PDA

View Full Version : GPS signal improvements. NO SCAM !

zerodays
December 17th, 2007, 13:47
Hi all, As some of you 'probably' already knew....
I made a small improvement to enhance the GPS signal/lock. Awesome :D

===Improvement 1===
Get a USB Extension Cable!!
http://www.pc-mobile.net/pspgps.htm
http://www.pc-mobile.net/pspue1.jpg

Stick the GPS unit in front of your car window, perferbly top. And drag the cable along the sideways, cable length is 1.5m, should be enough.
Do not put your uni on the top-center of window, the cable length is limited.

===Improvement 2===
Crack your GPS-290 header (white-cover) !!!!
First take out the Joints using slim (-) screw driver, take the joint cover out. You should see a hole.
Then, use a bigger fatter (-) screw driver to stick into the hole,
slowly twist the screw driver vertically, so as to pull out the white-cover. (I believe this is the *only* way to remove the white-cover, SAFELY)
Note that white-cap is firmly GLUED to the (inside) center of the unit. If you want neatness, use a clear-tape to wrap around the naked header.

Naked header consist of
outer area (square): ceramic
inside area (square): silver plate
core area (circle/dot): silver plate

Here is my attached. Notice how I was stoned while I was on it, so I also colored it using a oil-based red pen. :D
It is a bit shiny as you can notice I've wrap it nicely with a clear-tape. (no bubbles!)
Now, believe me or not, I can get the GPS signal/locks in my ROOM !! (before I couldnt at all!)
MY friend also did this trick and he also admitted that more Sats are seen and GPS locks are so much faster.

note1.
If you carefully look at the white-cover, they are double layered, one clear outside, and one white inside, I've tried very hard to split them apart,
so that I could stick only the clear one back on.. :p but it seems that they are stuck very very hard at the factory-level.
I even tried the nife.. doesn't work. :p

note2.
I also cut out the both LEFT/RIGHT sides, because you cannot stick it to far-corner of your window if you leave them out.
Yes, I know I am not going to sell it.

note3.
When you stick the GPS unit to the window, yse a double sided (strong ones, such as 3M) tape to apply it on the "bottom" of the GPS unit (the silver covers).
The whole point is to try to AVOID covering the center. You do not tape the center (the pink areas in my photo) as the tape is already strong enough to hold.

Cheers

mehmetcan
December 17th, 2007, 15:45
Edited:

is it empty ? or am I misunderstood the picture ?
I was expecting a "High Tech Device" inside that white cover....

I really shocked, what's next ?..
if I crack my quad CPU, may I see 4 gnomes calculating datas inside ???

deniska
December 17th, 2007, 17:00
zerodays (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/member.php?u=265737), I think that most of the reception improvements is due to the cable and not the cover removal.. I removed the cover on one of my units some time ago but did not notice any improvement.. (I was actually hopping to attach an external antenna to it)
But again, thanks for the info.. Some people may find it useful .

mehmetcan (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/member.php?u=271061), what you see on the picture is just a gps antenna, all the fancy stuff is underneath..

zerodays
December 18th, 2007, 02:08
deniska. I've had the cable-extension for a while, I'm fairly sure that white-cap off really did increase the sensitivity and allow it to find and lock much faster than before.

methmetcan, if you've taken out quad cpu, you will see a Core-die, a bit more fancier than GPS, but thats about it. The high-tech stuffs are more like embedded deep inside.

kohht
January 2nd, 2008, 18:34
wow.. Lols , tell me more abt tis thx =]]

tatchoni
January 4th, 2008, 07:57
Hello Zerodays,
I have a PSP 290 and removed the cover and now it works perfectly, hehe thanks a lot. :-)

Before I had only 4 max sats in view now it is 9 - 10 max. Thanks Again... I'm from Philippines btw.

fischauge
January 4th, 2008, 15:55
Maybe somebody can make a tutorial with pictures, that would be great ^^.

maksidaa
February 24th, 2008, 00:31
I tried this out and it worked great for me. I went from having 2-3 satellites in my house with no lock, to 6-7 satellites and a lock on 3 or 4 of them. I can sit at my kitchen table and use mapthis! with no problem, and I don't have to have a wire hanging off my psp.

Here's my pic tutorial...

kohht
February 24th, 2008, 19:26
can anyone help me doing this thx..

fischauge
February 24th, 2008, 20:26
maksidaa, Thanks for your Tutorial, but i think i won`t remove it :p

PDG
February 25th, 2008, 08:18
Why break a functional GPS unit when a extentioncable works almost as good :D

Ia have a Holux and a 290 and the holux is mouch better but the 290 isnt that bad, it amost always depends on WiFi signals and UMD drivers or just the weather and location :D

derek1212
February 25th, 2008, 08:34
Why break a functional GPS unit when a extentioncable works almost as good :D

Ia have a Holux and a 290 and the holux is mouch better but the 290 isnt that bad, it amost always depends on WiFi signals and UMD drivers or just the weather and location :D

IC....I think I should start from begining....not gone too fast yet.....:p

kohht
February 25th, 2008, 12:39
well i remove it hahas but not try yet =x