easy. Either that or I'm just really really good at it. all in all If I had one valid complaint about quake 4, It would be that the game seems really stingy with achievement points. but I've came to terms with that. If a games worth playing, It's worth playing, achievement points or not. All in all I'd have to say no other game since doom 3 has managed to capture that same creepy vibe just right. I love it :cool:

ExcruciationX
December 14th, 2007, 20:02
I had betas, but we had to keep them separated. The wall apparently fell over. Fish guts everywhere.

unpure
December 14th, 2007, 21:48
How could one of them have been still born (out of three cats born) yet there is 3 glowing cats in the picture?
This seems bogusish....

acn010
December 15th, 2007, 17:10
I'll have one of those kittens man, If i have to go to south korea and pull stings on the black market. Mark my words. Shadowprophet will have a glow in the dark kitty before 08 passes :cool:

im with you XD lmao!!!

Axelius
December 15th, 2007, 19:29
How could one of them have been still born (out of three cats born) yet there is 3 glowing cats in the picture?
This seems bogusish....
Perhaps one is the mother because there are only two cats glowing...it could be the mother that has not been genetically manipulated.

JPJunkie
December 16th, 2007, 10:19
im with you XD lmao!!!

Me too

I'm counting on you SP ;)