PDA

View Full Version : PS3 firmware version 2.10 coming tomorrow - includes DivX support

NoQuarter
December 17th, 2007, 20:28
Via ps3fanboy:

The European Playstation website lists a new firmware update that will be released tomorrow. Version 2.10 is mostly a visual media-based update, with none of the listed features having any impact on gameplay. In other words, you can stop holding your breath - there's no in-game XMB here. Instead, we the arrival of two highly anticipated features. Blu-Ray profile 1.1 and DivX support will heavily increase the PS3's standing as a media hub.

There's a smattering of other little additions, all of which we've listed after the break. There are also a couple of stipulations with regards to DivX - namely, that copyright protected files, v3.11 encoded videos and files larger than 2GB cannot be played.

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/12/17/ps3-firmware-version-2-10-coming-tomorrow-includes-divx-suppor/

I don't know about you guy's but for me this is a welcome update :)

Napalm-Death
December 17th, 2007, 21:52
Lol @ anything over 2GB being unplayable. Thanks for the news, I can't wait... I'll finally be able to burn that HDD space.

NoQuarter
December 17th, 2007, 21:59
Yeah the 2GB limit is lame,but at least were getting more support for video codecs.
If the RSX is finally mastered we won't even need this stuff in the XMB,you could just run whatever in linux at a decent framerate.I don't know what the current video playback is like in PS3 linux as I haven't tried it.

Accordion
December 17th, 2007, 22:24
hopefully we get another XMB speed increase as well.

Cloudhunter
December 17th, 2007, 23:37
Looking forward to this update - 2.00 GB should be large enough for most purposes. Most DVDRips are 700 MB anyway.

If you want really high quality, you can still use MP4 - or chop the movie into smaller chunks ;)

Cloudy

NoQuarter
December 18th, 2007, 00:57
Good point Cloudy,I'll remember that.
Has anybody here tried video playback in PS3 linux?

DPyro
December 18th, 2007, 06:54
FYI this update has been out for awhile now....just haven't bothered posting it :p

NoQuarter
December 18th, 2007, 07:21
Lol,that's what happens to me When I don't pay attention to the updates...

lmtlmt
December 18th, 2007, 08:36
well i downloaded it today, and i just downloaded the 2.01 yesturday so i was a bit pissed off but anyway divX support is good.

Accordion
December 18th, 2007, 13:49
Features not listed:
Video previews now play within folders.
Wallpaper/wave is now shown behind the web browser.
A new [non-reactive?] visualizer has been added.- the earth from space.

any others?

NoQuarter
December 18th, 2007, 15:15
why can't we play our music while webbrowsing and playing games?That's what I want to see in an update.

Accordion
December 18th, 2007, 15:39
Update to features list:

[rumor/untested] PSone titles can be played via remote play.

I will test this out tonight.

lmtlmt
December 21st, 2007, 08:47
why can't we play our music while webbrowsing and playing games?That's what I want to see in an update.

uuummm you can listen to music while web browsing, you always have been able to.

NoQuarter
December 21st, 2007, 09:55
My mistake your right,Lmtlmt.I forgot about it cause it's so rare for me to use the ps3 webbrowser.We still need it in game.