PDA

View Full Version : NetHack DS V1.10 Released

wraggster
December 20th, 2007, 23:11
News/release from Abcd1234: (http://frodo.dyn.gno.org/~brettk/NetHackDS)

Welcome to the home page for my port of NetHack to the Nintendo DS. The goal of this project is to create a port of NetHack for the DS utilizing the unique features of the DS to create an easy-to-use NetHacking experience. I think I've succeeded in that goal. I'm probably wrong.

Features
An unscaled, scrolling map view on the lower screen, which can be interacted with using the touchscreen.
Minimap, message, and status information rendered to the top screen.
Support for 16- and 256-color BMP tilesets, including non-rectangular tiles (tiles must have dimensions which are a multiple of 8, e.g. 8x8, 8x16, etc).
Support for text mode, with optional full color and IBM graphics.
Popup command window for easy access to the full command set.
On-screen keyboard for text input and extended commands.
Keys are almost completely configurable.
Support for both left- and right-handed modes.
Save and restore.
Sleep mode.
News

Version 1.10 Released.

Enhanced the minimap to show additional landmarks, etc.
Added word wrapping support to menus, text display, etc.
Added support for a scrolling command window if the commands don't fit on one page.
With the above, the game now supports larger font sizes.
Added a few additional commands to the command window.
Fixed the message display when paging so previous lines aren't redisplayed erroneously.
Again tried to fix the menu pagedown bug… I think I might have it this time.
If you're interested in trying different fonts, just replace font.bdf with some other BDF-format font. But don't go above an 8x16 font… anything beyond that leaves the game too cramped to be playable.

Incidentally, I've posted a few additional fonts for those who might want something a little larger.

Note, the one thing that isn't wrapped is the prompts. As such, with large fonts, the text will be clipped and users unfamiliar with NetHack may be left confused as to what's being asked. Eventually, I might add some sort of marquee effect, but for now, this is how it is.

Download Here (http://frodo.dyn.gno.org/~brettk/download/NetHackDS_v1.10.zip) and Give Feedback Via Comments

crookedmouth
December 21st, 2007, 07:32
This just keeps getting better. However my card is worn out from adding a new version every day. :)

Seriously though awesome work.