PDA

View Full Version : Sony's focus now on PS3 games

Shrygue
December 17th, 2007, 17:35
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=177658)

PlayStation president Kaz Hirai says he wants to ramp up the amount of software available for the PlayStation 3 in a bid to stay competitive with rival platform holders.

According to The Associated Press, Hirai told the Yomiuri Shimbun newspaper that PS3 games will now be Sony Computer Entertainment's main focus following the company's previous attention given to its pricing strategy.

"[The PlayStation 3] is starting afresh as a console to play games with. Although pricing strategy is important, now we would like to put our strength in the number of software games," he said.

Many commentators remain underwhelmed by the PS3's current software library, which pales in comparison to that of Microsoft's Xbox 360. Numerous big-name console platform exclusives have been released for Xbox 360 this year, including BioShock and Mass Effect, while a number of triple-A multiplatform titles such as The Orange Box have been less well received on Sony's next-gen console than on Xbox 360.

Hirai was speaking following the recent introduction of PS3 price cuts in all major territories, a strategy that resulted in increased sales throughout the US, Europe and Japan.

He noted that he expects Sony to meet its target of shipping 11 million PS3 units by March 2008, the end of the fiscal year, while adding that he would like to see Sony's game division "escape as soon as possible from the red and return to the black in fiscal year 2008".

JKKDARK
December 17th, 2007, 18:07
He noted that he expects Sony to meet its target of shipping 11 million PS3 units by March 2008

Seeing the actual sales, I don't think it's even possible. What BIG titles we will see between today and March 2008?

Shadowblind
December 17th, 2007, 18:35
No it'll be easy to ship that many. Not that many people will buy it though.

Theres quite a difference between shipping something and selling it.

So are they saying they haven't been working on creating good games for the year its been out? Thats awfully rude to the people who payed 600 dollars for it when it first came out.

DPyro
December 17th, 2007, 21:56
No, they are saying they were first focusing on getting the hardware out there. Their now focusing on ramping out the software.

NoQuarter
December 17th, 2007, 22:11
I think Sony's strategy will pay off in the end,kinda of a slow burn but brilliant!

Let the hackers have the psp and keep their market share safe with the PS3.
No need to buy virtual console games on the wii...
Smack the GBA and DS with emu's on the psp.
Genius...
Not to mention we can play emu's on PS3 linux.
I use my PS3 for official games and am quite happy with Sony on this one.As long as there is tekken on ps3 I'm there.
I can't wait to see the games that really utilize the PS3's power,enter Grand Turismo.

Gizmo356
December 17th, 2007, 23:53
Awesome lets see what happens

Gold Line
December 18th, 2007, 00:48
I think Sony's strategy will pay off in the end,kinda of a slow burn but brilliant!

Let the hackers have the psp and keep their market share safe with the PS3.
No need to buy virtual console games on the wii...
Smack the GBA and DS with emu's on the psp.
Genius...
Not to mention we can play emu's on PS3 linux.
I use my PS3 for official games and am quite happy with Sony on this one.As long as there is tekken on ps3 I'm there.
I can't wait to see the games that really utilize the PS3's power,enter Grand Turismo.

smack the gba and ds with psp emus? i don't get that? the ds can emulate just as well as the psp can apart from N64 and PS1 games.