PDA

View Full Version : CuTy : new textinput system

wraggster
December 15th, 2007, 14:30
News from Mistabeen

Hi all,

For some time now I have been using certain homebrew that requires text input like PSPIRC, AFKIM, etc...
Danzeff has created a nifty little keyboard aplication that gives us the opportunity to input text quite easy.
However, I always seem to strugly with the analog nub that is a bit awkward. I don't know about anyone else, but it can be sometimes quite hard to highlight the correct square.
Therefore I designed a new style of keyboard that could be used for textinput on the PSP.
My mainfocus ont his design was to be able to input text at a much faster pace then danzeff's keyboard. I based this on rythem games, that uses combinations of buttons to input a series of signals at a fast speed.
I'm quite sure that people who play rythem games on the PSP will be quick learners for this typing system.

Ofcourse, this is just a PoC, a design for a keyboard.
I can only code LUA and I know that those keyboard plugins are written in C, therefore I release this as a PoC and not an official coded release.

I called the design of the keyboard CuTy Keyboard (Quick Text Keyboard > QT Keyboard > CuTy keyboard) becaus it's main focus is on rappid text input on the psp.
This keyboard might not support as many characters as danzeff, but it contains all the vital characters AFAIK.

You can view my presentation of CuTy at this website
http://users.telenet.be/mistabeen/cuty

Some of the main features:

3 different input modes wich you can scroll trough using the select button (a bit like the official OSK of the PSP)
- Basic text
- Alternative text
- Numpad

Moving the analog nub gives a hard enter

Holding a button in basic text input mode for 1sec will type a capital letter instead of a lowercase letter.

Cycle trough different combinations using the shoulder buttons (no shoulder buttons, left shoulder button, right shoulder button, both shoulder buttons)

I am hoping some developper sees something in this concept and works it out so it can be used in other homebrew aplications as an alternative next to danzeff's keyboard.

Check out the presentation at the link above
via mistabeen (http://forums.qj.net/f-psp-development-forum-11/t-poc-cuty-new-textinput-system-osk-129970.html)

Buddy4point0
December 15th, 2007, 15:29
Looks good, I've been hoping for a new keyboard system as well because I dont particuarly like dansefs either. Hopefully this will be as fast and easy as the official sony keyboard.

DPyro
December 15th, 2007, 16:48
Doesn't look any faster than whats already available.

Nikolaos
December 15th, 2007, 18:16
If danzeff keyboard used correctly than you can type just as fast if not faster then some people can on the pc. I am very very good at it now thanks to afkim. Your keyboard is too big in size, and the fact it is in lua does not work with anything besides other lua homebrews, you can not incorporate it with basic homebrew, also the time will slow down due to the fact only 8 options are available right away.

-Xandu-
December 15th, 2007, 20:15
I think AFKIM's OSK is faster by the way the flash animation (http://users.telenet.be/mistabeen/cuty/) shows it.

Safari Al
December 15th, 2007, 20:42
i dont know this looks about the same speed as danzef's

-Xandu-
December 15th, 2007, 20:46
Not talking about the "speed", just you can type faster on the danzeff OSK.

Safari Al
December 15th, 2007, 20:48
well yeah i meant that but it came out wrong :p