PDA

View Full Version : 3.80 M33 Coming, Third PSP Model In The Works?

Shrygue
December 19th, 2007, 19:22
via eXophase.com (http://exophase.com/psp/380-m33-coming-third-psp-model-in-the-works-2838.htm)

Mathieulh and Dark_AleX have confirmed that work on custom firmware 3.80 M33 has already commenced. There is no set release date at this time, but expect to see a release in the near future.

While working on 3.80 M33, the two found a peculiar string in the IPL’s payload file — pspbtcnf_03g.bin. What does this mean? Well, flashback to a few months ago when a string referring to pspbtcnf_02g.bin was found in firmware 2.71. Once the PSP Slim was finally released, it was discovered that “02g” was none other than a codename for the slim hardware.

Could “03g” be the codename for a third PSP hardware revision? Perhaps for the rumored PSP phone? It’s possible.

camcorderdoctor
December 19th, 2007, 22:44
Hells Ya Buddy, this is very good nooz - I'm glad that I decided to wait for this - not sure about the whole HX thing yet, that's all - I still haven't heard if it even works or not.

dazman
December 19th, 2007, 23:08
Oh my yes please, for both

Buddy4point0
December 19th, 2007, 23:40
awsome.
i would love a model 3.
but i dont think they should make it a new psp.

they need to make a psp2, with much better gfx, better battery, and a ps2 emulator. :)

great find though

PSPdemon
December 20th, 2007, 02:49
awsome.
i would love a model 3.
but i dont think they should make it a new psp.

they need to make a psp2, with much better gfx, better battery, and a ps2 emulator. :)

great find though

i wouldnt want to see a a 3rd model....it would be useless...

mainly because...

A.) its to early due to them making the slim ( which hasnt even seen a full years round yet.... )

and...

B.) its to late, cause the psp has been out almost 3 years....

I think its time they went into the "lets build a new portable" idea.... it would be way to dumb for sony to be working on a new revision now...

those are just my opinions though...

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

ChronoDog
December 20th, 2007, 03:35
I think it would still be nice to see a new revision of the PSP, like a PSP Slim2 or something, with the following things:

1) BlueTooth support
2) A wider range of wireless modes
3) A built-in microphone ;)
4) A larger-capacity battery

...at the very least :P

DPyro
December 20th, 2007, 04:22
It's just a revision of the PSP slim that won't allow you to use the Pandora battery.

BrooksyX
December 20th, 2007, 04:43
It's just a revision of the PSP slim that won't allow you to use the Pandora battery.

Thats what I was thinking too. Same slim psp just slightly upgraded security via hardware instead of software.

shorty_carnage
December 20th, 2007, 10:30
I hope they dont make a third. i cant afford all three

ab_geee_eee
December 20th, 2007, 14:28
If they do make a new version of the PSP it will eventually be hacked anyway, I remember that when they released version 3.40 or some other version, they said it could not be downgraded but after a few weeks of work it became downgradable. Since I don't have a Slim yet I might just wait and see if they do release a new one :)

anonymous1471
December 20th, 2007, 17:05
I think it would still be nice to see a new revision of the PSP, like a PSP Slim2 or something, with the following things:

1) BlueTooth support
2) A wider range of wireless modes
3) A built-in microphone ;)
4) A larger-capacity battery

...at the very least :P
Also a built in camera

JPJunkie
December 20th, 2007, 17:11
It's not gonna happen

ab_geee_eee
December 20th, 2007, 17:32
yea i dont think they're that stupid to release one so fast after they just release the slim one

F9zDark
December 20th, 2007, 18:14
Sweet news, just when I was getting ready to accept the idea that DA quit the scene.

New PSP revision though? Hmm. However, I don't think it will be the PSP "phone" that we have hearing about. Sure a PSP phone could boost sales, I'd certainly buy one if it worked on verizon, but knowing Sony threw in that T-mobile Hotspot shit, I have a feeling that wont be the case.

But I doubt it will be anything major.

Shadowblind
December 20th, 2007, 18:46
Sweet news, just when I was getting ready to accept the idea that DA quit the scene.

New PSP revision though? Hmm. However, I don't think it will be the PSP "phone" that we have hearing about. Sure a PSP phone could boost sales, I'd certainly buy one if it worked on verizon, but knowing Sony threw in that T-mobile Hotspot shit, I have a feeling that wont be the case.

But I doubt it will be anything major.

I hope its not a phone. Other then being absolutely unoriginal (like Microsoft may be if they make a ****ing Zune phone) it'd be charged with monthly fees for phone service even if you just want the game system.

The only problem I have with them making a PSP 2 is that it will more then likely be near impossible to hack and homebrew mod. But you never know, i guess...

urherenow
December 20th, 2007, 18:46
everything here is hearsay... nobody knows the official scoop and you could look at every suggestion at LEAST 2 different ways.
For example... Pandora proofing:

Sony Still needs a way to repair bricked PSP's. Since it's too small to use a socket for the BIOS (as if it would because piracy would still be all too easy) replacing BIOS chips would be too costly. So... without the service mode battery, there would still have to be a service mode trigger for that, be it hardware or software, both of which can be cracked. Waste of time for them.

