PDA

View Full Version : PS2Dev.org: Is Sony blocking 3D access?

wraggster
December 20th, 2007, 22:04
The "otheros" option has provided a great opportunity for the homebrew development community to develop and innovate with the PS3. Over the last few months a few people that use our forums have been investigating using the 3D aspects of the PS3 GPU. It's a very powerful element of the PS3, so naturally people want to use it. In the last firmware update (version 2.10), the ability to access the 3D graphics has been modified. The method our users have been using has been removed. It is not currently clear if Sony is intentionally removing access to 3D aspects for "otheros" users. Can we get an official statement on whether Sony is intentionally blocking 3D access?

The main reason for this post is that I am concerned that it is Sony's intention to block access to the 3D aspects of the GPU entirely. I believe this is extremely short sighted. The level of access provided by the firmware prior to 2.10 has been accepted and understood by developers. By blocking access to 3D aspects of the GPU, Sony will encourage developers to find exploits that bypass the hypervisor security. These exploits once found may lead the way for further bypassing of security mechanisms. I understand that Sony might want to keep access to the 3D aspects of the hardware for exclusive use by PS3 commercial games. However, what is the danger of allowing homebrew developers access this hardware? Is Sony concerned a developer will create a great homebrew game and sell it through a different channel? The market for "otheros" developers is so tiny that it would not be worth while. It would actually be an opportunity for Sony to potentially pick up and improve some small games ready for the Playstation Network. The reasons to allow access are numerous. Developers will create a better experience when using Linux, create great demos that explore the hardware?s capabilities and maybe create some basic games. None of these things are threatening to Sony's core business.

Another reason for this post is that I believe it will be beneficial to have a contact point with Sony so that we can understand what aspects of the hypervisor Sony does not want investigated. Discussing these will help me and other moderators develop the right forums rules for the PS3. I believe that by having some communication between "otheros" developers and Sony will ensure that the facility is used for what was intended; to create a thriving innovative knowledgeable community.

http://ps2dev.org/News/Is_Sony_blocking_3D_access%3F