PDA

View Full Version : Blu-ray once again rocks the niche market

wraggster
December 18th, 2007, 00:58
Normally when we cover a story about Blu-ray, it comes with the whole "oh, it's outselling HD DVD 2:1" smack talk. However, we can't actually say that for the week ending December 9th. Instead, we can say "oh, it's outselling HD DVD 3:1" and crack a sly grin. How did Blu-ray wipe the floor with their high-definition competitor? It was the third Pirates of the Caribbean film -- Superbad helped out, too.

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/12/16/blu-ray-once-again-rocks-the-niche-market/

Brucem
December 18th, 2007, 02:24
Oh .. the things fanboys write..

This might actually be Sony's first successful format...

Fail: MiniDisc, Betamax, Memory Stick, ATRAC, HiFD, Super Audio CD (anyone have a player which plays these?), UMD for movies...

Maybe not a failure: BluRay.. Maybe.

That scares me a little. Their CD/DVD players are junk as far as disc reading reliability goes..

Hopefully bluray isn't the same way, reading or writing. I wouldn't to write a 20GB disc with some sort of important backup data, and then end up needing it, only to have disc reading problems.

Normally when we cover a story about Blu-ray, it comes with the whole "oh, it's outselling HD DVD 2:1" smack talk. However, we can't actually say that for the week ending December 9th. Instead, we can say "oh, it's outselling HD DVD 3:1" and crack a sly grin. How did Blu-ray wipe the floor with their high-definition competitor? It was the third Pirates of the Caribbean film -- Superbad helped out, too.

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/12/16/blu-ray-once-again-rocks-the-niche-market/

F9zDark
December 18th, 2007, 04:08
How is memory stick a failure?

bah
December 18th, 2007, 04:30
It's not totaly, but its one format amongst many in a market where many standards can exist without too many problems because card readers read them all, and you dont move the cards around as much from device to device as you do a cd/dvd.

Its pretty much only sony devices that use them though, so the only reason they exist is due to them using the format and not cheaper (to the consumer) alternatives in their own devices.

Unless blu-ray blanks become as cheap or at least close to hd-dvdrs then the format is useless to me. The additional copy protection layer (BD+) is extremely unwelcome also.