Umnnn... if it were going to be a PSP Phone there would have to be different firmwares for different carriers... but of course it would have bluetooth.

What I would assume is some other futile solution they came up with to combat Pandora. The battery will still work (see my first point) but the software will have to be cracked again and what not because of maybe upgraded Kirk hardware/sig checks or sth. At least this would make the most sense to me (and it would be no different than when they changed the mobo twice before the slim came out)

Qmark
December 20th, 2007, 20:06
In any case, it would just be plain silly for Sony to make any public announcement of a new hardware until January.

My guess would be a PSP with slightly more system flashram, as the newer firmwares are using something in the realm of 98% of the available space.
Another guess would be a gimped model for the Chinese market, similar to Nintendo's iQue from a few years back. The only way PSP would even approach "secure" would be sealing the battery, removing the USB and MS ports, and tossing in a meager amount of encrypted internal user flash.

Shrygue
December 20th, 2007, 20:48
I think Sony should wait for at least 5 years or so until coming up with another version of the PSP, like they did with the PS2 - that came out in 2000, 4-5 years after the first Playstation was made.

ab_geee_eee
December 20th, 2007, 21:23
I think Sony should wait for at least 5 years or so until coming up with another version of the PSP, like they did with the PS2 - that came out in 2000, 4-5 years after the first Playstation was made.

Yes I agree, they should make a whole new handheld console with better graphics and whatever but not so suddenly. They should wait a few years because they have had the PSP Phat for like 3 years and the Slim for less than a year and it wouldn't make much sense releasing a new version of a PSP because they would have wasted money and hardware on the Slim and they haven't sold enough in my opinion. They did the same with the PS2 and PS3, if the PS2 came out 2000 then as you see they have released the PS3 after a few years (at least 5 years I think).

LAMPRO
December 20th, 2007, 23:28
psp phone, i remember seeing the submission for a sony ericsson patent on engadget regarding some sort of phonegaming device- but not the n-gage. it was speculated it was a potential future gaming phone by sony- i think the comments on the page were leaning towards a PSPhone. Man, that would kill the iphone in a heartbeat- imo.

jeegee
December 21st, 2007, 00:36
via eXophase.com (http://exophase.com/psp/380-m33-coming-third-psp-model-in-the-works-2838.htm)

While working on 3.80 M33, the two found a peculiar string in the IPL’s payload file — pspbtcnf_03g.bin. What does this mean? Well, flashback to a few months ago when a string referring to pspbtcnf_02g.bin was found in firmware 2.71. Once the PSP Slim was finally released, it was discovered that “02g” was none other than a codename for the slim hardware.

lots of speculation off such a small piece of information :Dall i can say is cant wait for this cfw. i need it to keep up with my ps3 updates:(

Veskgar
December 21st, 2007, 05:53
I'm really looking forward to a 3.80 M33. I'm overwhelmed by appreciation for what Dark_AleX and Mathieulh have given us over the year. Last Christmas was out of this world thanks to the 3.xx OE CFW and and gpSP 0.9 being released all in the same week. Now this Christmas we may get 3.80 M33?

How lucky we are!

luxoflux
December 21st, 2007, 20:17
Nobody seemed to complain about the two revisions of the gba models, why start now lol.

F9zDark
December 23rd, 2007, 20:13
everything here is hearsay... nobody knows the official scoop and you could look at every suggestion at LEAST 2 different ways.
For example... Pandora proofing:

Sony Still needs a way to repair bricked PSP's. Since it's too small to use a socket for the BIOS (as if it would because piracy would still be all too easy) replacing BIOS chips would be too costly. So... without the service mode battery, there would still have to be a service mode trigger for that, be it hardware or software, both of which can be cracked. Waste of time for them.

Umnnn... if it were going to be a PSP Phone there would have to be different firmwares for different carriers... but of course it would have bluetooth.

What I would assume is some other futile solution they came up with to combat Pandora. The battery will still work (see my first point) but the software will have to be cracked again and what not because of maybe upgraded Kirk hardware/sig checks or sth. At least this would make the most sense to me (and it would be no different than when they changed the mobo twice before the slim came out)

The reigning theory since the PSP's launch and subsequent homebrew scene was that the serial port served this purpose. It wasn't until Pandora's Battery was leaked (by a Sony tech leaving the service battery in a person's PSP before shipping) that hackers thought it was the battery.

Sony could easily change this now, or make a different battery for the purpose and make standard batteries impossible to use for this purpose.

AshtonNewton
December 23rd, 2007, 20:29
Does anyone know about when this is going to come out gotta love the internet radio.

fundash26
January 2nd, 2008, 18:55
yea i dont think they're that stupid to release one so fast after they just release the slim one

they found 02g in 2.71,and look how long it took for them to make the slim.

F9zDark
January 2nd, 2008, 19:20
they found 02g in 2.71,and look how long it took for them to make the slim.

Make and release are two very different things. Sony was undoubtedly working on R&D of the slim for 6 months to a year before it actually came out.

But the problem I see here is that people are taking Hardware Revision to mean another SKU. Sure the hardware revision could end up being another SKU, but Sony could easily make a change to the Slim or Fat PSP, under the name of Hardware Revision and not announce or release it as a "new" PSP.